What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Bob, I know you're a long way from me. If I was closer, I'd try to help. I hope this isn't too painful. :)
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "kb426"How about 7075 t6 step plates? :) I made simple effective step plates for the 51 today. This is left over 7075 t6 alum that is brushed for a finish look. I kept thinking I would have a good idea but I gave up for time being. The more I drove it, the more scratches were appearing. I admitted defeat. :)

KB ... When we built the Olds back in 95ish, we straightened the stock boards & covered them with rubber "Hallway runner".... You get it at the local hardware or big box store by the yard off of a big roll ...After 20 some years in the weather & an occasional splash of rubber dressing or Armor-All, they held up quite well...After our latest adventure, the covers are still in decent shape ...The boards, Ahh, not so much soo... :roll:

Bob.. :wink:

Took me pretty much my whole driving life to figure out winter floor mats.
  By accident. I had something with the drivers floor rotted through right at the rocker. I could not find a floor mat..winter..with the configuration to move it over further to the left to cover the hole :lol:
  I would have to get something/cut it to fit. Hall runners. Big box store.

BOTH my winter vehicles. Regular factory floor plus those thin factory floor mats plus winter floor mats PLUS hall runners with THICK carpet on top cut to fit and TURNED UPSIDE DOWN. No pedal issues on either with work boots on.

I cut them so that they go right to the edge of the door when closed.
  ( I think they design winter floor mats so that there is a gap between the edge of the mat that is SUPPOSED to catch the handful of slush and the rocker SO that this wet mess of glop that falls off your boots as you get in can sit there saturating everything. With the carpet turned upside down it absorbs this and wicks it up quick)
   The rubber part of the runner now on top dries so fast that the dirt left is just like dust.

kb426

I'm getting caught up a little. :) Frank, the reason I didn't consider Rhinoliner was the cost and a friend had a Jeep that the interior was done with that. It showed wear in the high traffic areas. Matt, the step plates are only .056" thick. I'm just planing on resanding them with 220 when ever they get ugly. A lot of the reasoning was quick and simple so I could get on with the summer plans. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

My wife and I spent the last two weeks in Alaska.  Part of that time was above the artic circle in northwest Alaska at two national parks that only accessible by bush plane.  Great trip.  Glad to be home but we are going back to Alaska next year.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"My wife and I spent the last two weeks in Alaska.  Part of that time was above the artic circle in northwest Alaska at two national parks that only accessible by bush plane.  Great trip.  Glad to be home but we are going back to Alaska next year.

John

Did you get to see the Aurora Borealis the other night?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"My wife and I spent the last two weeks in Alaska.  Part of that time was above the artic circle in northwest Alaska at two national parks that only accessible by bush plane.  Great trip.  Glad to be home but we are going back to Alaska next year.

John

Did you get to see the Aurora Borealis the other night?

No, where we were the sun was visible all day and night.  To see the northern lights, you need clear dark nights.  I learned this while on our trip.  Where we spent four nights, they are really visible in mid winter but it also gets down to 60 below F at that time.  I will not go back there to see the lights when they are visible.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I just spent almost 2 hours reloading audio drivers after windows 10 took a dump and messed them up. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I'm getting caught up a little. :) Frank, the reason I didn't consider Rhinoliner was the cost and a friend had a Jeep that the interior was done with that. It showed wear in the high traffic areas. Matt, the step plates are only .056" thick. I'm just planing on resanding them with 220 when ever they get ugly. A lot of the reasoning was quick and simple so I could get on with the summer plans. :)

Aha. Simple 'nuf.  :)  Sucks about your PC, mine is doing the update nag thing while I try to blog. Plenty of issues with my pile o scrap but after the first four crashes or so I am getting things done. I honestly have not had many if any complaints with 10. Hope you got 'er squared away.

Heres what I have been huffing and puffing over since the Biscayne...

http://chevroldsmobuiac.blogspot.com/2017/07/bronco-repairs.html

but today I did cut and weld for door gap on the right quarter of that one. This morning. Will update that as time allows but I also noticed another familiar car at the shop today.

Started a blog for that too.

http://chevroldsmobuiac.blogspot.com/2017/07/1933-ford.html

Still not quite sure what a blog is but hey looky- pics that stay put!  8)
Matt

chimp koose

I have been busy with non car related stuff lately . Tomorrow I will be replacing a load bearing wall in my living room with a beam . I am used to metal related construction and am constantly frustrated with having to measure the actual size of all lumber as it is under sized . My house was built in '68 , that's when a 2x4 was 1 1/2" x 3 5/8" , not the 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 we have now . Any how , I should have the wall out , beam in , and support wall out by the end of the day . I am going to take a break from this project and work on my 65 merc truck for a bit . I cant remember when I drove it last .

kb426

Tomorrow morning I'm off to Salina. The serious heat wave has broke. It will only be low 90's with 50% humidity. :) I hope you all have a good weekend.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Installed new tires on the rear of the 1962 Falcon.  205-70 x 15 tires.  China built Douglas brand from Wally World.   I figure the tires will flat spot and rot off the car before I wear them out.

The taller tires lowered the RPM  at  cruise  enough.  I am happy.

I knew the tire size was gonna be close to the front of  the wheel well opening.  And:  it is close.  Almost 1/2 inch clearance.  I could have bought 205 - 65 x 15 tires....  I wanted as much height as possible.

I need to bolt the center caps back on.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Looks good Tony. I don't know if it will go fast enough to make the tires grow. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Looks good Tony. I don't know if it will go fast enough to make the tires grow. :roll:

A 383 cid chevy engine will provide a larger amount of umph to the ol Falcon
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

If you need a 383, and wanted to keep it all Ford,  use a 383 out of a 58-59 Mercury. LOL. My oldest brother gave a 59 Merc with a 383, before I even had my license. I learned some things on that car. I r&r'd the heads on the street using a lug wrench and basic hand tools that my dad had lying around. Used all the same gaskets to put it back together, and it ran fine.   Torque wrench. I didn't even know what torque was. Found out later that the reason the engine was running bad was a worn fuel pump arm. Guy at the gas station brazed a nub on the end and it was fine.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Looks good Tony. I don't know if it will go fast enough to make the tires grow. :roll:

A 383 cid chevy engine will provide a larger amount of umph to the ol Falcon

Then I guess a Sawsall will clean that up in a jiffy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.