What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

A late but finally a start on the New Year. In the beginning of December I started to change the fluid in the 700r4 transmission in the Jeepster. The old fluid looked good (even what ended up on the floor), the old filter had no metal chunks in it and the bottom of the pan looked good. This brought about the question prompted by the strange pan bolts and all the silicone on the pan's old gasket. New gasket, new silicone and different placing of some new (wrong) pan bolts brought me to a lets try this conclusion. I had started this part of the project to prompt me into doing the trans cooler lines and the installation of a transmission air cooled cooler. After buying long black covered 5/16" lines to have enough length to do whatever I thought would work I had trouble double-flaring the lines (another discussion). What cooler to use (I had two) where to put it, how to mount it and difference in line sizes were all questions I wrestled with. That all took better than a month. The cooler is now mounted to the transmission crossmember on the driver's side and is plumbed with new un-coated steel lines. The mounting position required a unique arrangement of bends and fittings to get the 5/16" steel lines to the 3/8"ID hose that the cooler required. Of course none of this will be visible after I get a floor made for the body and the mounting had me use "pop-rivets" in despiration  that were drilled from the top. Yesterday I filled the transmission with fluid , checked all the lines and started the engine (it remembered how to run). there didn't appear to be any leaks and the driveshaft turned in both directions so maybe that's good. I slept well last night and when I checked my blood sugar this morning it was 123. That's the first time it was below 130 since Thanksgiving. Things are looking up? GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Had to cut out the driver's side engine mount to get the steering thru.

Couple ideas here.  Curved piece for engine mount (top side only shown).  Steering passes thru mount.

2 U-joints will be used in the steering shaft.  Likely a Stabilizer heim will be installed near the U-joint in the middle of  shaft length.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Beck

I'm headed to the Chili Bowl midget race this afternoon. It has been on my bucket list for a while. I thought the flu was going to keep me from going but amazingly I have recovered quickly. It should be great if I can keep my knee going.

Beck

Tony,  Make sure you can get the steering shaft back out of the mount. I'm picturing another loop under the steering shaft? It might have been easier to start with a piece of tubing?

WZ JUNK

I made a wire forming jig to make circles out of round stock.  I think it could be also be used to straighten a coil of tubing but I have not tried that yet.  The jig was made from three garage door pulleys bought at Lowes.

Note the two toes in the photo.  I am trying extra hard to be photo correct.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Beck"Tony,  Make sure you can get the steering shaft back out of the mount. I'm picturing another loop under the steering shaft? It might have been easier to start with a piece of tubing?

Gonna be interesting.  U-joint at the Vega box is Double D shaped shaft with retaining bolts  for the shaft.

The U-joint I have for the middle of the shaft from the box to the column....  Is a Borgenson  weld on piece. That means a 1 piece shaft when completed

I will need to make the column a bolt in piece , so I can install & remove the shaft.

The new motor mount is from 3 inch diameter tube.  Plenty of room for the steering  shaft.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

I got the 33 screwed together for mock up purposes today. Missing stuff to mount the hood. I know, it looks fiberglass.  It needs plenty more work but has come a long way. I am curious if any of you have modified the big front fender / headlight brace due to suspension swaps or aftermarket frames like this.  I could use tips.

Matt

purplepickup

Had cataract surgery today. Seems to have gone well so far.
George

416Ford

Quote from: "purplepickup"Had cataract surgery today. Seems to have gone well so far.

Glad to hear it George. Anytime surgery goes good that's a good day.
You must have been in there bright and early seeing as how it is not even 8AM yet. :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

58 Yeoman

George, are you having both done? My wife had both hers done last month (2 weeks apart), and is doing well. She was very nearsighted before, and is now far sighted. Still taking eye drops.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

Quote from: "416Ford"You must have been in there bright and early seeing as how it is not even 8AM yet. :)
It was early for me. I had to be there yesterday at 5:45AM...and it was 200 miles away in Traverse City. Sue drove & Riley navigated. We stayed in a motel Tuesday night. The actual surgery only took 10 minutes. I was at a breakfast buffet by 8am.

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"George, are you having both done?
No, I had the other one done in 2011. This one wasn't that bad back then.
George

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "purplepickup"Had cataract surgery today. Seems to have gone well so far.

Good to hear that all went well ... Did they give you a pair of the
"Florida Senior Specials" >>>>>>>> 8) ........   :lol:

Cathy has multiple pairs .... :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rrumbler

That engine hole looks nice.  Did you ever get into something like that and find that it became an almost zen like experience?  Sometimes, the rhythm of that sort of thing just sort of washes over you, or at least it sometimes seemed that way to me.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

416Ford

After Bob freed up some time for me on the engine diagnosis I was able to put up the last pieces of wall board on the one door to keep my shop warm. Should be able to do the other door this weekend then I can clean up the mess.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZWSkDrJbeqDSiERGA

https://goo.gl/photos/Bp9uVrPurdW3JxXd9
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

Mess  :?:     What mess  :?:  :?:   The photos even show unused horizontal surfaces    :shock:   No tools laying about   :roll:   Are you sure that you actually complete "work" in this place  :?:  :?  
It looks like the floor has even been swept.....Are you trying to do a "one up" on Glen  :?:
Speaking of Glen...Where's he been    :?:  :?:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****