What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Just gassed up my 61 Chrysler so I can do a photoshoot at the Wichita Starliner show on saturday.

sirstude

I understand the soot, we have over a million acres on fire here.  My white truck is basically black.  Headed to Butte for a run tomorrow, but the season is pretty much over, just one more run after this.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

I installed the front passenger side door on the 1948 Simca.  It took a while to line up the 2 hinges & the door stop.  They argued a bit with me.

3 more doors, mean 3 more weeks to get them installed?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Drove home from Kalamazoo, Michigan.  722 miles in the 54 Chevy today.  Old man, Old car, great fun.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

That's a good day, John. Did you check the fuel mileage?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"That's a good day, John. Did you check the fuel mileage?

Not as good as I had hoped.  The engine is not right.  The cold start is still not right and it is not as crisp as it should be.  There may be a vacuum leak somewhere.  22mpg, running 75 to 80 on the Interstate.  Still not bad for an old car.  We had a problem with the brake switch wiring on the way home and had to by-pass some wires which knocked out the cruise.  At Kalamazoo we replaced a rear wheel bearing (another new part failure).  The Michigan Street Rod Association Repair Trailer had everything we needed.  Those guys are great.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, 22 isn't bad. My goal for the 51 was 25. The best it's done is 21.95. This weekend with a severe side wind, 19.5 up and back to Wichita was it. The only hot rods I've seen do real good have been ls's with manual trans. I've seen 26 on a 39 Ford coupe from this area. Using the corvette gear ratios made that possible. When I filled up sunday morning, I had put 4960 miles on the 51. I haven't had a bearing failure, yet. :) All wheel bearings and rear end bearings were new. In the past I've had a 20% failure on bearings. This just seems to be the way it is now. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

When I redid the wheel cylinders on the Yeoman, I debated on going with roller bearings in the front, to replace the original ball bearings, but decided against it. It's run this long on them w/o problems, so why push it? I guess I did the right thing.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

Started teaching my machining night class tonight . This thing is getting popular , I have 23 students again .

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"Started teaching my machining night class tonight . This thing is getting popular , I have 23 students again .

I chatted with a friend on machine shops ... His family's Industrial  machine shop was established in 1907 here in phoenix.

he said that they receive calls for leads to machinist that they may have let go or people quit. Seems to be a shortage of personnel
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I don't know if any of you listen to Hot Rod Radio but on Wings programs for 8-26-17, hour 1 part 2 , the 1st song I think you guys might find really entertaining. I thought I'd post this here instead of a separate thread.
TEAM SMART

416Ford

Installed my home made cowl patch for the Torino last night and cut out  the heal area of the driver floor that was starting to get thin. I had been working on the cowl area for a long time, finally had the car back in the shop so I could weld it in.
https://goo.gl/photos/H6rqEUj4jJ6J5DYq7
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

58 Yeoman

I installed the new fuel gauge sending unit in the Yeoman that I bought from Bob's Classic Chevy. It's made in Taiwan instead of China. Looks like a quality piece and works well so far. Luckily, there is a drain plug on the gas tank that allowed me to drain about 10 gallons of gas, and the sending unit is in the upper front of the tank, so I didn't have to drop it.

I checked the gauge when I let it down off the air jack, and it read near empty. I dumped in the gas that I drained and it's almost 3/4. Good. The old sending unit was all rusty. Must've been from when I used ethanol? Since I moved here, I use non-ethanol premium. I had cleaned and coated the tank with Eastwood stuff back in the late 80's when I had the tank out.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "kb426"That's a good day, John. Did you check the fuel mileage?

Not as good as I had hoped.  The engine is not right.  The cold start is still not right and it is not as crisp as it should be.  There may be a vacuum leak somewhere.  22mpg, running 75 to 80 on the Interstate.  Still not bad for an old car.  We had a problem with the brake switch wiring on the way home and had to by-pass some wires which knocked out the cruise.  At Kalamazoo we replaced a rear wheel bearing (another new part failure).  The Michigan Street Rod Association Repair Trailer had everything we needed.  Those guys are great.

John

I saw your cat at the MHRA area a couple times, I thought it was a rear bearing problem. Glad you could get it fixed.

kb426

Dave and Phil, it's great you're making progress. :)
TEAM SMART