What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Same thing as most weekends.  Work on the Olds for a bit then figure out what parts I need to order and get on the net.  Can't even get the battery wiring that I need locally.  Yesterday, I mounted the battery (after ordering a battery mount) and drilled the floor and also mounted the bulkhead fittings.  Then ran some 1/2 in nylon rope to figure out the routing and length for the battery cables.  I will call and have a set of cables built tomorrow and shipped to me.  The local stereo shop has some stuff in stock, but not enough to build what I need. No boots or the like, they just leave the cable ends uncovered when they build things.  The battery shop also does not have boots and the cable they have is almost impossibly to bend.  I am working with 1/0 cable size because of the large alternator and the battery being in the trunk.  Of course when you are ordering everything from pictures, usually have to do it a couple of times since it might not be exactly what I think it is.  Oh well, at least I am progressing.  

I think that I forgot to mention that I did get it fired up a couple of weeks ago and broke in the cam.  If things work out, by next weekend I should be able to drive it off the hoist and into the other side of the garage.  Still need to get the Impala up on the hoist to work under it.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"^^^^^^^!!!! WOW, how did that happen?

I told him first come first serve. He asked if I would hold them to saturday for $100. Sounded like a win/win to me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Moose was in the area and stopped by with his wife for a short visit. I was happy to see them both. I decided the shop was too dirty for even me to tolerate, so I spent this evening cleaning up a bit. Now don't get concerned, I didn't do that much. :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

KB the rods look top notch.

Finally have running water at the house!!!

The bumblebee is in having some nitrous stuff finished up and I snagged a pic-

Matt

chimp koose

Back at the T tonight . made a piece to fit on the column and under the part that holds the signal light switch . I had looked at using something with a nice sweeping radius . Went to the thrift store to look for a  metal thermos to use but only found a dented one . Then I looked at a headlight bucket from a small motorbike but it didn't look right . my co worker gave me the nose piece from an airplane propeller but it was too big , so I machined one from a scrap of aluminum . It has a smaller radius than I was looking for but it actually looks good . I am now waiting on a steering wheel adapter and then I can finish making the steering column . I will probably use a connecting rod for a column drop . I have a few H beam stainless rods with 12 point fasteners from an exploded small block . The big end will be 3/4" bigger than the column so I can offset it down to leave room for the harness to be hidden . Also since the rod is threaded I can use some open  thread to make a custom fastener for the ignition switch .

kb426

I just finished repairing a flat on my wife's car. She drives by a construction area often. 1 5/8's sheetrock screw. That's an all most new tire.  :( I have a bead breaker that I made for bike tires. I lengthened it for the auto projects before the 51 came along. That tire was difficult to break the rear side. After that, life is easy. One of these days, my wife may come home to new patio furniture. Where do you hang the flower pot on a 32" capacity tire machine?  :D
It's a shame there's not a decent tire shop in a town of 6,000 people.
TEAM SMART

moose

Was down in Ohio Monday so we stopped in to say a quick Hi to Frank, Some cool touches on the 46 Truck. It was good to see you again Frank...

chimp koose

Started to make the lower column mount for the firewall . I have the day off to play with the car tomorrow . It is looking more and more like I will be able to steer this car before next weekends school car show . Progress ! :)

Arnold

Fixing some barn windows. Newer build..around 1870 8). The frames and the wood between the panes is getting a bit old :roll:
Not much left there. In 1 of them I had to bend the glass :lol: Well..actually the frame rotted and warped. No problem. I got a replacement pane..broke it..set in silicone and joined the 2 pieces together at an angle with silicone. Good job :D Looks ok too.
Another one the barn cat leaned against it and pushed it out. That one I ended up having to pretty much silicone what was left of the pieces between the panes to the edges of the glass then re-set the whole thing in silicone.
The barn cat gets a free pass on that one as he has killed 4 weasels. Pet at your own risk :lol: I love my better half's barn cat :D
He is so tough that he deals with aggressive dogs by very calmly turning around and MAKING them sniff his butt :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I told my better half it is indeed a pathetic sight when an aggressive dog is reduced to that :oops:

Crosley.In.AZ

Mounted some rails to hang the yard tools.  Bought a 'kit' Rubbermade  brand stuff.  Metal rails, plastic cover. I looked at composite plastic rails. The heat in AZ worried with the plastic rails

Worked well.  been thinking about this for years (wife wanted it)  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Was headed out the door to attend Dad's 80th birthday party and discovered that the city's water main had sprung a leak in my yard.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Seriously? Ugh. I talked to the city water boys then went to the BD feed and it was fixed when I returned, but the yard is now a mud pit on the side that wasn't messed up from the lightning hit 3 weeks ago. It will have to dry out before fill work and cleanup. Luckily my 69 GP was not in the usual parking spot (stashed it at Dad's during yard hell week) so it didn't sink in the mud.

Still fighting my GTP's A/C pulley bearing job. Been a fortnight since I drove either one of my favorite cars. When it rains, it pours I reckon. Very ready for the luck pendulum to swing back the other way.
Matt

kb426

I spent most of the day machining on the 8 stack injector manifold. The work isn't real good. I didn't have tooling to do things as desired. The manifold is cut to the same height and parallel to the bottom. I had to do some work to make the center intake bolts a possibility to use. :) I machined an area where the IAC will have to go or connect to. 1 pic shows how the throttle will be positioned in general. I haven't finished checking geometry to assure equal operation on both banks.
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

That sure looks like a 48 IDA Weber bolt pattern on that intake.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I spent most of the day machining on the 8 stack injector manifold. The work isn't real good. I didn't have tooling to do things as desired. The manifold is cut to the same height and parallel to the bottom. I had to do some work to make the center intake bolts a possibility to use. :) I machined an area where the IAC will have to go or connect to. 1 pic shows how the throttle will be positioned in general. I haven't finished checking geometry to assure equal operation on both banks.

Gee ..To think I'm thankful when a flare on a piece of tubing comes out nice AND the flare nut is there ,(and pointed in the correct direction..),  :shock:   Or when my "rattlecan" work doesn't have runs .. :?  :lol:  :lol:

Nice work KB ..... 8)

Bob.. :wink: [/quote]
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

The title of this should be: I'd rather be lucky than good! :) This is a bit long but there are some details to clarify the lucky part. After purchasing the 8 stack injector, I became aware that it won't clear the large distributor cap. In doing some research, I found there was a discontinued adapter to put a MSD cap on the Ford tfi distributor. This used the Ford 2.3 efi rotor to make this work. That cap was over $30 plus shipping. Me thinking that I could adapt any cap to this so I didn't need to start with the MSD cap. Part of the MSD cap was male plug terminals so regular wires work. What I didn't consider was that the hold down screws on the MSD are way outside the circumference of the distributor. I was aware that my 5.9 Dakota has a screw clamp - male terminal cap. I order a cap, a Dodge rotor and the 2.3 efi rotor. At first glance, most of the dimensions of the rotors are within a few thousandths of each other. The cap is similar in diameter to the tfi distributor housing. When I take a good look, I see that the distributor has a rectangle mount on 1 side and a rounded 1 on the opposite. There are offset also. I thought they would be 180 degrees from each other. In looking at the Dodge cap, it has the same layout. The bolt spacing is different though. I sawed through the area on the cap where the hold down screws were which allowed them to match the tfi housing. After a bunch of measuring, I determined that I could turn the id of the cap register and get it to center on the housing. I could also go deeper so I could change the mismatch of depth for the rotor to the top of cap. I rigged this up in the mill, centered it and proceeded to take a light cut. The cap isn't round inside and has convolutes inside it.  The cutter promptly caught the cap and threw it across the shop! It didn't break it. :) I put it back in, clamped it a little differently and machined by turning the spindle by hand. I removed .165" this method. I used some dobs of light grease inside the cap in 4 places plus the top of the rotor to check clearances. I turned the engine over twice and everything looks good. I hadn't checked any of the unique mounting points of either cap before starting. I think this deal will work. At this point, boy did I get lucky. LOL
TEAM SMART