What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Are you trying to do a "one up" on Glen  :?:
Bob.. :wink:

That NOT possible.  All my cars are like Harlies, they leak oil.
All the mess is to the left and right of the shot. The white stuff on the floor is pieces of foam insulation. Stinks when you turn on the torpedo heater too.

Vickie said:
Thank you Dr. Bob!  I'm glad I married a man smart enough to ask the brilliant people for the answers!
I will give Dave my chicken & dumplings recipe...or give him a take out menu..,
Hope you and everyone are doing well, see you all next summer!
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Speaking of Glen...Where's he been    :?:  :?:

Short story is: Months ago,  Glen sold everything. race car Nova, trailer , many tools, tow truck , golf cart .

Told me : he has no plans to build any car in the near future.

:!:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

^^^^^^
Glen is so talented that I hope he continues to do something. :) It would be a shame if his shop had cobwebs.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Very sad to hear Tony... Any idea what prompted him to do that  :?:   As KB said ....I hope all is well with him ..... :?

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Very sad to hear Tony... Any idea what prompted him to do that  :?:   As KB said ....I hope all is well with him ..... :?

I do not know the whole story.  

Glen is very busy with his job - career at this point.  Some of us joke that Glen works 32 hours a day , 8 days a week.

I was told by Glen that he would not change a thing  with how things are going for him right now.  That is the most important item. I wish him the best.

Glen is a 150% guy.  What ever he works at , it is 150% of his best effort

His friendship is something I value a great deal
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I'm happy for Glenn. I'm sure he values the accomplishments at what ever he's doing. The fact that he was fortunate enough to sell all his stuff is wonderful. When he moves on to the next stage, he will have more skills to take with him. Just in case you want to know, Carnut has updated his website with more pics. I have spent some time looking at them today. The weather is too cold for me to be doing much. :) I'm planning and buying parts for the next 3 projects.  :shock:
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

It's good to hear that Glen is doing well ..  8)  
 Please say Hi to him for me when you see him & tell him thank you for taking the time to post all the photos & explanations of his Nova & garage build ...It helped us all learn ..... :b-d:  :b-d:  :b-d:

papastoyss

Maybe Glen could join the ranks of us old drag racers that have taken up the street rod hobby. Much less stressful & expensive. His fab talents could produce some super nice builds.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

wayne petty

just chugging along.

actually had a friends car that ran perfect when parked.. pulled it out and it was only running on half the motor.  still sounded good on just six..  one exhaust hot the other cold... friend said.. whats wrong.. probably a relay i answered..  the next day i stopped over and swapped out a single relay..  cured the issue..   how did you know.. i put those relays in.. the parts store sent 4 new ones.. but only 3 were new.. one was used.. it was during the holidays 2 years ago.. no replacements for weeks.. and it worked.. i worried and worried about if it was going to fail.. and it did..  30 minutes and it was chugging along on all dual over head cam 12 cylinders again..   its one of my favorite things to do.. sit behind his car when he starts it..   the only thing i have found more enjoyable was when i worked at a drag strip... many hours as the race starter... standing between a pair of top fuel dragsters when they go is absolutely the most impressive thing i have ever felt..   imagine somebody swinging king size mattresses at you like a supersized pillow fight..   i guess i really am sick..  this was 2 years ago before it got it running really good..
 and this.

58 Yeoman

Replaced the alternator in my 05 Ford Ranger. My wife and I were heading south on I-39 Friday (the 13th) when the battery light came on. I said we might make it to Bloomington, all podunk towns w/o services till then. The radio went off, then the idiot lights started coming on one by one, until the engine shut down.  Eleven miles from town. Called State Farm road services for a tow. Waited two hours for a roll back. He dropped us off at a Farm & Fleet store where I was able to get a new battery, but alternator wasn't charging.

They didn't have the part, nor the time to fix it (did I say it was cold?). Late in the afternoon on a Friday, I told them I'd drive it the 50 or so miles home on the battery. It wasn't dark, so I didn't need my lights. Got home and found one rebuilt at a NAPA, the only store to have one out of 5 stores, and it was in a podunk town 30 miles away. Decided to also get a new battery for the Escape, as that battery is also 5 years old. Don't want to go through that again.

Sitting along the interstate as far over as I could get, I'd watch in my side view mirror at the oncoming traffic. Two smaller vehicles and one semi crossed the white line then moved back over. One semi had a lowboy trailer with a huge caterpillar on it with the tracks hanging over the sides. *...he moved to the left as he passed, then back to the right. The right track was over the rumble strip.

You seldom see a state cop on that highway, and Friday wasn't any different. The hardest part of changing the alternator was getting my hand in between the fan and engine to release the belt tensioner. The 3/8 breaker bar handle was right between the fan and fan pulley where I needed the most pull. HA! Didn't even scrape my knuckles.

Wayne, that was a really cool video of the kerosene engine.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Very sad to hear Tony... Any idea what prompted him to do that  :?:   As KB said ....I hope all is well with him ..... :?

I do not know the whole story.  

Glen is very busy with his job - career at this point.  Some of us joke that Glen works 32 hours a day , 8 days a week.

I was told by Glen that he would not change a thing  with how things are going for him right now.  That is the most important item. I wish him the best.

Glen is a 150% guy.  What ever he works at , it is 150% of his best effort

His friendship is something I value a great deal

so I have not been on here in probably 8 months.    
two years ago I was talking with steve morris on another engine build, 4000HP plus twin turbo and I told him on Friday I would
call him Monday morning with a yes or no.  Over the weekend I told myself I needed to chill out and quit being irresponsible.

I joined a gym and lost 85 lbs. of fat and got down to 170 lbs.  feeling good and looking better I started travelling a lot
and enjoying some of the finer things in life.    I then started focusing more on weight lifting and really got addicted to it.
I don't know if you know this or not....but sometimes I go overboard on things  :roll:

six years ago my career took a huge leap in advancement and now this year my mentor retired so I took his position and another big leap forward.  A great opportunity and I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

so here I am at home and I jump on here to see whats been happening and I find this conversation.  Thanks for the kind words.  I ran the car last March for the $5k grudge race im sure i shared it.....and never drove it again, I sold it back in October.  I sold all of the racing equipment, tow vehicles etc.

I really have no interest in cars right now....but i didn't sell the equipment yet.  :twisted:  :twisted:

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Rrumbler"That engine hole looks nice.  Did you ever get into something like that and find that it became an almost zen like experience?  Sometimes, the rhythm of that sort of thing just sort of washes over you, or at least it sometimes seemed that way to me.

The Zen experience might be in keeping that thing clean :wink:  8)

I am still just sliding expensive paper and throwing it away mostly. Plastic too, just yarding it on and mowing it off on the floor.  :wink:  :lol:

Piles of old filler are getting in the way in a few places  :roll: but its going OK. I have a long row to hoe. Pic at end of today:

Heres that 67 Datsun roadster. I fixed dents, etc on the body before blasting and now its in epoxy. I fillered and primered all the parts long ago, so now its ready to drop on the chassis (customer is doing it himself) for a mock up and filler work with bolt on panels in place.

I will update the Chevelle thread soon. Our man on that has been out sick so reduced action on that one at the moment.

Still wondering if anyone has input on fender braces with aftermarket frames.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Quoteso I have not been on here in probably 8 months.    
two years ago I was talking with steve morris on another engine build, 4000HP plus twin turbo and I told him on Friday I would
call him Monday morning with a yes or no.  Over the weekend I told myself I needed to chill out and quit being irresponsible.

I joined a gym and lost 85 lbs. of fat and got down to 170 lbs.  feeling good and looking better I started travelling a lot
and enjoying some of the finer things in life.    I then started focusing more on weight lifting and really got addicted to it.
I don't know if you know this or not....but sometimes I go overboard on things  :roll:

six years ago my career took a huge leap in advancement and now this year my mentor retired so I took his position and another big leap forward.  A great opportunity and I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

so here I am at home and I jump on here to see whats been happening and I find this conversation.  Thanks for the kind words.  I ran the car last March for the $5k grudge race im sure i shared it.....and never drove it again, I sold it back in October.  I sold all of the racing equipment, tow vehicles etc.

I really have no interest in cars right now....but i didn't sell the equipment yet.  :twisted:  :twisted:
[/quote]

Glen ...It's good to hear from you & to know that you are safe & well ... It is also good that you are pursuing something that you enjoy ... Seeing your garage build,then building & racing the Nova, we know that you never go "overboard" on anything... :roll:
That being said ...This weight lifting thing ...Are Charles Atlas & Arnold Schwarzenegger aware of what you are doing  :?:  :?:  :shock:
 It's good to hear from you my friend ......   8)

Bob.... :wink:

UGLY OLDS

QuoteStill wondering if anyone has input on fender braces with aftermarket frames.
[/quote]

Check your PM's ...

Bob ..
:wink:

Carps

Just packing my bags, going to a hot rod show a long way from home.

Thought I'd drop in and say gudday, haven't done so for a long time, been a bit preoccupied with other stuff.

Prolly got some pictures around the place if you wanna see what's been goin on around here.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.