What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I picked up this today. 1997 explorer rear end. 3.73 limited slip. This is one more part for the next project. I bought the springs, u bolts, pads, calipers but no rotors and pads. I'm concerned that the springs will be too long to use but the hardware will be useful.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

hey Bob , I found that vet story kind of funny myself ! The one thing that seems different without the dog around is that I used to share my porridge with her every morning . It just doesn't seem right to finish it all . I haven't had breakfast for the last couple days .

WZ JUNK

My wife and I went to Tulsa to the Starbird show today to research some upholstery styles, colors, and materials.  Lots to see.

On the trip home we stopped so that I could snap a picture of the local bail bondsman's advertising.  He has several of these in the area and each time I see one I laugh.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, how was the show?

I am not an indoor car show person but I do have a couple of trophies from Starbird.  It goes against me, but I guess we all have conflicts.  Indoor shows have been pretty much the same for my whole life.  I did see some of the high profile cars from the magazines, some historical hot rods,  and I visited with some old friends I had not seen lately.  I found a nostalgia rail with my name on it, and that was a surprise, and there was a Willys coupe that I did a lot of work on long ago.

There was a whole section that was devoted to the dark side of our hobby that I enjoyed most.  The place for the hot rods that are driven and the ones that are a little rough around the edges.  They were in the area of the tattoo artists and the pinstripers.  I fit in better there than with the mirrors, flood lights, and roped off displays.  In spite of these last statements, we looked at nearly all the 1000 entries.

It was a good day.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, I tend to agree with your statements. It does seem to take all of it to make our hobby what it is, though. My stuff has never been good enough for the show car circuit and I don't see that changing. :)
TEAM SMART

sirstude

I do a couple of indoor shows a year, mostly to visit with friends.  My cars are good enough for the indoor shows, as long as they turn out ALL the lights.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

I installed new brake pads on my Goldwing. Lots of rain here.

Found new water leak in my shop roof. Not leaking inside yet... leaking water under the eve where  aint suppose to be water drips
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

Gee, I started out as an indoor car show guy 'back in the day'. Even though it was my daily driver.

Guess I would say it's still my first love. For awhile it was my world.

But I still did some driving on occasion

But I retired from the shows several years ago when I just lost the gumption to do what was required to prep them in.

kb426

In case you wondered about my "sanity", this is today's work.
One of my friends is a glass man. He stopped at the right time. We removed the rear glass in one piece and saved the stainless trim on the front and rear. I wasn't worried about the money, just saving the parts. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"In case you wondered about my "sanity", this is today's work.
One of my friends is a glass man. He stopped at the right time. We removed the rear glass in one piece and saved the stainless trim on the front and rear. I wasn't worried about the money, just saving the parts. :)

OK yep I taste barf.  8)

Weekend edition of the IDJ show was pre-empted by a healing event. Its been a couple AWFUL weekends in a row, with beautiful weather which makes it tougher to suffer. You wouldn't believe me if I told you of my ailment so consider that a bullet dodged!  :-}

I don't know if any of our stuff was at the Starbird show. Don't think boss went.
Matt

Charlie Chops 1940

It's Monday and my wife has me on an ongoing devil's work project....the dreaded paper drive - which is primarily made up of MY magazines. A few weeks ago a huge stack of Goodguy Gazettes went to recycle. It was at least a five foot stack. Can't even tell were they came out of the stacks on shelved. Imagine an 18' long by about 9" high shelved wall with a fair bit of overflow strategically placed.

W have agreed that Monday morning's first set of exercises will be sort and haul up the stairs repeatedly or until I collapse in a full blown pant.

I did a 39" stack this morning and there wasn't a memorable magazine in that mess. I'm sure the next couple months of Mondays will see further trash stuff go before the "Ill be damned if I'll throw these out!!!" treasures come into view.

We're talking a 60 year collection of the GOOD stuff....HRM, SRM, R&C ,Road&Track, Car & Driver, Model Railroader, Car Craft, Super Chevy, Hot Ros Mechanix and more.

I'm gonna try to give as much as I can to anyone who wants to come over or pay shipping. Let me know if you have any interest.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Ohio Blue Tip

Good job Charlie.  Just last week my magazine collection went to the recyclier.  
A 50 year collection, came to almost 3000 pounds.
Sad, but must move on.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

kb426

I'm sympathetic with you guys on the magazines. :( I have kept removing years as I didn't see any hope of usefulness. I have some early 60's Hot Rod and R&C that I'm saving and a full year of Drag Racing mag from 1965 that I'm not ready to throw out yet. All the rest I tried to give away or trashed. Now that my memory is MIA so often, it doesn't make good sense to keep something that you can't use.
TEAM SMART

GPster

Back in '93 when I got out of the hospital I gave away a 10 year collection of Easyriders.  I was apparent to me that I'd probably never ride a motorcycle again and I didn't want a reminder of it in my mailbox every month. There was also a chance that I'd never drive again so I started looking for a place to get rid of an over 20 year collection of magazines from NSRA . I offered them in the newsleter and sent them with the same restriction and a new member in Washington State. He ended up paying $75.00 COD UPS for them. Had the same deal on probably 20 years worth  R&C, Street Rodder and other titles. Found an Aussie that wanted them but it was going to cost him about $350.00 for me to ship them to the west coast where he was going to try to get someone to stuff them in a car that was going to be shipped to Austrailia. When that fell through I took them to a few Swap Meets but no dealers wanted to be bothered. Offered them to a couple of Vet's Hospitals but they didn't want to be bothered either. Finally some guy from around Toledo sensed my frustration and drove over 250 miles one way and took them.  I started driving and collecting magazines again but kept them down to two titles/ Had a nice bunch of R&Cs and look what happened to them. Have  Rodder's Digest back to issues in the teens and debated about renewing it recently due to all the ads for marked down insidentals that they have. Sent them a check a month ago and it hasn't cleared yet. Might be best just to by them at the news stand if you see something in them you want to read and throw them away when you're done. That or buy subscriptions to them  for you're local library and go there to read them and deduct the price of the subscription of your taxes as a charitable gift. GPster