What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

We took our bicycles to the Hennepin Canal towpath to ride. My wife says to check the air in the tires, so I did. Sidewall says between 40 and 65. Okay, put almost 65 in all of them. We usually ride for 4 miles in one direction (standard one speed bikes with balloon tires). We got to the 4 mile mark, stopped and had a break. On the way back, at total 5.5 miles, my rear tire blew; sounded like a shotgun going off. Bikes are only two years old. Long 2.5 mile walk back to the truck. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Frank,

Regarding the CTS-V T56... I have a 2005 that came to me early last year with 178,000 miles on the clock. The trans was "loose" but worked. I found a used 10,000 mile trans and swapped it when we put in a new flywheel and all associated parts plus a new Hurst shifter from a guy who converts a new Camaro unit to work in the V. I sold the "old" trans and have put almost 7,000 miles on the new one.

The V is an awesome touring machine....maybe the best long haul car I've ever had though it does have a few quirks. Runs like a scalded cat though.

The car this one is for has had the engine hotted up considerably. He has already installed a 8.8 31 spine IRS conversion. The T56 I built has billet syncro keys, three element carbon fiber syncro rings with stippled outer rings, fully splined mainshaft and 5-6 cluster, and steel shift forks installed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"We took our bicycles to the Hennepin Canal towpath to ride. My wife says to check the air in the tires, so I did. Sidewall says between 40 and 65. Okay, put almost 65 in all of them. We usually ride for 4 miles in one direction (standard one speed bikes with balloon tires). We got to the 4 mile mark, stopped and had a break. On the way back, at total 5.5 miles, my rear tire blew; sounded like a shotgun going off. Bikes are only two years old. Long 2.5 mile walk back to the truck. :shock:

That seems to be going around lately  ..... :oops:  :roll:  :lol:    Did it hurt the fender  :?:  :shock:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

Hey Bob...No, I had it under control the whole time. I was doing a whopping 8 mph, as per the aftermarket digital speedo, on a semi-paved path with no other traffic other than my wife. I'm glad I didn't lose control and run into the canal, as I can't swim. :shock:  :lol:

Sorry, no photo's!

Phil

UGLY OLDS

I FINALLY finished the DD pick-up frame cleaning / painting /brake lines / fuel lines / fuel tank & pump / blasting & painting the bottom of the bed .... :roll:   Good thing I don't do this for a living anymore ... :oops:   I would prolly owe the boss money... :shock:
I just hope that all this work will help make it last a few years longer ...It's a nice truck without all the modern bells,whistles & gizmo's today's trucks have .. :roll:  
 If I ever see rust again under there ....... :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Bob... :wink:

idrivejunk

Bob it sounds like you are ready for me to drop mine off for the same treatment, just think of the body as a bed. You can even pay me when you're done! :D

In other rust war news, the Bronco theater is still under heavy fighting conditions with the floor line holding but heavy Taiwanese attacks on the door and fender fronts resulting in high casualties. That means I left off the floors before welding and started fitting cheap aftermarket panels to the truck. Not going too good but so far one side might fly.

I did not take any pics today but did add some new ones to the Biscayne-primer blog post over the weekend. :)  

Oh and I know I'll sound like a broken record but... Pic posting problems again. The PC quit altogether. Don't know what I'll do now. Sick of the constant stream of equipment failures and setbacks and workarounds. Sometimes life forces you to run not walk, y'know?
Matt

58 Yeoman

My wife and I spent about an hour and a half looking for the tube of 3M adhesive that I used on the dash of the Galaxie. I wanted to use it to glue the rubber inserts for bottles into the plastic shell on the console of my 14 Tacoma. Whoever came up with that idea needs to go back to school. I figured that the adhesive would glue the rubber to the plastic, so when we pull the water bottle out of it, the rubber stays in the plastic holder instead of coming out with the bottle.

Anyway, I finally found it in a drawer with sanding disks, etc., where I put it so I would be able to find it easier when I needed it...like today. Getting old...you've got to love it, or you'll go nuts.  Got the inserts glued in, so now we'll see if they stay glued or not. Wife says not, I say it will. Time will tell.

Spent the rest of the afternoon checking out the brakes on the Galaxie. Pulls hard to the right, and if I really hit the brakes, I can feel the left front brake finally kick in. Geez... I've got the car up on jacks, wheels off, drums off, and I have to hammer the pistons out of both left side cylinders. I'm surprised that the brakes even stopped the car. I honed the front, and it would be salvageable, but not the rear. Call NAPA. Yes, we have the rears, fronts tomorrow. Cool. How about bearing seals and valve cover gaskets. Yep, they'll be here tomorrow morning also. AHHHH....

It should be back on the road tomorrow. Hmm...NAPA is about $7 cheaper on the front cylinders than O'Reilly's. Didn't check the rear prices. But wait! The Yeoman comes next, as the left front brake isn't working on it either. I'm hoping that the fronts are salvageable, as no fronts seems to be available, just the rears. I put those brakes on new in the early 90's, and they just now crapped out. Not bad I guess.

Phil

UGLY OLDS

Phil ..Try Rock Auto ...They seem to have quite a selection ...Wheel Cyls & kits .....Master cyl & kits ..Shoes ..Hoses ...Drums ..etc ....

Bob ... :wink:

58 Yeoman

Tried RA also. Seems everyone has kits, so I"m hoping that the cylinders are okay. Kanter has them as a last resort. $44 each for the fronts. More than twice as much as NAPA charges for the Galaxie, $18 each. O'reilly's wanted $24 each for the fronts for the Ford. At least I know that they are available.

Phil

idrivejunk

A strange plague of bugs hit the shop recently. As of today there are 3 Beetles present. I am still working on the Bronco floors. :roll:
Matt

kb426

Matt, I'm guessing you mean really large beetles. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

After looking at Tony's post about his Enco motor, I dug my old mill motor out and disassembled the fan end. I wasn't as fortunate as he. My start parts were as they should be. The motor is still dead. Back to the scrap pile. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Received last parts for the sway bar install on my 1962 Falcon.  I bought new end links, & the complete bushing mounts for the bar.  Some where in my pile o junk here.... likely the OEM bushing straps are located.

The sway bar is 18mm.  Listed as 18mm in a few places like Rock Auto.  I was surprised it was listed and measured 18mm on a 1962 Ford car.

No test drive yet..  it hit 109 here today.  I would think the Falcon will lean way less in a turn now.

I can not find the outside rear view mirror for the Falcon.   Another part I took off when drag racin the car
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, I'm guessing you mean really large beetles. :)

More like love bugs. They love sauerkraut!  :lol:

Beaver Lake is very near the shop though and we do see some truly outstanding insect specimens occasionally.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Almost done with front floors on the Bronco job. Once I had everything screwed down, I fitted the crappy doors and tacked the skins in place. Biscayne firewall shave is almost there and the chassis looks ready.
Matt