What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

That's cool, John. Is he our age?
TEAM SMART

kb426

It got up to 80 degrees here today. I have been cutting metal outside and washed the 51 after a road trip this morning. I killed hundreds of insects. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

spent time on the T this weekend . Doors are stripped of all parts and the hinges are bolted back in . Since I took it upon myself to fix the hinges, they are now out of alignment , Could I just take a measurement from the back edge of the door to the hinge pin holes and make them all the same ? I did not remove the top hinge from the doors and it seems to measure really close to the same as the bottom hinge using that reference. Its the middle hinge that is out by a good 1/16". I have not put a straight edge across them but may yet to get a clearer picture of what to move and where. I am thinking I should get the door hinges aligned on the doors and then do the door post halves after . I still have to drill the hinge pin holes in the upper hinges that I made .I did some more milling on them to allow me to bend them to the correct angle , whatever that may be .  I am thinking I should probably measure from the back of the door opening to the hinge pockets in the door post as well , If those numbers differ then the door edge to hinge theory is shot ! I also ran out of 12- 24 screws which are an uncommon size but used on all the T door hardware.Will order some tomorrow but hopefully they can be had with allen head instead of the easily stripped flat screwdriver ends there now . I also discovered that one of the door post hinges is not from this car as the mounting holes are in the wrong place . It may be less work to make a new one than to fix this one .

kb426

TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Thanks KB , that's what I want. I found some today but with phillips end and I also found some brass flat head around my shop in the drawers I never look in . I have also been thinking that if I put a mig wire contact tip in the top and bottom hinge and string a mig wire tight between them , it will show me where to move the middle hinge .

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"Thanks KB , that's what I want. I found some today but with phillips end and I also found some brass flat head around my shop in the drawers I never look in . I have also been thinking that if I put a mig wire contact tip in the top and bottom hinge and string a mig wire tight between them , it will show me where to move the middle hinge .

Whenever I asked dad how to do something, his first comment was to "stretch a string across a pigs rump, and pluck it with your teeth".
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "chimp koose"Thanks KB , that's what I want. I found some today but with phillips end and I also found some brass flat head around my shop in the drawers I never look in . I have also been thinking that if I put a mig wire contact tip in the top and bottom hinge and string a mig wire tight between them , it will show me where to move the middle hinge .

Whenever I asked dad how to do something, his first comment was to "stretch a string across a pigs rump, and pluck it with your teeth".

That is one nasty mouth harp you would be plucking :!:

Yesterday I plugged in the heater blower on the GP first time this year.

Here are some junks from the shop that I am not working on. GTO has fresh paint and the old Chevy cab is fairly solid, needs cab corner patches and some floor.

Matt

kb426

Matt, that steady flow of work into your shop speaks loudly. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I put the d/s door back on the T last night with the new hinge to get an idea of how its going to line up . door will not close but swings ok until about 2" open. I see where I can modify the new top hinge to get it much better . It appears I am not as far off base as I initially thought . This door thing has me stressed a bit .

purplepickup

The fuel pump quit in my van way back in the woods of northern Michigan. I had to call a wrecker to have it towed to a shop 20 miles away.
He couldn't get in the road so I had to cut down trees and clear another way in. He finally got in and took it to the shop.
The pump had to be ordered. I rented a car for two days. My first in-tank electric fuel pump failure.
$825 later I'm on my merry way. I miss the $29 mechanical pump that you can change with an end wrench. :?
George

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been tossing stuff in the trash this week again.  If it does not sell on eBay in 1 month, it goes into the trash or scrap metal dumpster.  Some budget manuals, HotRod books by various well known authors  were priced at half of other sellers on eBay... still did not sell.

Fitted some down bars on the Morris Minor 1962 this evening.   The duct tape is just holding the bars in place.  They will be welded in soon.  Trying to get the bars in alignment , straight ... is a major PITA

The rear of the bars , sit at the location on the rectangular tube  where the budget coil over spring mount setup is.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Moved the Morris from it's location for 10+ years...  to the car hoist. Lift the body off.  Finish the chassis work ( I hope).

I used a 4 wheel dolly at the back end of the Morris.  Floor jack under the front tube axle.

Should be interesting.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"I've been tossing stuff in the trash this week again.  If it does not sell on eBay in 1 month, it goes into the trash
I use a group called Freecycle to get rid of stuff that isn't worth selling. I've never offered something that wasn't taken within a day.
I offered an old chainsaw that was barely good for parts and a woman got it for her husband, who had a stroke, to fiddle with.
They were poor and he used to fix small engines for a living. They were really grateful.

I see there's a group for your area. https://groups.freecycle.org/group/GilbertAZ/posts/all
George

kb426

George, I'll remember that. Living in the boonies, it might not be useful but I'll look into it. :)
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Quote from: "kb426"George, I'll remember that. Living in the boonies, it might not be useful but I'll look into it. :)
I belong to some groups in the boonies and there's always someone asking for or giving away things.

If you sign up you can be notified of items by email if you want. Got a nice free couch couple of weeks ago for grandson's first apartment.
George