What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I made simple covers for the seat mounts and tracks. Plain but functional.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I see Harbor Freight has released new cordless tools.  Lith-ion battery power drills - drivers, cut off grinder.

Hercules brand   20 volt

Been wondering when they would bring these tools to market with Lith-ion power
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

KB, I like your work  8)  Thanks for keeping us posted on your adventures.

Today was a short Friday, best kind. Getting hot out but I pointed a lens at some stuff for ya. Only just got back to work yesterday but I stuck that 67 Datsun together as a final mock up. It had one last pesky gap issue that I worked out. Now that body work and chassis are completed, its time to bill the current chunk then see how soon the owner wants to blow it apart and shoot it. Theres a safe place for it and its all in one lump, if it needs to sit a spell.

Then heres this. Guy taking it apart tells me the body and chassis numbers indicate ten years' difference but we're calling it a '57. The gentleman who owns it encountered me first when he initially came by the shop and we spoke about body bracing and stuff. Apparantly I didn't run him off, haha. Car has rust in the tire well, battery tray, and probably floors. That previously replaced rear pan needs to be re-done at the rear at least. Anyhow, its cute and there is some flake on it currently but I don't know that you can see it here.

Looks like this one is up next for me... I guarantee it to be full of suprises!

Matt

kb426

That Datsun gets my feeble mind running. There are so many neat engine combos that could go in along with modern suspension and brakes. Monster Miata style. :) I see you have one more sun roof hole to deal with. I'm glad that fad seems to have passed.
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

The VW is probably a '68 , that was the 1st year for a gas door & collapisble (sp) steering column. If it has CV joints in the rear instead of old style swing axle it could be a '69 or '70. The vin is stamped on the center tunnel just in front of the oval access plate for the shift rod under the back seat, the 3rd digit is the year, ie 158 is a 1968 model.  Many thanks for taking the time for your posts, I really enjoy reading & maybe learning the right way to do something.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "papastoyss"The VW is probably a '68 , that was the 1st year for a gas door & collapisble (sp) steering column. If it has CV joints in the rear instead of old style swing axle it could be a '69 or '70. The vin is stamped on the center tunnel just in front of the oval access plate for the shift rod under the back seat, the 3rd digit is the year, ie 158 is a 1968 model.  Many thanks for taking the time for your posts, I really enjoy reading & maybe learning the right way to do something.

Right, and if IIRC, 68 is the only year that opened the gas cap from the outside; 69 and later had a cable from the inside. Big changes for the Bug.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Happiness is the sun coming up on hot rods. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"That Datsun gets my feeble mind running. There are so many neat engine combos that could go in along with modern suspension and brakes. Monster Miata style. :) I see you have one more sun roof hole to deal with. I'm glad that fad seems to have passed.

I was startled when I realized there's a full frame under that Fairlady and had the same thoughts, of course a Pontiac OHC six came to mind instantly but man what about some brand of later stock OE whiz-bang four? A V8 could maybe fit, just not a Coyote lol. Not familiar with Monster Miata but hey... All I know is that's not enough car for me to get hit in so it's a no-go. Almost any collision would be deadly.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "papastoyss"The VW is probably a '68 , that was the 1st year for a gas door & collapisble (sp) steering column. If it has CV joints in the rear instead of old style swing axle it could be a '69 or '70. The vin is stamped on the center tunnel just in front of the oval access plate for the shift rod under the back seat, the 3rd digit is the year, ie 158 is a 1968 model.  Many thanks for taking the time for your posts, I really enjoy reading & maybe learning the right way to do something.

I was told that by his best reckoning, the tech on it had determined by those numbers that the body was '57 and chassis was '67. I just know nothing about them and am glad that I am a bodyman so I won't need to really. The specifics will suface as the job progresses without me lifting a finger. Sure am glad to have the position that I do in the crew up there. Somehow just being around old cars makes everything seem OK. Glad to spread it around as forum fodder. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Happiness is the sun coming up on hot rods. :)

You and your confounded limitless gumption! :-o  Happiness is a warm Grand Prix, for the record. 8)

Yesterday I spent 4-5 hours on yard work. Used to mow this place in 40 minutes, one session, in my 30s. Weeds went nuts in the front yard after all the dirt got shuffled around fixing stuff after the lightning strike. So there was weeding by hand next to the house, then stringing the weed trimmer and only half finishing because the gas line began leaking again. This unit defies even simple disassembly attempts so that's another weekend's project. Today so far all I did was go buy oil and filter for the GTP, this will be the oil change that takes it past the quarter million miles mark. I don't even understand how boosted junk can do that. Car just serves and serves and serves and continually blows my mind by being so comfy and efficient. Good tool for the job. Had the '69 out a couple times this weekend too and the same could be said of it (good tool for job). It re-centers my mind in a jiffy. :D
Matt

Arnold

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "kb426"Happiness is the sun coming up on hot rods. :)

You and your confounded limitless gumption! :-o  Happiness is a warm Grand Prix, for the record. 8)

Yesterday I spent 4-5 hours on yard work. Used to mow this place in 40 minutes, one session, in my 30s. Weeds went nuts in the front yard after all the dirt got shuffled around fixing stuff after the lightning strike. So there was weeding by hand next to the house, then stringing the weed trimmer and only half finishing because the gas line began leaking again. This unit defies even simple disassembly attempts so that's another weekend's project. Today so far all I did was go buy oil and filter for the GTP, this will be the oil change that takes it past the quarter million miles mark. I don't even understand how boosted junk can do that. Car just serves and serves and serves and continually blows my mind by being so comfy and efficient. Good tool for the job. Had the '69 out a couple times this weekend too and the same could be said of it (good tool for job). It re-centers my mind in a jiffy. :D

Trimmer gas line..visited that with one of my own last week. My gas line had become brittle and cracked. The new replacement one required a specific thickness of line PLUS some adapter/grommet thingy..to adapt it to a different thickness of line where it goes into the tank :roll: Sure.

I found a piece of thicker more rubbery line and stuffed that in..doesn't leak.

58 Yeoman

I've been working on the dash in the Galaxie. Got all the glue off (thanks kb). It's taking a LOT of trimming and scraping of the padding to fit correctly. I'm hoping that the dash will slide ahead enough so that the radio speaker indentation hits in the right spot. No directions came with it, but directions from one of the online Ford parts sites says to use slow setting adhesive, but doesn't give names. Anyone got any suggestions?  Beuhler? Beuhler?...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Arnold"

Trimmer gas line..visited that with one of my own last week. My gas line had become brittle and cracked. The new replacement one required a specific thickness of line PLUS some adapter/grommet thingy..to adapt it to a different thickness of line where it goes into the tank :roll: Sure.

I found a piece of thicker more rubbery line and stuffed that in..doesn't leak.

I had the fuel lines on gas powered  trimmers rot off.  I went to a hobby shop.  Bought fuel line for model  airplanes
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Arnold I guess I've had my trimmer several years now. Did the same thing as you a couple years back. That dang microscopic hose sure does swell up and get soft, don't it? I may have blew the line loose with overly enthusiastic priming but the hose just isn't big enough to take the heat and gas too. Business end of the hose is buried under interlocked plastic shielding and lots of torx screws that you can take out and still nothing is loose. Fairly enigmatic. I'll put my patient hat on one day and tackle it. Last time it stayed apart for awhile as I gathered the want-to. Tough not to just go buy a cheapo but this one is a decent model. At least I have reached the experience level where my dual line wind jobs actually feed when the head is bumped. Progress!

Rust combat for me today. This late 70s Bronco had a tree fall on it plus used to have a sunroof. Its actually not a bad specimen but does have some sketchy previous bodywork. Floors mainly. This looked like a nightmare when I started but the fellow employee who got it before me must have been mighty discouraged when he first saw it. He got the door opening back in shape and left off during fitting of the new door shell and welding of his roof hole patch. He also made the brace under the roof that was cut out. The roof is flanged under the patch, we have different styles. I could not bring myself to straighten or weld anything until the roof skin is clean enough to use. New ones are not available since this is a two year only bodystyle. Got a day and a half in it thus far, needs another good half day of rust combat then I'll bang out the shape. Lucky for me, this panel sits like 7 or 8 feet off the ground and repair expectations are way down by the lugnuts.

For you, KB. Got yer sick sack on? I'll stick to a simple before and after on one half, and this is the better side. If anyone has a Q about the procedure, pipe up. Wish I could keep going but the bottom pic may have to be good enough. I covered it in rattle can for the night and will hope to reach this point on the other half by lunch tomorrow.

Matt

sirstude

I am arguing with the local adjuster for Grundy.  I had an accident with the Olds and the Impala last Wednesday/Thursday that I have not mentioned.  I was going to put brakes on my wife's van so parked the Impala under the Oldsmobile on Wednesday evening, like I do all winter with the Van.  I came out on Thursday evening and the roof on the Impala looked funny, kind of wet possibly.  Anyway, I went over to look and there was brake fluid all over the passenger back corner of the roof.  Backed the car out and scrubbed with wax and grease remover.  Pock marked the clear pretty good, but looks like the base color will be ok.  Painter wants to sand the clear, then recoat the back of the car, then sand again and recoat the clear again.  Doing 3 coats each time. The car is pinstriped and they will need to be redone so that half of them are not under the clear.  The adjuster seemed fine on this all until we got the bid.  He only allowed for 2 coats of clear and nothing on the pinstripes.  Emailed the agent at Philadelphia (Grundy's insurance provider) and he said the adjuster will get it worked out.  The adjuster is dodging both myself and the body shop.  We will see how it goes.  
Anyway, what happened is the master cylinder on the Olds leaked out the back side for some reason.  This was a new master cylinder/booster I got some years ago.  I have had brake fluid in it for about a year with no issues, then this.  I need to figure out what the cylinder is, I think a Corvette unit.  I purchased through by buddy Gary Dagel and he picked it up from one of the vendors that was near him when he was in Orange CA.  Doubt he remembers exactly what was picked out, but will be calling just in case.  Good excuse to talk to him anyway.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us