What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I returned from Salina and have mowed all the yard. :) Now I can get back to other stuff. Had a good time and got to meet some special people that are connected to this forum. Weather was great and I didn't hit rain until half way home. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Looks good Tony. I don't know if it will go fast enough to make the tires grow. :roll:

A 383 cid chevy engine will provide a larger amount of umph to the ol Falcon

Then I guess a Sawsall will clean that up in a jiffy.

I am looking for a kit that bolts the chevy power into the Falcon ... #sarcasm  

:ha)

:-}
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"Installed new tires on the rear of the 1962 Falcon.  205-70 x 15 tires.  China built Douglas brand from Wally World.   I figure the tires will flat spot and rot off the car before I wear them out.

The taller tires lowered the RPM  at  cruise  enough.  I am happy.

I knew the tire size was gonna be close to the front of  the wheel well opening.  And:  it is close.  Almost 1/2 inch clearance.  I could have bought 205 - 65 x 15 tires....  I wanted as much height as possible.

I need to bolt the center caps back on.

Glad you're happy, the car looks fun-ready to me. I put a pair of Douglas tires on the front of my GTP a few months ago and have no complaints thus far. I figured that the crappiest, least desirable tire I could find would be the ones to last forever. For what it's worth, I had been chewing the edge off grippy twice the price rain tires and thinking I had an alignment issue but these are wearing slowly plus nice and even. Did not know they made any 15s, might be good for my '69 for the same reason as yours. Tell us if it drives good now when u get a chance..
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Looks good Tony. I don't know if it will go fast enough to make the tires grow. :roll:

A 383 cid chevy engine will provide a larger amount of umph to the ol Falcon

Then I guess a Sawsall will clean that up in a jiffy.

I am looking for a kit that bolts the chevy power into the Falcon ... #sarcasm  

:ha)

:-}

Bwahahaha. That kit better come with a pack of smokes, lol.
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a worn out 1984 Enco lathe... 240 volt , single phase.

Tried to fire it up this morning.  Buzz was all it would do.  Happened a few months ago, i checked wires then and it's been happy since.

Looks like the starter capacitor is bad.

Tested with my multi metrer on CAP setting.  Numbers are low at .0034 , then drop to zero , then to: O L

Guess I will scare up a new capacitor , see if that helps
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Test drive in the Falcon with new rear tires on it...  Also  I removed the slapper  traction bars.  Installed regular spring retainer plates , new U bolts

Welll...   years ago, I removed the front sway bar & other acc from the Falcon to reduce the weight of the car for the drag strip.

The Falcon needs the sway bar re-installed !  The traction bars must have been acting like a sway bar a little bit.  The Falcon leans soooo much now , even in a mild turn.  Crappy front suspension design I guess.
Tony

UGLY OLDS

Gathering parts ....Fixin' the bent stuff on the bottom ...Moog springs now come powder coated  :!:  Pretty snazzy  & LOW maintenance too..
  BEST of all ...We are taking the time to update to power steering .. :idea:  Something that we should have done on the original build .... :roll:  :(D)
Got 4 new tires ready to mount ....  8)
 I had to visit two different "Big Box" stores to get matching paint .. :?  Rustoleum " Pewter" must be getting popular .. :oops:
Body guy says bring it anytime, we're still shootin for the Zoo..... 8)

Insurance Company has been SUPER good to work with ....  8)

Everybody have a safe trip & a good time at the Nats ....

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

416Ford

Bob, are you going to fix the seam on the left quarter and do a complete repaint when they are doing this work?
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "416Ford"Bob, are you going to fix the seam on the left quarter and do a complete repaint when they are doing this work?

Yep ...That's part of the project ....Also looking for an alternative for re-chroming the bumpers .... :idea:

We're workin' on gettin' the bottom done ASAP..... 8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I had someone tell me last week what it costs to rechrome his bumpers. I was surprised. There's nothing else as durable so when you make the decision, please don't do as I do and ask if you can get by with less than the best so you can redo it later. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteI am looking for a kit that bolts the chevy power into the Falcon

You have that already, in that junk pile in the corner. Just start looking at the junk, and you will find pieces that will work.

In 1986 I had a set of 49 Mercury bumpers straightened and show chromed, it cost $800. In 1995 I had the same bumpers "freshened up" That cost $800 too. In 2005 I had two thirds of a Pontiac front bumper rechromed, that cost $600. I hate to think what it costs now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

At a swap meet this spring I got quotes to chrome my '55 New Yorker bumpers, they ranged from $1,000 to $1,800.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Work on the padded dash stopped for a couple days. I found some 3M adhesive at the body supply store. Found the dash speaker is in bad shape. I'm surprised that I could still hear sound out of it. Went looking for a replacement yesterday and today. HAH! 8 ohms? Nada. all 4 ohm. I did find an electronic shop in the warehouse district in Peoria that called a guy for me that would re-cone it for me. Price? $125. Uh...no, I don't listen to the radio that much.

Came home and found a pair on Amazon that should work with a little work. $45. That's better.

What is the part number on the adhesive? I like the 3M urethane glass adhesive in tubes for gluing down the dash cover. It will never come loose, and does not break down the foam. 3M Polyurethane Glass Adhesive Sealant 590 Black  About 20 minutes set time.

Thanks Frank. I ordered that adhesive and used it on the dash. It stuck very well. But...I've said it before and I'll say it again, no more padded dashes for me. I don't know if they are made so far off that it takes mucho 'shaving' of the padding to fit or not, but this one sure was. I'm mostly done now...just have to get the a/c motor to run again; I think I forgot to attach a ground wire on that.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Work on the padded dash stopped for a couple days. I found some 3M adhesive at the body supply store. Found the dash speaker is in bad shape. I'm surprised that I could still hear sound out of it. Went looking for a replacement yesterday and today. HAH! 8 ohms? Nada. all 4 ohm. I did find an electronic shop in the warehouse district in Peoria that called a guy for me that would re-cone it for me. Price? $125. Uh...no, I don't listen to the radio that much.

Came home and found a pair on Amazon that should work with a little work. $45. That's better.

What is the part number on the adhesive? I like the 3M urethane glass adhesive in tubes for gluing down the dash cover. It will never come loose, and does not break down the foam. 3M Polyurethane Glass Adhesive Sealant 590 Black  About 20 minutes set time.

Thanks Frank. I ordered that adhesive and used it on the dash. It stuck very well. But...I've said it before and I'll say it again, no more padded dashes for me. I don't know if they are made so far off that it takes mucho 'shaving' of the padding to fit or not, but this one sure was. I'm mostly done now...just have to get the a/c motor to run again; I think I forgot to attach a ground wire on that.

I'm glad it worked for you. It also works good on running board covers.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

QuoteI am looking for a kit that bolts the chevy power into the Falcon

You have that already, in that junk pile in the corner. Just start looking at the junk, and you will find pieces that will work.

Um; junk pile? ... I sold that car about 5 years ago.

:wink:  :wink:
Tony