What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Frank, the stuff I got was 8101 panel adhesive. I went to the same company, different store today and returned it. They don't carry the 590, said to try Autozone, etc. None of them had it either, so I ordered it on Amazon.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Frank, the stuff I got was 8101 panel adhesive. I went to the same company, different store today and returned it. They don't carry the 590, said to try Autozone, etc. None of them had it either, so I ordered it on Amazon.

It should work good for you. tape up any place you don't want it, it's a bear to remove once set. I use a cheap paint brush with the bristles shortened to about 3/4" to spread it out evenly. A thin even  layer on the dash, and on the foam is all you need. About 1/16"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"How about 7075 t6 step plates? :) I made simple effective step plates for the 51 today. This is left over 7075 t6 alum that is brushed for a finish look. I kept thinking I would have a good idea but I gave up for time being. The more I drove it, the more scratches were appearing. I admitted defeat. :)

KB, if you had told me about those and I had to imagine them I might have made a stinky face. But they don't look bad and they make good sense. Nifty plates, man. I got a question... say its 1950 and your 40 model whatever has shaggy boards. What methods were used to freshen them up? We're you supposed to buy new ones or was there a procedure to cover them. Gen X guy wants to know. All I've seen are new aftermarket and look to be rubber cast over sheet metal.

Today I romped the loud pedal a couple times. Nice evening. Had nice lunch with my folks too. But that Bronco roof... I gotta forget it until Monday, its awful rough.
Matt

kb426

Matt, all I have seen is replacing the rubber with new which is about $250 and glueing or buying replacement bonded boards. I've not been in the right place to know of any other method. Most of what I saw, the mat was worn down so their was no rejuvenating, only replacement. If it was easily done, I would have my step plates gray hard anodized. I would have to take or send them to Wichita and beg some company to do them. I had a guy that felt sorry for me years ago who would do my race car parts. Most of the companies there are tied to aircraft contracts and don't do onesie twosie deals.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, all I have seen is replacing the rubber with new which is about $250 and glueing or buying replacement bonded boards. I've not been in the right place to know of any other method. Most of what I saw, the mat was worn down so their was no rejuvenating, only replacement. If it was easily done, I would have my step plates gray hard anodized. I would have to take or send them to Wichita and beg some company to do them. I had a guy that felt sorry for me years ago who would do my race car parts. Most of the companies there are tied to aircraft contracts and don't do onesie twosie deals.

Did you consider Rhino-liner? There is a company now that will cover your house in Rhino-liner.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, all I have seen is replacing the rubber with new which is about $250 and glueing or buying replacement bonded boards. I've not been in the right place to know of any other method. Most of what I saw, the mat was worn down so their was no rejuvenating, only replacement. If it was easily done, I would have my step plates gray hard anodized. I would have to take or send them to Wichita and beg some company to do them. I had a guy that felt sorry for me years ago who would do my race car parts. Most of the companies there are tied to aircraft contracts and don't do onesie twosie deals.

Rhino line everything! Ha. Some do. Gary's green Bronco was covered in it.

A couple of my cousins are Wichita area aircraft dudes. 8)  Can't understand why you didn't just use diamond plate because it's a truck. :lol:  :twisted:

How thick are your plates? Enough to cut shallow grooves into? Or mask and blast maybe? For a less slick texture to the foot. Just a thought on finishes that might look cool.  :)  I have always been curious how original boards looked and were made.
I haven't got moving yet today. Once I settled down last night I realized what a whooping this work week put on me. One dang panel! Saving some of the Rhino on that job was a big thing in the  planning. Sounds like we will only disturb the front floors and leaving the home made bed floor alone. It is attached with butyl. Hoping to get more time on the roll around stool next week :arrow:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

New front wheels n tires on the Falcon.  Front Wheels : now  match the rear ones.

New tires are in the works for the rear.  Drag radials will come off.  The 3.55 gear in the back is a little  buzzy for the freeway.  Taller tires on the rear will help slightly.

Also:  took the slapper type traction bars off the Falcon.   I was tired of the rough ride & noise from them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Tony, any thoughts about a t5? What are your plans for the car? Looks good with the tire and wheel combo.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Sinning. :cry: Cutting up car floor mats to use as liners for some new toolboxes. These were on their way to the dump. I had an IMMENSE amount of difficulty  in even taking these to the dump. The first pile was hard enough to take to the dump. The second pile I was stalling. Was just going to buy liners. I have NEVER had so much trouble getting rid of car parts! I did the advertise..pics etc., specifics..lots. Just beating myself up stupid over these..FINALLY resorting to GIVING them away. No takers.
They were pretty much all oem. Wide variety. I am sure there are business's,people that specialize in these. Probably the only way they ever change hands. I guess a big reason is shipping. Sure doesn't take that many in a pile before I can't even pick it up. Pricey to dump too. Oh well. None left. Unless I come across some more..
I saw some pretty HD winter mats..Michelin's..at Home Depot..set..for $10. I had to buy them. But was able to restrain myself :lol: They were at the entrance EVERY time I went..for like EVER. I don't recall ever seeing ANY of them sell. Finally..price drop. $4. $4 for a set of Michelin winter floor mats. I bought them :oops: Had to. I did not need them.. :roll: but asked everyone and his dog if they wanted a set for free.
Shouldda bought a coffee or two and dougnuts :!: instead. These are goin' to the dump soon too.
A few of my new tool box drawers have some good memories now..67.69.71 Lincoln floor mats :D

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Tony, any thoughts about a t5? What are your plans for the car? Looks good with the tire and wheel combo.

This small Ford 6 cylinder uses an odd small round  bell housing & small clutch.  

The car was a 3 speed on the column when I bought it.  I gave all the manual trans & clutch parts to a friend with a Comet about 15 yrs ago. His 3 speed  trans was broke

Requires an adapter - spacer for the T5.  Folks that have converted to the T5 like them.  Something to ponder.  .

I just converted the C4 back to Automatic shift from Full manual when I was drag racing the car.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "kb426"Tony, any thoughts about a t5? What are your plans for the car? Looks good with the tire and wheel combo.

This small Ford 6 cylinder uses an odd small round  bell housing & small clutch.  

The car was a 3 speed on the column when I bought it.  I gave all the manual trans & clutch parts to a friend with a Comet about 15 yrs ago. His 3 speed  trans was broke

Requires an adapter - spacer for the T5.  Folks that have converted to the T5 like them.  Something to ponder.  .

I just converted the C4 back to Automatic shift from Full manual when I was drag racing the car.

We had a 62 Comet..3 on the tree..I can't remember if it was a 170..iirc there was also a 144?
Nice wheels btw

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"How about 7075 t6 step plates? :) I made simple effective step plates for the 51 today. This is left over 7075 t6 alum that is brushed for a finish look. I kept thinking I would have a good idea but I gave up for time being. The more I drove it, the more scratches were appearing. I admitted defeat. :)

KB ... When we built the Olds back in 95ish, we straightened the stock boards & covered them with rubber "Hallway runner".... You get it at the local hardware or big box store by the yard off of a big roll ...After 20 some years in the weather & an occasional splash of rubber dressing or Armor-All, they held up quite well...After our latest adventure, the covers are still in decent shape ...The boards, Ahh, not so much soo... :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, that's nice that you crash tested that rubber mat material. I'm sure the manufacturer will want to compensate you for your efforts. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Running Bored is a native American cartoon character. Funny, too. So hey Bob, that sounds sensible, I have seen that stuff in schools as a kid. Only if you got caught  being a hallway runner back then you got sent to the office.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Bob, that's nice that you crash tested that rubber mat material. I'm sure the manufacturer will want to compensate you for your efforts. :)

It was not a "crash"....More of a "phewwwwwww.....Thud".. :roll:  :oops:
At least I seemed to miss the bigger tree's .... :shock:

The adjuster was here today...Seems that he could not get his camera under the car to get photos ...The front of the car is now somewhat "lower" than before.. :?  :roll:
Bent control arms will do that you see....... :oops:  :oops:
We need to clean the dirt,grass,saplings,critters,etc from underneath that car so more can be seen......It does run & move in both  directions... 8)
  The master cylinder now by-passes when brakes are applied & the steering column is loose at the dash ...Maybe I pushed the pedal & hung on too hard  :?:  :oops:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****