What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

KB my 3hp beaver mill uses v belt drive if that is any help for reference

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Crosley"Killed 8 scorpions tonite.

3 adults.  1 of them had 5 baby scorps on their back.

We Had the wedding anniversary this week.  #44  :shock:

Congratulations Tony. Not many make it that many years, anymore.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Congrats, Tony. Good luck with the scorpions. I'd be tempted to go "caddy shack" on them. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Congrats, Tony. Good luck with the scorpions. I'd be tempted to go "caddy shack" on them. :)

2 scorps on the front patio.  killed couple days apart.  they must've been friends.

I will start spraying the area heavy to kill the food source for the scorpions... cockroaches  & other bugs.  No food, scorpions go away?  LOL

:-}
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

annual car show at our school today . Weather was great and so was the turnout . Pushed the T out for the show , no steering yet but getting closer . Our show is getting quite a few regulars coming back each year . Lots of students showed up today , some brought cars .

kb426

I replaced brake fluid in 3 cycles yesterday. Time has slipped past me again. That stuff was looking nasty. I worked on my little guitar amp for a few hours. It has 60 cycle hum louder than it should. I eliminated a lot of items that's not causing it. Which means I didn't find the answer yet. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I watched Indy 500 today. Good race. I redid some wiring on my guitar amp and it now works as should. I had to change how I ran the circuits. I don't know if there's a way to do it as I originally planned but I quit. :) I could have titled this post: Chinese parts. After the race, I ran over to the machine shop to talk race with my friend. As I pull in the parking lot, the lower ball joint separates on the left a arm. I'm going about 3 mph but come to an instant halt. The wheels were turned straight ahead so it didn't destroy the fender. We use his forklift to get it away from the street. I put jack stands under it and he gives me a ride home. I load up tools and go back and have it apart in a little bit. Tomorrow I will go to Garden City for Memorial Day services. Autozone has parts in stock so upon returning, we'll see if reassembly goes as well as disassembly. I told my friend I thought I was really lucky. He's says I might reconsider. I'm in his parking lot with no lower ball joint. :) In case your curious, these have 3300 miles on them. They were greased upon assembly. I think the boots cracking let moisture in which hastened the demise of the joint. I'm so thankful this didn't happen anywhere else.  :shock:
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"I watched Indy 500 today. Good race. I redid some wiring on my guitar amp and it now works as should. I had to change how I ran the circuits. I don't know if there's a way to do it as I originally planned but I quit. :) I could have titled this post: Chinese parts. After the race, I ran over to the machine shop to talk race with my friend. As I pull in the parking lot, the lower ball joint separates on the left a arm. I'm going about 3 mph but come to an instant halt. The wheels were turned straight ahead so it didn't destroy the fender. We use his forklift to get it away from the street. I put jack stands under it and he gives me a ride home. I load up tools and go back and have it apart in a little bit. Tomorrow I will go to Garden City for Memorial Day services. Autozone has parts in stock so upon returning, we'll see if reassembly goes as well as disassembly. I told my friend I thought I was really lucky. He's says I might reconsider. I'm in his parking lot with no lower ball joint. :) In case your curious, these have 3300 miles on them. They were greased upon assembly. I think the boots cracking let moisture in which hastened the demise of the joint. I'm so thankful this didn't happen anywhere else.  :shock:

Scary stuff..junk parts. In your case some SERIOUS safety issues :evil: I doubt whether the moisture had very much to do with it really. The parent material of a ball joint..and 3300 miles this thing should be able to operate under water IF the parent material was any good. I have come across WAAY to many oem joints that have been run for WAAY too long with boots torn off..exposed to salt,brine,beet juice et. al and were safe. I mean safe as in no play..no roughness..ya..boot torn..(sometimes better to tear the rest of a torn boot off so that the moisture can't get trapped) get the needle fitting in there and grease it up) and then keep a close eye on it. I have even glued boots back together. Some boots are just too much work to change..just keep them greased and keep an eye on them. Pack that bad boy full of grease..when it gets full of dirt/grit..clean it out and do it again. If you're that concerned..pack it..and cover it with whatever..plastic..rubber..wire..hose clamps..I don't know of any manufacturer that recommends inspection more frequent than every 10k. Noone does that really..front end/suspension inspection every 10K should be more than adequate with good parts.

Junk parts..I HATE junk parts :evil: I don't know what it is going to take for manufacturers to clean up their act.

kb426

The ball joint story continues. I had to do some research to verify that the ball joints matched the spindles which are 1980 camaro. I knew that Autozone would be open today. They sell their duralast brand and a cheaper line. How is that possible? :) I had double checked part numbers on several sites before deciding to try the AZ's. The Moog's I found were all listed as problem solvers and they're oversize for worn a-arms. I just wanted to press and go so I went to AZ after Memorial Day services and picked up the lower ball joint. Yesterday my friend is joking and says I better take some calipers with me. :) I didn't. I get home and go to fit the new one and it won't even start in the hole! Turns out it's a 100 thousandths to large. I fire up the lathe and turn the housing down. I press it in and put everything back together. The truck is back at my house and I'll start the search for good ball joints if there is such a thing. :) I've had enough exercise for the day. I need to wash the 32. It sprinkled on the way up this morning just enough to turn it brown. Looks really good with all the insects I killed. I hope you all had a great holiday. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

The economy must really be in the tank. I had a 55 gallon drum full of scrap/aluminum plus a Genie garage door opener sitting on the curb for over two days, and it was still there. That is after posting on CL and the local FB page.  I hauled it back up to the shop and cut it all up with the Sawzall and fit it into two large bins.  We're taking the new Tacoma in tomorrow am to have the topper installed, so we'll have three hours to kill. The bins fit in the back of the Escape, so we'll take that to the recycle center in Peoria.

Hopefully, there will be a long line, and I can give the metal to someone else who needs the weight.  I just give it to the center, as it doesn't amount to much.  Last time I took a pile of metal scrap, it would've been about $.79.  But, a couple weeks ago, I took in a load of brass and aluminum, plus a radiator and cat that I found on the street in front of my house, and got $124. I was pleased.

Phil

Arnold

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The economy must really be in the tank. I had a 55 gallon drum full of scrap/aluminum plus a Genie garage door opener sitting on the curb for over two days, and it was still there. That is after posting on CL and the local FB page.  I hauled it back up to the shop and cut it all up with the Sawzall and fit it into two large bins.  We're taking the new Tacoma in tomorrow am to have the topper installed, so we'll have three hours to kill. The bins fit in the back of the Escape, so we'll take that to the recycle center in Peoria.

Hopefully, there will be a long line, and I can give the metal to someone else who needs the weight.  I just give it to the center, as it doesn't amount to much.  Last time I took a pile of metal scrap, it would've been about $.79.  But, a couple weeks ago, I took in a load of brass and aluminum, plus a radiator and cat that I found on the street in front of my house, and got $124. I was pleased.

In the past year and a bit around here the price of scrap cars has gone from about $550 for an extended 1 ton van..about $170/ton and $340 for a Jeep someone gave me to sell..down to less thsan $200 for the van and less than $150 for the Jeep THEN back up :shock: to about $260 for the Jeep awhile ago. In the meantime I got rid of the van somewhere in there for $400 :roll: Don't know what it is now?

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"The ball joint story continues. I had to do some research to verify that the ball joints matched the spindles which are 1980 camaro. I knew that Autozone would be open today. They sell their duralast brand and a cheaper line. How is that possible? :) I had double checked part numbers on several sites before deciding to try the AZ's. The Moog's I found were all listed as problem solvers and they're oversize for worn a-arms. I just wanted to press and go so I went to AZ after Memorial Day services and picked up the lower ball joint. Yesterday my friend is joking and says I better take some calipers with me. :) I didn't. I get home and go to fit the new one and it won't even start in the hole! Turns out it's a 100 thousandths to large. I fire up the lathe and turn the housing down. I press it in and put everything back together. The truck is back at my house and I'll start the search for good ball joints if there is such a thing. :) I've had enough exercise for the day. I need to wash the 32. It sprinkled on the way up this morning just enough to turn it brown. Looks really good with all the insects I killed. I hope you all had a great holiday. :)

There are also adjustable ball joints..where there is a hardened insert that goes over the stud and it is threaded on the outside. You need a special "ball joint socket" (with downward facing tangs) ((that engage in slots on the insert))

58 Yeoman

I know that the prices dropped, but there were still people picking up the scrap. My old standby that would  come when I called, had his phone disconnected. Don't know what happened there. Minor setback.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Killed 5 scorpions tonight. 2 of them were dancing , fighting or foreplay? Got both of them with one stomp to the block wall they were on.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

messed with my steering tonight . Steered the coupe for the first time and it turns pretty easily . the supports for the u joints are just clamped in place right now and the tie rods are not wrenched tight . I am going to fuss with the shaft lengths some more to try and reduce angles and gain clearance . I have 2 u joints at 30 degrees which I will try to reduce .