What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "ragdol"At a swap meet this spring I got quotes to chrome my '55 New Yorker bumpers, they ranged from $1,000 to $1,800.

The best price I can get in my area for my skinny little bumpers is $499.00 EACH...We decided on a REAL shiny silver paint to improve what we have now ...I can't afford $1K for a pair of bumper bars ... :roll:  :shock:

If I knew exactly what year & model they were , I could prolly by new for less than that ..... :idea:

I don't care for the "Briz" ribbed bumper look.... :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "ragdol"At a swap meet this spring I got quotes to chrome my '55 New Yorker bumpers, they ranged from $1,000 to $1,800.

The best price I can get in my area for my skinny little bumpers is $499.00 EACH...We decided on a REAL shiny silver paint to improve what we have now ...I can't afford $1K for a pair of bumper bars ... :roll:  :shock:

If I knew exactly what year & model they were , I could prolly by new for less than that ..... :idea:

Bob, did you try Quality Plating in Sterling?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Bob, did you try Quality Plating in Sterling?

No , but I will give them a call...

Thanks ..

Bob ..  :wink:

UGLY OLDS

Hey Phil ..I just checked the website for Quality in Sterling ...Their website price list shows $495.00 for a '40 Ford bumper ...Mine are about the same size ...Everyplace I looked , everyone had good things to say about them ...I just can't afford to spend that kind of $$$$...

Thanks for the lead ..

Bob  :wink:

58 Yeoman

Yeah, back in the early 2000's, I had the 41 Pontiac bumpers, grills, all handles, parts under the headlights, hood pieces, bumper guards and end pieces, tail light bezels, trunk handle, etc all done for about $1500. Tried selling some of it off before selling the car, but not many 41 Poncho's out there.

Phil

58 Yeoman

The clock in the Galaxie doesn't work (do any?), and I read on the 'net on how the points can get burnt if your battery runs low on voltage. Well, my points have continuity, but the small coil that is supposed to separate the points has zero ohms resistance. I'm going to assume that that coil is toast, as in shorted out?

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Once again, I am boned by shipping.

I ordered a part online. Shipping location was listed as:  Many US locations

Turns out: this part was shipped in Tempe AZ , arrived at USPS Origin Facility on Wednesday 9:31am ...Then:   1 hour & 15 minutes later...The same day , The package is in Los Angeles CA at USPS Network Distribution Center.

As of today (24 hrs later)  the package has not travelled any where Or at least has not been scanned ?

:(D)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I'm spending the day working on the new project. I plan to get a lot accomplished. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The clock in the Galaxie doesn't work (do any?), and I read on the 'net on how the points can get burnt if your battery runs low on voltage. Well, my points have continuity, but the small coil that is supposed to separate the points has zero ohms resistance. I'm going to assume that that coil is toast, as in shorted out?

You might consider doing a quartz clock conversion on it. There are kits available, just do a search .
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Yeah, I ran across that video on why clocks don't work, and I thought it would be fun to see if that was my problem. Looks like it burned out the coil instead. He did mention that if your clock does work, to put a 1 or 2 amp fuse inline so the fuse will blow instead of burning up your clock. Frank, I did look into converting it; found a couple places online, and one even told you what tools you needed, but I think I'll pass. It's not like I drive it every day. Week. Month...

I did find one of those small FM converters at a garage sale for a buck, and wouldn't you you know it...it works. Wow...now I've got FM in the Galaxie. Also, my older brother gave me a reverberator that he had in his 63 ages ago. Still on the fence with that one. My oldest brother also had one in his 63 Chevy SS, and later I had one in my Bug. Sounded pretty good at the time.

Phil

UGLY OLDS

Gee Phil, why would you hesitate on installing a reverboratorororororororor  :?:  :shock:  :lol:

BOINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.. :shock:   ( oops ...We hit a bump..... 8)  8) )

And if you're going to repair your clock, using the quartz movement will get you twice as far as using a pintz movement ... :? :oops:

Bob... :wink:

58 Yeoman

Bob, my oldest brother and I both had the Motorola reverbs that had the springs in the box, and mounted in the trunk. I remember the boinngs going over bumps. The one my older brother gave me is a smaller box and is mounted under the dash. I don't remember what it sounded like. No instructions, so I may not try it out. At least now, I have an am/fm radio in the Galaxie. All I'd need would be to fry it.

I may look into converting the clock. not sure. Maybe a winter time project.

How is your Olds coming along?

Phil

kb426

Phil, I had the smaller one in a 67 Mustang GTA. It may have had a problem but it wasn't near as good as the original spring tanks. The original Motorola was a real cool deal for it's time. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Bob, my oldest brother and I both had the Motorola reverbs that had the springs in the box, and mounted in the trunk. I remember the boinngs going over bumps. The one my older brother gave me is a smaller box and is mounted under the dash. I don't remember what it sounded like. No instructions, so I may not try it out. At least now, I have an am/fm radio in the Galaxie. All I'd need would be to fry it.

I may look into converting the clock. not sure. Maybe a winter time project.

I have done the conversion using later model quartz clocks from the junk yard. from about 71 or so most cars used them until they went digital.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"I have a worn out 1984 Enco lathe... 240 volt , single phase.

Tried to fire it up this morning.  Buzz was all it would do.  Happened a few months ago, i checked wires then and it's been happy since.

Looks like the starter capacitor is bad.

Tested with my multi metrer on CAP setting.  Numbers are low at .0034 , then drop to zero , then to: O L

Guess I will scare up a new capacitor , see if that helps

The new capacitor arrived.  Installed.  The lathe would still not start correctly. Lots of buzzin , slow spin action.

Took the end cover off.  Removed the cooling fan.

That is when I noticed the start weight governor assembly had moved inward about 1/8 inch.  Witness mark of clean metal on the shaft told me how far it had moved.

Also, Look at red box in photo.  You can see the weight assembly had been rubbing on the contacts with black arc residue

Adjusted the location of the start thingy.   Added a screw where one was missing on the plate , shown in other red box.

Clean metal of the shaft is where the cooling fan sits.  All good now

Lathe works great.  Motor has not started up this quickly in a few years.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)