What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"I have a car acquaintance who suffered bad burns to the face years ago . While he was healing he was constantly applying vitamin E to his face to keep it literally wet . You would never know he had been burned when it was healed .

Coconut oil is heavy on the vitamin E. Many many years ago, Dad was with a friend out cutting firewood and found a square nail with the chainsaw... which bounced off his face when it bucked. He looked good after awhile too. It really is amazing, and I bet that guy you know learned about rubbing the scars in little circles too. All through my 20s, 30s and half my 40s my face looked fine but the body is a story book and forgets nothing.

Glad to hear that you are closing in on the door hinge situation, by the way. Every build seems to have some unique hurdle to jump and it sounds as if you are getting a good run at this one. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

I was able to achieve reasonable gaps yesterday on the 68 Mustang at work. It seems that the car had been fitted up fairly well at some point, but that the same skill was not used for reassembly. I was able to improve  just about all the fit issues with care and adjustment. Currently waiting for different hood hinges to come in but not sure why. If you guys would like to see a few pics I can upload some but theres nothing really noteworthy except those cool valve covers I didn't take a pic of. :roll:

I am thinking of a new, small or medium sized gas grille for Dad at Christmas. Mom has been wanting a fire pit too. Any of you had exceptionally good service from a particular smallish store-bought grill? Should I man up and fab one from a junk block? I want something he can count on to work fast when Mom craves fire on the meat.
Matt

Arnold

Quote from: "idrivejunk"I was able to achieve reasonable gaps yesterday on the 68 Mustang at work. It seems that the car had been fitted up fairly well at some point, but that the same skill was not used for reassembly. I was able to improve  just about all the fit issues with care and adjustment. Currently waiting for different hood hinges to come in but not sure why. If you guys would like to see a few pics I can upload some but theres nothing really noteworthy except those cool valve covers I didn't take a pic of. :roll:

I am thinking of a new, small or medium sized gas grille for Dad at Christmas. Mom has been wanting a fire pit too. Any of you had exceptionally good service from a particular smallish store-bought grill? Should I man up and fab one from a junk block? I want something he can count on to work fast when Mom craves fire on the meat.

My .02. Been there done that/talked to lots of people/seen lots of results on gas grille's with THIS issue.
Just buy one that will be easy AND safe to light when the push button lighter packs it in :evil: MAYBE buy one that you can ACTUALLY buy the thinggy and it is easy to get and change :roll:
My world those things sure have not lasted long. I believe it was 2 bbq's ago when my better half wanted one that the thinggy WORKED..that was the only thing wrong with it! Ya..next one the thinggy failed real quick and could not get a replacement :evil:
Better half: "Buy one that is safe to light WHEN the thinggy packs it in" Didn't take long for that one to pack it in either
At least it is safe and easy to light with one of those long lighters :lol:

58 Yeoman

]I decided to burn the small pile of gnarly tree trunks/stumps from when we cleared the trees out by the road. I got the fire started, then sat down to watch it burn. Hmmm...noticed one of the pull carts for our lawn tractors sitting there with the wooden side boards literally falling apart. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. Got a socket and wrench and proceeded to pull out the 1/4" bolts. Dropped the socket in the leaves as I moved and couldn't find it. The metal detector didn't help, so I raked the leaves and found it.

Carried the parts to the shop and disassembled it into its' individual parts. Got the boards that I needed to cut up with the table saw. Hmmm...dull blade. Changed the blade and continued. Got that all done and put away the saws (it took three). Wanted to use the weed whacker with blower attachment to clean the sawdust off the drive. OOOPS.  First have to install the fuel bulb I had ordered that was still sitting on the bench. Blew away the sawdust and put away the weed whacker and locked everything up before I found something else that I had to do.

Might work on the side boards more  tomorrow.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Arnold"

My .02. Been there done that/talked to lots of people/seen lots of results on gas grille's with THIS issue.
Just buy one that will be easy AND safe to light when the push button lighter packs it in :evil: MAYBE buy one that you can ACTUALLY buy the thinggy and it is easy to get and change :roll:
My world those things sure have not lasted long. I believe it was 2 bbq's ago when my better half wanted one that the thinggy WORKED..that was the only thing wrong with it! Ya..next one the thinggy failed real quick and could not get a replacement :evil:
Better half: "Buy one that is safe to light WHEN the thinggy packs it in" Didn't take long for that one to pack it in either
At least it is safe and easy to light with one of those long lighters :lol:

Now I know we are not alone. If they could invent one with parts that wear out gently and in unison, that would be great. If they could even make the same thing for five years that might be an improvement. The folks are operating currently with the last working burner on a nice medium sized rig thats several years old.

Grilles and weed trimmers are two things that quality seems tough to find / pay for on. :?
Matt

chimp koose

replaced the exhaust donut behind the cat on my 98 ranger daily driver .

kb426

Matt, my grill is connected to natural gas. Is that an option for your parents?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, my grill is connected to natural gas. Is that an option for your parents?

They are used to propane tanks but hmmm.... that is an interesting question and I believe it is an option. Does that type of setup have any advantages other than kicking the bottle?
Matt

idrivejunk

Hot diggity, just got word of a Super Chevy write up coming on that 68 el Camino from awhile back  :D
Matt

kb426

I had a decent propane supplier for years. The owners retired and sold the operation. The new guy had me ready to kill him in a few months. One of my friends family got him a new grille for Christmas. He gave me his old one that was setup for nat. gas. It doesn't work different but it sure is convenient. I light it with stick matches and buy parts from grilleparts.com for it. I have put in several burners over the years. I use this 5 days a week for lunch. It takes about 15 minutes to cook a hamburger that is fatter than fast food. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

That is a darn good tip, then. Gonna run it past Paw, it sounds right up their alley. :)
Matt

WZ JUNK

The new sill plates I had ordered and installed on the 54 Chevy did not suit me.  The plate interfered with the door bottom and did not cover the edge of the carpet.  I had a friend turn me a quick set of plastic dies for my bead roller and I made new ones.  The bead is 1/2" wide by 1/2" deep and it was difficult to roll but I got it done.   I like them, but I may make one more set to tweak them some more.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

^^^^^
Somewhere there's a kids skateboard and he's wondering who took his wheels. :) Looks good, John. Are you going to put some kind of emblem or something on them? Be a good place to "personalize" .
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Wife n I have been under the weather.  Seems half the Valley of the Sun in AZ  has sinus infections , coughing , crud.  Wife came down with it Wednesday of Turkey week.  The crud hit me this past week.

On the flip side: I have  1 dead gopher.  The trap I have works very well when you are able to insert it into a tunnel so the gopher cruises into it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Crosley"Wife n I have been under the weather.  Seems half the Valley of the Sun in AZ  has sinus infections , coughing , crud.  Wife came down with it Wednesday of Turkey week.  The crud hit me this past week.

On the flip side: I have  1 dead gopher.  The trap I have works very well when you are able to insert it into a tunnel so the gopher cruises into it

I have had a bought of it myself.  Last Sunday morning I was at our local Urgent Care before 8 AM.  The waiting room was empty.  I saw the doctor and was out the door with a prescription in less than a half hour.  From now on I will plan to be sick on Sunday mornings.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH