What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"This was a light hail storm we had today. I have a metal roof on the garage and the noise is louder than the music. :) This damaged siding and newer cars but the older stuff is tough enough to withstand this size stones. I used a caliper and the largest one I measured was 15/16".

Tell me the truck is not a golf ball!  :shock:  I have watched my GP get it twice. It did not shrug off the hail. Replaced hood, fixed decklid and it happened again. Hope your stuff is OK, man. :!:
Matt

enjenjo

Drove to Indiana today and bought a lathe. 10 by 30 Atlas with much tooling. Looks and runs like new. I am going to pick it up this next week
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Matt, I haven't inspected it under florescent light but I think the hail was too light to hurt it. Frank, I had one of those. That was my 1st lathe. Way better than nothing. :) In the morning, it's time to leave for Pueblo. The forecast is for rain for all morning. High of 66 in Pueblo. I'm not leaving 1st thing in the morning. :) If it's not raining all the way out, I'll leave after checking the weather. Saturday and Sunday should be wonderful so I'm looking forward to going. My truck has been rained on the last 3 years in a row at every show I've attended. I thought I lived in the desert! Hope you all have a good weekend with stories to tell on monday. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"Drove to Indiana today and bought a lathe. 10 by 30 Atlas with much tooling. Looks and runs like new. I am going to pick it up this next week

Frank .. Does it has a real gearbox or the "u-change it" gears like mine  :?:    Powdered metal gears ....What will they think of next   :?:  :roll:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Drove to Indiana today and bought a lathe. 10 by 30 Atlas with much tooling. Looks and runs like new. I am going to pick it up this next week

Frank .. Does it has a real gearbox or the "u-change it" gears like mine  :?:    Powdered metal gears ....What will they think of next   :?:  :roll:  :roll:

Change gears.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I installed new rear springs in the 54 Chevy.  I had to make a leaf spring compressor in order to remove the old springs and to re install the new ones, but it worked and I got the job done.  The ride is greatly improved and I no longer need the supplemental air bags that I spent a few days building.  I should have changed the springs first.

The front end has settled a lot and now I must change my front Mustang ll springs.  I used new V 8 springs when I built the car.  Speedway has a chart where you can select a spring based on the weight of the front of your car.  I plan to weigh the front at the local farmers exchange and then order the springs.  I did a search of the rrt and the net and this seems like a good approach.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

John .... We have never used a V-8 mustang spring in any front end we've installed ...We use nothing but standard 4-cyl / no AC springs ...( Unless the car has big block or Hemi power )...The main thing we watch for is the lower control arm sitting level at loaded ride height....
The Moog # is 8558 ...$48.95 a pair from Rock Auto ...Specs:

Bar Diameter - Inches   0.57
End Type 1   Square
End Type 2   Tangential
Free Height - Inches   13.44
ID - Inches   3.51
Installation Height - Inches   9.50
Load - lbs   1388.00
Spring Rate - lbs per inch   353.00
Spring Type   Constant Rate

Here is the info on a Moog #8556, ( 6Cyl) spring:

Bar Diameter - Inches   0.59
End Type 1   Square
End Type 2   Tangential
Free Height - Inches   13.81
ID - Inches   3.50
Load - lbs   1561.00
Spring Rate - lbs per inch   364.00

When we first built the "Ugly Olds" , we used a 4cyl stock spring with 1.5 coils removed ... Lower control arm sat level when loaded, the front end was "on the ground" so to speak & all was well with the world .... 15 years & 40K some miles later, it still sat level, lower control arms level when loaded , looked really neat & rode like a cement truck ...Wait ..I used to work on cement trucks ...They actually rode better ....
I recently installed a set of used STOCK 4 cyl, no air springs & after settling for about 2 weeks it is almost at the same height as before, lower control arms are level , BUT the ride is like a normal car ....MUCH softer......

Attached is the Moog spring list to give you ALL the specs on the available springs ....

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp

Here is the info from Eaton Spring ..They have the most info & availability of any spring provider I know ..They also have a free exchange program ...

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ordering/mustang-ii-coil-springs/

Hope this helps ..

Bob .... :wink:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"John .... We have never used a V-8 mustang spring in any front end we've installed ...We use nothing but standard 4-cyl / no AC springs ...( Unless the car has big block or Hemi power )...The main thing we watch for is the lower control arm sitting level at loaded ride height....
The Moog # is 8558 ...$48.95 a pair from Rock Auto ...Specs:

Bar Diameter - Inches   0.57
End Type 1   Square
End Type 2   Tangential
Free Height - Inches   13.44
ID - Inches   3.51
Load - lbs   1388.00
Spring Rate - lbs per inch   353.00

Here is the info on a Moog #8556, ( 6Cyl) spring:

Bar Diameter - Inches   0.59
End Type 1   Square
End Type 2   Tangential
Free Height - Inches   13.81
ID - Inches   3.50
Load - lbs   1561.00
Spring Rate - lbs per inch   364.00

When we first built the "Ugly Olds" , we used a 4cyl stock spring with 1.5 coils removed ... Lower control arm sat level when loaded, the front end was "on the ground" so to speak & all was well with the world .... 15 years & 40K some miles later, it still sat level, lower control arms level when loaded , looked really neat & rode like a cement truck ...Wait ..I used to work on cement trucks ...They actually rode better ....
I recently installed a set of used STOCK 4 cyl, no air springs & after settling for about 2 weeks it is almost at the same height as before, lower control arms are level , BUT the ride is like a normal car ....MUCH softer......

Attached is the Moog spring list to give you ALL the specs on the available springs ....

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp

Here is the info from Eaton Spring ..They have the most info & availability of any spring provider I know ..They also have a free exchange program ...

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ordering/mustang-ii-coil-springs/

Hope this helps ..

Bob .... :wink:

Thanks for taking all the time to supply the information and your experience.  Between the time I posted and you posted, I order the new springs and spring rubbers through Speedway.  The car weighs 1850 pounds on the front wheels and 3400 pounds total.  That means that I bought the heaviest spring that Speedway sells.  All I can do now is see what happens when I install the springs.

Thanks again, I will post when I have them in place.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

Killed 5 scorpions friday evening.

Along with scorpions:  I also deal with baby mesquite trees I have to pull out by hand in the back yard.

Years ago, we had 5 mesquite trees in the back yard.  Big mistake since we irrigate flood the property 2 times a month. They grow like crazy. Then they get beetles, fungus, sick & die

1 tree dropped seed pods.  I am still pulling out baby mesquite trees.  These small trees have needles about 1/2 inch long already.  I pulled 11 this morning. about 30 of them last weekend after I irrigated & had soft ground.

Long roots on them. In the photo the roots are 24 inches long
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Gee Tony ...   Maybe you should wait for warmer weather to catch up on your yard work ....Might be easier  :idea:  :?:

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"...we irrigate flood the property 2 times a month. .
Curious George is wondering how you do that :?:
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Crosley"...we irrigate flood the property 2 times a month. .
Curious George is wondering how you do that :?:

We have concrete ditches.  Bring the water in,  every 13 days.  All scheduled & that type of  stuff
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Just a reminder:  If you purchase an item online.  The shipping method has the word "SmartPost" in it.  the travel time is double the normal amount.

A package from Los Angeles Ca. To metro Phoenix AZ area is taking 5 business days, if it arrives on monday
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Gee Tony ...   Maybe you should wait for warmer weather to catch up on your yard work ....Might be easier  :idea:  :?:

I mowed the upper and lower back yards this morning.  Started at 7:30am... It was 90* F here by then.  When I finished the mow, the edge trimming, etc.... it was 99*F at 9am

Do not move to AZ , you will not survive
Tony

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Gee Tony ...   Maybe you should wait for warmer weather to catch up on your yard work ....Might be easier  :idea:  :?:

I mowed the upper and lower back yards this morning.  Started at 7:30am... It was 90* F here by then.  When I finished the mow, the edge trimming, etc.... it was 99*F at 9am

Do not move to AZ , you will not survive

Yes, but it is a dry heat :lol:

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck