What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Last thing for today. I had enough energy left to tackle the throttle bracket on the 8 stack. The original was a piece of 1/8" x 5/8" steel strap, bent to fit. Not to well, I might add. :) I used a scrap of 1/4 x 1 6061 strap. The ends were milled to 1/8" thickness. The fastener that I used as the pivot will get replaced with a cut to fit spacer and maybe changed to a 12 point head unit. The pulley was turned around to do rearward pull, also. I've cleaned up the shop and sat down. I think I'm done for today. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

KB if that runs as good as it looks, watch out!  :shock:

Today I won more than once. It took some doing, but I fixed my daily driver  :D  Wow did I miss that thing  :!:  :!:  :!:  I'll fetch Grape this week. :D  :D  :D

When I was awakened at five something today by the neigh dog I had the  :idea:  to youtube angry dogs and stick a speaker in the window. Didn't take five minutes until all quiet again. Glorious.

The beyond-my-control-drama seems to be waning and a week ago I spoke for some time off soon. Cars, house, and life are all a shambles but the stress is draining away and I have a sportin' chance to regroup while I grow a new front yard.  8)
Matt

chimp koose

KB getting pretty fancy with that intake project . When do we find out what its for ? I spent time on the T steering today . I made a lower column mount bracket the other day and instead of tack welding it and checking the fit I just blazed it together . Guess what ? it didn't fit right , column at the wrong angle . So today I made a new mounting setup , looks a little nicer and I will tack it in and align it properly before I get happy with the welder . I might have steering by the end of the week .

kb426

papastoyss, I haven't measured but I believe you are correct on the manifolds original usage. Matt, if it just runs properly and starts and idles good, I'll be happy. :) CK, I'm doing research and getting closer. My original plan might have a flaw in it. :) I am not artistic and that causes difficulties. I'm finding that the more I think about something that I might see what I need to know to not have a mess. Besides, I've had to research application of metalflake. :) Bob, thanks for the compliment.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

First cover shot of something from the shop I work at. In stores now  :D  It was bliss having the GTP back today, ah. :)  

Anybody know what that ten point Scrabble word is? I don't even want to try and pronounce it :oops:

Matt

58 Yeoman

Dichotomy

Quotea division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Killed 4 scorpions sunday evening out in the yard
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Dichotomy

Quotea division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.

Aha! I support healthy brand rivalry  8)

Quote from: "Crosley"Killed 4 scorpions sunday evening out in the yard

You need something that makes better sounds when you stomp it  :lol:   :idea:  :?:
Matt

kb426

The new motor I purchased for my mill has started to be uncooperative. The seller on ebay said that it wouldn't work for a vertical mount. He said to return it for a refund. There doesn't appear to be many alternatives for this application. With that in mind, I dug the treadmill motor out of storage this evening. This is a 2.5 hp dc, 130volt setup. After doing a little work to connect the wires from about 4 years ago, everything was working. I reversed the leads and the motor runs both directions. The flywheel and pulley are 1 piece cast iron. All the youtube videos show a quick yank in the reverse direction and the pulley unscrews. Mine was not willing to participate in that operation. I used a cutoff tool to remove it. The shaft has lefthand threads which are metric. The shaft is only around .673" in diameter where it wasn't threaded. It will probably need a keyway cut into it for the pulley to be long lived. At this point, I haven't decided if this would be a good option for a drill press or to give it a try on the mill. Does anybody have any insight into this to advise me as to whether this is a bad idea for the mill or not? Most drill presses run short periods where the mill may run for hours. I know some users run a treadmill for more than 30 minutes. That motor can't be getting much cooling effect in that confined area. Does a dc motor make way less heat than ac? Does anybody have any thoughts?????
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Here are the LH metric nuts.  https://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-nuts/=17scfwq

Every thing I have read about tread mill motors say the have a reliable  HP rating of about 1/2 rated HP. I have a 1HP 220V AC motor on my mill, and it's more than adequate.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, what are using for a pulley- belt setup? Do you think a 220 volt unit would be better than a 120v ?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I went to the Mid America NSRA event today.  I had planmed to stay overnight there the next two nights but my plans changed and I am back home.  If the weather is good I will go back tomorrow and Sunday.  Carnut  will post some pictures in a day or two to verify that I was there.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, what are using for a pulley- belt setup? Do you think a 220 volt unit would be better than a 120v ?

As far as work accomplished, 110 will do as much as 220 but requires more power to do it. So if you plan on running it a lot 220 will be cheaper, but not necessarily better.

You can bore a 5/8"/.625 pulley to .673 no problem. For a pulley, you can also bore that to size too. I will assume you are replacing a motor with a step pulley, so I would suggest a pulley somewhat bigger than the second step, as it will be easy to slow down, and at least for me most of the higher speeds are seldom used.

You can cut a key way into the shaft with any means you have, I have even cut one with a dremel, and finished it with a file.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, thank you. I was curious if a gilmer belt was necessary. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Killed 8 scorpions tonite.

3 adults.  1 of them had 5 baby scorps on their back.

We Had the wedding anniversary this week.  #44  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)