What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Today, feeling exhausted from sanding, I turned around and took this pic for the bare steel lovers. Yep thats a quarter replacement seam below the original seam on the TA, just like the Chevelle. :roll: The plan is (or was) to patch this quarter.:roll:  :roll:  The other pic is  underneath it after some quick blasting and epoxy.

Matt

papastoyss

Quote from: "kb426"That Pontiac is a cool part of history. 59 Impala roof line, 3 deuce setup before everyone else had them, big as a train. It looks pretty good. It's the owners privilege but it seems real nice for his plans.
I'd shine it up, lose the chrome skirts, & drive it!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

chimp koose

Made smoothie running boards for the T today . used 16 gage . The plan is to make braces to box the underside lengthwise in line with the bolt holes . when finished I will bond on a rubber top side similar to a model A . I also started making a gas tank out of 18 gage . 18 " x 34 1/2 " x 6 3/4 " that fits in the trunk between the back of the seat bulkhead and the hump in the trunk floor for the frame kick up . I bead rolled the tank , looks like amateur night ! I will probably make a fake suitcase to cover the tank , it will be a side fill with the gas cap on the drivers side , outside the car . Tank should be over 15 imperial gallons .

kb426

CK, by my calculations, you will have 18.1 US gallons.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

You are probably right KB but imperial gallons are bigger . 2 1/2 cups to a pint  5 cups to a quart 20 cups to a gallon . 4.54L to an imperial gallon . I think to cover up the etch-a-sketch job on the bead rolling I will cover the gas tank with a fake suit case . Too bad because I had the beads spaced to match the ones rolled into the trunk floor .

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"CK, by my calculations, you will have 18.1 US gallons.

Remember KB ..."Imperial" gallons are what the Storm Troopers carry in their lunch boxes ..... :roll:  :?  :?  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"You are probably right KB but imperial gallons are bigger . 2 1/2 cups to a pint  5 cups to a quart 20 cups to a gallon . 4.54L to an imperial gallon . I think to cover up the etch-a-sketch job on the bead rolling I will cover the gas tank with a fake suit case . Too bad because I had the beads spaced to match the ones rolled into the trunk floor .

See now heres the trouble... using an etch a sketch for math problems when you could be using an abacus to roll beads. Wait, that didn't come out right.  :oops:  :idea: Seriously, you've been busy. Sounds like fun. Thanks for keeping our imaginations active with word pictures, CK.  :)  Sometimes the book is truly so much better than the movie!

Today I hear tell that my next victim is the 60 Biscayne.  :)  8)  Don't see em every day. How I can get myself pointed at one of these Pontiac jobs though? They have all gone around me so far at the shop. I might have done a thing or two on a couple, but wah. :(  Perhaps stamping of feet and holding of breath would... nah, I like Chevys just as well. Brand rivalry is just healthy man talk (although not if conversing with self like now) but I do feel more silly each time I take my old car out.  

Hey... wheres the wood wheels on that? Wait, that dolly was under the  :?:
Matt

kb426

Unless there's more hiding, the chevy looks good as compared to some of the past jobs.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Unless there's more hiding, the chevy looks good as compared to some of the past jobs.

It has pop riveted pans, whole thing. Some overlapped patchwork too, and the welds (resistance, small dots) look like the ones that were on the 33 quarters, Chevelle sail panel, and 76 TA left sail. I am seeing a pattern and realizing it may all be from a local school's methods at a point in the past. Not sure what the plan here is but I did get asked at some point casually if the rivets could be replaced with welds. That got a funny look from me but not instant smartmouth. Almost! :?  Wheelhouse area quarter patching and some finesse straightening are for sure. The rest does appear to be not too shabby. I'll be briefed pre-flight  :wink: and start a thread once I'm SURE its ME fixing it!  :oops:  :lol:
Matt

WZ JUNK

I drove the 54 to Springfield to a swapmeet.   The weather was summer like.  I have been sick and I am now mended and it was great to be able to enjoy the day.  I took route 66 home and snapped this shot of the car with the flying manure spreader aka "The Crapduster".

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, glad you're better. What is the plan for painting the front end?
This morning, I removed the window from the left side of the 51. For some reason, the channel at the bottom of the window seems to have slid sideways some and the window got to chewing into the channel. I had some new channel so it was a fairly easy fix. I hope that is the last time I have to deal with that. Last fall, I did the right side. It appeared to me that the arms on the power window regulator were binding in their operation and causing the window to bind in the channel. I loosened up the arms on both sides of the truck but I must have missed something. I'm back in business till I'm not. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, glad you're better. What is the plan for painting the front end?
This morning, I removed the window from the left side of the 51. For some reason, the channel at the bottom of the window seems to have slid sideways some and the window got to chewing into the channel. I had some new channel so it was a fairly easy fix. I hope that is the last time I have to deal with that. Last fall, I did the right side. It appeared to me that the arms on the power window regulator were binding in their operation and causing the window to bind in the channel. I loosened up the arms on both sides of the truck but I must have missed something. I'm back in business till I'm not. :)

I am waiting to paint the front until it is all debugged.  I have been busy replacing new parts that have failed since I started driving the car.  Next week we will order the materials for the interior.  After we do the upholstery I plan to do the body work and paint on the front.  I did not want to be working on the car and worrying about damaging the finish on the front clip.  The last big drivability issue is to find the poor running issue in the open loop prior to reaching operating temperature.  

As a side note I drove it about 250 miles today and it got 25 miles to the gallon.  I am happy about the mileage.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I drove the 54 to Springfield to a swapmeet.   The weather was summer like.  I have been sick and I am now mended and it was great to be able to enjoy the day.  I took route 66 home and snapped this shot of the car with the flying manure spreader aka "The Crapduster".

John

Crapduster  :lol:  

Today sucked, I feel sick. Now it makes sense that I ran out of gas Thursday afternoon. When theres no time for sick, the mind pushes through. Then when quitting time comes- BAM, sick. Perfect sunny Saturday in the high 70s. Prixs are pig pens and I wanted to wash em but all I could muster was a walk to the mailbox.  :(

I did get hungry enough around dark though and the GP fired right up so we both got fed. Swung a tiny loop through Fayetteville (usually devoid of old school junk on Sat nites) in lieu of a proper cruise and was amazed to meet cool smog Chevys at two lights. A rough survivor silver 78 Z/28 with stick shift and a wheezy sounding mill plus T-tops out, and a perfect looking 86 Monte SS who asked about my ride.   8)

So not a total loss.
Matt

sirstude

Spend the weekend on wiring the Olds.  I got through the first 2 bags of wires.  I will have to take some pics of the bus bar I found and the #4 stuff from the alternator.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us