What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I installed new rear springs in the 54 Chevy.  I had to make a leaf spring compressor in order to remove the old springs and to re install the new ones, but it worked and I got the job done.  The ride is greatly improved and I no longer need the supplemental air bags that I spent a few days building.  I should have changed the springs first.

The front end has settled a lot and now I must change my front Mustang ll springs.  I used new V 8 springs when I built the car.  Speedway has a chart where you can select a spring based on the weight of the front of your car.  I plan to weigh the front at the local farmers exchange and then order the springs.  I did a search of the rrt and the net and this seems like a good approach.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

John

If the ride is satisfactory, but it sets too low, you might consider a spacer rather than a new spring.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Better half had a new roof,eaves installed on her house. Before I came along. They started  the shingles to about 1" short of the facia. Why..I give up. Left the gap for the water to pour down of course between the facia and into the soffit..and down the front of the facia. . Put the eaves on crooked..even to the eye. Ran the eave to the side of the house..90deg wall. Cut a hole(yes) through the wood siding so the water would now run down inside the siding. Why..again..I give up. Put a proper downspout on the other end. NO water can ever flow to it!
There are no rafter ends exposed..or stub rafters. Soffits are pretty thick..almost an inch..about a foot wide 9' long. Attach to the wall with substantial looks like left over trim? Facia attaches to the soffit at the 90 deg of the soffit AND through the roof deck NOWHERE else.
Facia is all rotted. No surprise there.
Took off a very important eave saying it wasn't necessary. Water just poured in over the porch roof. Rot followed.

She says this is a lot better than the first guy..took substantial depost..disappeared.

About the only good thing is I still have the health THANKFULL :D to do this kind of work by myself up 2 stories on a ladder.

This will keep me busy for a few days.

phat46

Quote from: "Arnold"Better half had a new roof,eaves installed on her house. Before I came along. They started  the shingles to about 1" short of the facia. Why..I give up. Left the gap for the water to pour down of course between the facia and into the soffit..and down the front of the facia. . Put the eaves on crooked..even to the eye. Ran the eave to the side of the house..90deg wall. Cut a hole(yes) through the wood siding so the water would now run down inside the siding. Why..again..I give up. Put a proper downspout on the other end. NO water can ever flow to it!
There are no rafter ends exposed..or stub rafters. Soffits are pretty thick..almost an inch..about a foot wide 9' long. Attach to the wall with substantial looks like left over trim? Facia attaches to the soffit at the 90 deg of the soffit AND through the roof deck NOWHERE else.
Took off a very important eave saying it wasn't necessary. Water just poured in over the porch roof. Rot followed.

She says this is a lot better than the first guy..took substantial depost..disappeared.

About the only good thing is I still have the health THANKFULL :D to do this kind of work by myself up 2 stories on a ladder.

Really makes you wonder doesn't it? How do contractors think they will get away with these types of things? I had my house roofed a couple years ago, I had done it myself about 30 years prior and there was no way I was doing it again, it's two stories, with an attic, with about a 12/12 pitch. Hired the "best" roofing company in the area ( most expensive) , and they sent the "D" team to my house, you know, the guys with ankle tethers  who had to ride a bicycle to the job. They took eight days to do a job quoted for two days, they worked till after dark every night and fought like cats and dogs. One guy got fired in the neighbors driveway one night. The screw ups were numerous and mind boggling, long story short, they cut sheathing on my flat roof that they weren't going to be reroofing. They cut it flat on the roof.....with a circular saw...through the shingles.....The day after they finally finished it rained....water was pouring in my utility room doorway. I quickly patched the saw cuts with some wet sealing roof cement and called the company owner. He was baffled as to why they would do that....no *, me tooo. They wove new shingles in the damaged area and promised to come back and reshingle my front porch roof, for free, since I had had a "bad experience" with their company. Well two years later I was still waiting for them so I did the porch roof, and yesterday I stripped and reroofed the flat roof they had damaged...it had
started leaking again. I don't give them any referrals....

Arnold

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "Arnold"Better half had a new roof,eaves installed on her house. Before I came along. They started  the shingles to about 1" short of the facia. Why..I give up. Left the gap for the water to pour down of course between the facia and into the soffit..and down the front of the facia. . Put the eaves on crooked..even to the eye. Ran the eave to the side of the house..90deg wall. Cut a hole(yes) through the wood siding so the water would now run down inside the siding. Why..again..I give up. Put a proper downspout on the other end. NO water can ever flow to it!

Really makes you wonder doesn't it? How do contractors think they will get away with these types of things? I had my house roofed a couple years ago, I had done it myself about 30 years prior and there was no way I was doing it again, it's two stories, with an attic, with about a 12/12 pitch. Hired the "best" roofing company in the area ( most expensive) , and they sent the "D" team to my house, you know, the guys with ankle tethers  who had to ride a bicycle to the job. They took eight days to do a job quoted for two days, they worked till after dark every night and fought like cats and dogs. One guy got fired in the neighbors driveway one night. The screw ups were numerous and mind boggling, long story short, they cut sheathing on my flat roof that they weren't going to be reroofing. They cut it flat on the roof.....with a circular saw...through the shingles.....The day after they finally finished it rained....water was pouring in my utility room doorway. I quickly patched the saw cuts with some wet sealing roof cement and called the company owner. He was baffled as to why they would do that....no #####, me tooo. They wove new shingles in the damaged area and promised to come back and reshingle my front porch roof, for free, since I had had a "bad experience" with their company. Well two years later I was still waiting for them so I did the porch roof, and yesterday I stripped and reroofed the flat roof they had damaged...it had
started leaking again. I don't give them any referrals....

SORRY :oops: C'MON..THANKS :lol: for the laugh. You get a roofing company to re-do your roof. The part that does NOT need to be done..they cut through the roof..
   Here in Toronto area..they keep trying to clean up the roofing industry...because..a few years ago out of ALL the consumer complaints,problems etc.,ETC.,..roofing had I think :lol: 99.7% or something of ALL the complaints.

I am in Home Depot..looking at ice and water shield..someone else asks me something about it..another woman is all ears. She REALLY wants ME to do her roof. 6K sq ft house. She buys it..looks ok..roof looks ok..needs a roof?? Gets roofed. Parks her expensive car in garage. Paint gets pretty damaged by leaking garage roof. Can't deal with these bozo's. Tries another roofing company. Leaks worse..in a NEW area. Can't deal with those bozo's. Ends up in Home Depot in the roofing aisle :lol: I am not in the roofing business..had one on the go(roof) she asks for my advice. I tell her to phone roofing companies and hire the one that has the most trucks..biggest crew.. :lol: I tell her to be SPECIFIC. Take off ALL the shingles,ALL the trim,flashing. Leave the roofing crew pretty much nothing to screw up on. Tell them to cover the entire house in ice and water shield(I have done several roofs like that)(( it is accepted and to phone the largest roofing supply companies and ask them)). DO NOT do anything else until you have determined that it does not leak anywhere.When there are no leaks..get those guys to shingle it..or whatever you are putting on.

Some time later..I see her again in Home Depot..she is just ecstatic..says she wants to hug me..she has been in every nook and cranny..and attics..no leaks anywhere. Wants to know how long she can leave it in ice and water shield :roll:
Doesn't really trust roofing companies :lol:

kb426

I had a hail storm in 2011 that was bad enough to total the roof. It took a year and a half before a contractor that has worked for me extensively could get to it. In that time, the price of shingles went up so much that metal was only $600 more. I have a metal roof and hope I never have to talk to a roofer again.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This morning I did yard work so it's completed for the week. I had a line that's called a hydraulic transfer line on the rack &pinion on the 51 that was bent some from using the forklift to move it when the ball joint failed. Cardone makes replacement lines so this morning, it got replaced. I had to drop the rack because there's no room  for a wrench on the end next to the steering pinion. The worst part was removing the teflon washer from the orfice  where I couldn't see. :) Mirror and light in hands, no hand left for pick. Next on the list is to recover the seat. I have it disassembled so I can start fresh in the morning. No, I don't know what I'm doing. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today was spent working on the seat for the 51. Very slow progress. :) 1 pic is of how much mess there is with everything laid out. 1 is off where I cut the foam above the arm rest. I thought it might make it look better. The other is where I cut the metal support rods in the foam. I was concerned that the ends might cut the fabric so I installed some rubber vacuum caps over the ends. I have a lot of the material cut up but have plenty left for tomorrow. My plan is to be finished tomorrow. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

This is the stopping place for the day. i had to clean up the shop to put my wife's car in. The forecast has a possibility of hail. There is several small items left to finish. You get the idea what it's supposed to be like. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Looks great. Wish  I knew how to do interiors.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I spent several more hours on the arm rest cutout. I quit unless I have a better idea. :) I'm going to make some covers to shield the tracks and mounts from the door ends. That's another item that I need a good idea for. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I removed the padded dash from the 63 Galaxie. It wasn't as bad a job as I thought. Of course, putting the new one on won't be so easy. Wish the w/s was out of it. I still have to scrape off the remains of the underside of the pad and the glue.

Phil

kb426

Phil, on the flat areas, I use a 4" wide razor scraper. The lumber yard sells those with about a 14" handle and replaceable blades. I use those for so many things that I have 2 in the shop. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Phil

chimp koose

did front brakes on my sons 03 ranger . It had sat so long that the pads had rusted to the rotors . Hit the brakes and thump thump thump as the pads hit the barnacles each time around .