What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

The ball joint story continues. I sent an email to the manufacturer of the a arms and asked for the proper ball joint number. It was the AZ parts unit. I'm going to send another email with dimensions and see what the story is. I'm curious if the other side is different or the same. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I receive email tool ad notices from Harbor Freight.

In recent months they send out email titled: Disposal Notice

I chuckle a little bit since it is from Harbor Freight and sometimes their tool quality is a bit off
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

I think I have my steering shaft lengths done . I now have the steepest angle at 27 degrees and all the rest are less . I have enough room to put my finger between the steering and engine everywhere except by the oil filter but it is still about 1/4" in that spot . Next job is to weld in the steering shaft supports where they currently are clamped .

enjenjo

I have had a health issue for the last week, so I was grounded by the Dr. Today I went over to my grandsons house, and boxed in some windows for final trim. It took a bunch of shimming to get the openings square with the windows. It's a concrete block house built 70 years ago by an amateur. Now I have to cut the final trim, of course each piece is different, with different widths from end to end. And it takes four for each window.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, I hope the health issue was an ingrown toe nail or selective bad attitude. :) I've been replacing ball joints on the 51. More about that tomorrow after it's completed. Hope you all had a successful week. Tony, I had the same thought. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Got a buyer for the 05 Ranger...he's coming tomorrow, so I washed it yesterday. I washed the new Tacoma today. *...it's a lot bigger than the Ranger. It's like washig the old F100's.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Killed 2 scorpions tonite... purty exciting beginning to the weekend.

Bought 2 front American racing wheels for my 1962 Falcon.  The Torq Thrust D grey center spokes. 15 x 4.5 wide.  Will match the rear wheels already on the Falcon.
Tony

chimp koose

KB that wouldn't be ball joints from a certain MUSTANG that you had to replace would it ?   :P

kb426

C.K., the mustang isn't guilty for this one. This was all new parts from the company that made the front end kit. It's based on a 1980 camaro spindle. By the time I'm finished today, I think I'll know the whole story on this front end design. :)
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"Killed 2 scorpions tonite... purty exciting beginning to the weekend.

Bought 2 front American racing wheels for my 1962 Falcon.  The Torq Thrust D grey center spokes. 15 x 4.5 wide.  Will match the rear wheels already on the Falcon.

Have you tried a sonic pest repeller? Some have adjustable frequency. Sure worked for some squirrel pests.

kb426

Ball joint replacement is completed. With all the mess this week, I can tell you the synopsis. :) For some reason, the lower a arms are bored to the 69 camaro press fit size. This is about 80 thousandths less than a 79 camaro. I ordered a pair of 69's to see if that would be a simple fix. The 69's shank was too short. I wouldn't be able to get a nut on the full amount for a cotter key. Plan B was to machine the od of the 79 units. They were hard and I went slowly. I pressed them in and reassembled everything. The bolt pattern on the uppers was off so I corrected that last night. I've gone for a test drive to make sure everything seated properly and after it cools down, I'll align the front end. I didn't get an answer from the manufacturer about the undersize receiver hole. I guess it will remain a mystery. :) If the Moog's do there job, this should be the last time it's touched except for greasing.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Arnold"
Quote from: "Crosley"Killed 2 scorpions tonite... purty exciting beginning to the weekend.

Have you tried a sonic pest repeller? Some have adjustable frequency. Sure worked for some squirrel pests.

I have 6 of these solar charged sonic devices in the front yard. These are suppose to be effective on mole & gopher animals.  They dont seem to work.

There are other sonic devices I have read about. The reviews seem to indicate they dont work well on Scorpions.

I did kill a scorpion in the house last weekend
Tony

kb426

This is funny but not in the whole picture. I took the right side lower ball joint apart to make a spacer for future press needs. It was full of grease except right at the top. I stuck the housing in the lathe to face it off. It's nothing but soft cast iron! Even the AZ duralast was heat treated and hard to machine. I could say lots about this but I'm going to get something to drink and count my lucky stars. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Buyer came and picked up the Ranger today. I'm down to 4 vehicles, and feeling good. Just don't anyone come on here now with a deal I can't resist. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Tony, is there any answer for the scorpions except moving?
TEAM SMART