What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"Once again, I am boned by shipping.

I ordered a part online. Shipping location was listed as:  Many US locations

Turns out: this part was shipped in Tempe AZ , arrived at USPS Origin Facility on Wednesday 9:31am ...Then:   1 hour & 15 minutes later...The same day , The package is in Los Angeles CA at USPS Network Distribution Center.

As of today (24 hrs later)  the package has not travelled any where Or at least has not been scanned ?

:(D)

I bought some parts on Ebay yesterday about 2pm. Aug 7 delivery date. They arrived in the mail today at noon.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
I bought some parts on Ebay yesterday about 2pm. Aug 7 delivery date. They arrived in the mail today at noon.

My part was off eBay too.

Ordered monday eve July 31.

Shipped from Tempe AZ on Tuesday August 1 .  About 18 miles from my house.

Arrived Friday August 4..

Why the H would this package go to Los Angeles , then back to Gilbert AZ ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I just cleaned both trucks. The 51 was covered with rain/road grime from last weekend. Bug and bird splatter. Back to the shop for hopefully a more productive day. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Hey Tony, you should've gone to pick it up. I sold a bench vise on ebay last week, and a guy that works in East Peoria, IL (about 25 miles south of me) bought it and asked if he could pick it up. I said yes. He lives in Kewanee, IL, about 40 miles west of me. He goes through my town on his way to/from work. That worked out well for both of us.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"

My part was off eBay too.

Ordered monday eve July 31.

Shipped from Tempe AZ on Tuesday August 1 .  About 18 miles from my house.

Arrived Friday August 4..

Why the H would this package go to Los Angeles , then back to Gilbert AZ ?

Because of the way they sort packages. 99 percent of the packages outbound UPS packages shipped in the Phoenix area are not going to the Phoenix area, so they are shipped to LA for sort. The one percent that go to the Phoenix area are then shipped back along with the 99 percent of Phoenix packages coming from elsewhere in the country.

In my case the package was sent USPS from Milford Mi. The sort hub for Milford is New Boston Mi, which is also the sort hub for Swanton Oh. If it had been sent from Delta Oh, five miles away, it would have been sent to New Boston Mi, and then back to Swanton. Shipped from Bryan Oh, 30 miles away, it would have gone to Indianapolis, to New Boston, to Swanton. That is just the cheapest way to do it.

If it was shipped UPS Air it would have gone to Louisville Ky for sort, then back to Phoenix. All US air freight for UPS is sorted in Louisville.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteAnd if you're going to repair your clock, using the quartz movement will get you twice as far as using a pintz movement ...

QuoteI may look into converting the clock. not sure. Maybe a winter time project.

Hmmmmmmmm......Maybe I need to review my stuff....... :?  :?  :?  :roll:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Because of the way they sort packages. 99 percent of the packages outbound UPS packages shipped in the Phoenix area are not going to the Phoenix area, so they are shipped to LA for sort. The one percent that go to the Phoenix area are then shipped back along with the 99 percent of Phoenix packages coming from elsewhere in the country.

In my case the package was sent USPS from Milford Mi. The sort hub for Milford is New Boston Mi, which is also the sort hub for Swanton Oh. If it had been sent from Delta Oh, five miles away, it would have been sent to New Boston Mi, and then back to Swanton. Shipped from Bryan Oh, 30 miles away, it would have gone to Indianapolis, to New Boston, to Swanton. That is just the cheapest way to do it.

If it was shipped UPS Air it would have gone to Louisville Ky for sort, then back to Phoenix. All US air freight for UPS is sorted in Louisville.

This was on USPS..  

I often ship the same size packages on USPS ... they are sorted here in main Phx distribution hub, then off to where ever.

IF you are familiar with size.  package was a #0 bubble padded envelop , same size I use often.  Same design printed tag I use from USPS online with my USPS account or printed off eBay or PayPal sites.  Some times I use the USPS Flat rate boxes.  Same situation.  Sorted at the hub here in Phx

I take my packages to the USPS office, drop in the bin on the wall that is marked for such packages.

maybe this was a special rate from bulk shipper company in Tempe?

Could have been here in 1 day , not 3 days.

:?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

69GP was a little tilted this morning, had to plug a front tire. Screw wasn't half an inch long.
Matt

enjenjo

After 2 months of waiting for parts, waiting again for the RIGHT parts, and dealing with some health problems I finally finished rebuilding a CTS-V T56. The first rebuild kit I received was the wrong one, I sent it back, and they sent me another wrong one. both time I dealt with the same person. I then sent the vendor pictures of what I had, got a new sales person, and "ding, ding", they sent me the wrong kit twice! "the catalog was wrong", Right!

Any way a T56 is probably the most difficult car transmission I have done. I had to make several special tools and fixtures.

kb426

Frank, what made the t56 so different than a 3550 or t5?
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I spent a good part of today troweling blacktop patch onto the 'alligatoring' spots on my blacktop driveway. A couple years ago, my wife and I sealed the ~200 foot driveway with Menard's blacktop sealer. The next year it disappeared. I had a blacktop company come and assess the driveway. He said it just needed sealing, and he did it cheaper than I could do it. So...two years later, it's due again, but I wanted to fill in the alligator spots with something heavy before he seals it again.

Someone from NY on another forum says that he's been using portland cement for 20+ years with great results. He uses a drop spreader to lightly cover blacktop driveways, then mists it with water. A couple times a year, and your driveway will last much longer.  Maybe I'll try that in a couple years when it's due again. Of course, it won't be black anymore.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, what made the t56 so different than a 3550 or t5?

The T56 has to be disassembled back to front. The tail housing has to come off, then the mainshaft has to be disassembled as far as the bulkhead, reluctor ring, reverse gear and shift fork, and 5-6 cluster. All except the reverse gear are pressed on. Then the rear countershaft can be removed, it has a shift fork and the 5-6 syncro on it. At this point you disassemble the top shift rod as far as the bulkhead, there is also a side shift rod you disassembled to remove reverse and the 5-6 shift fork. At this point your remove the bolts in the front adapter, stand the transmission vertically with the front down, and slide the case off every thing else. Then you can remove the front cluster, the shift rails, and the mainshaft. There are 6 pocket bearing races, three of which have to be pulled with a puller. There six bearings that have be pulled with a bearing separator rather than a puller. Assembly is the reverse, and you can't see any of the front gears or shift forks when you are putting it together, and there are two interlocks between the two shift rods.

3550 is similar but every thing come out in one piece, and a T5 has a top cover. both of them are easy. The T56 is kind of like building a ship in a bottle. And the parts are dear. A rebuild kit, the mainshaft, and one gear were over $1200.

chimp koose

Well tomorrow morning begins my trip to speed week . Off to Calgary to load up everything and then to Wendover and setting up . I am a bit excited as this is definitely a bucket list activity .

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank,

Regarding the CTS-V T56... I have a 2005 that came to me early last year with 178,000 miles on the clock. The trans was "loose" but worked. I found a used 10,000 mile trans and swapped it when we put in a new flywheel and all associated parts plus a new Hurst shifter from a guy who converts a new Camaro unit to work in the V. I sold the "old" trans and have put almost 7,000 miles on the new one.

The V is an awesome touring machine....maybe the best long haul car I've ever had though it does have a few quirks. Runs like a scalded cat though.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!