What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

Quote from: "chimp koose"Thanks  Bob , sometimes I think the special place will be a padded room but for the most part I have not regretted my choice in careers . The last machine shop I worked at full time before teaching closed this summer . I got to walking around in the old place and it sure felt odd . I think I got the best of both worlds where I am now , I always wanted to run a machine shop of my own when I worked in the trade and now I have that as well as the full time job of passing on skills to kids . It is a great feeling visiting machine shops and see kids you introduced to the trade making a good living at it . I am nearing the end of my career and I am going to miss the interaction with kids when I am gone . At least I now have machines at home to keep machining in retirement .

do you assign video home work from online sites..

videos?view=0&flow=grid

https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/Abom79/videos

videos

or do you have your own channel..  since you have home machines.. start recording.. might as well make the internet pay you..

this happened yesterday..

Crosley.In.AZ

A new Slow Record for USPS  from the LA Calliefornia area to Arizona.

Item bought on eBay 8-13-2016  saturday

In the USPS system 8-15-2016  monday

Disappeared on 8-16-2016 ... No further tracking update till 8-28-2016

Delivered on 8-29-2016
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "wayne petty"
Quote from: "chimp koose"Thanks  Bob , sometimes I think the special place will be a padded room but for the most part I have not regretted my choice in careers . The last machine shop I worked at full time before teaching closed this summer . I got to walking around in the old place and it sure felt odd . I think I got the best of both worlds where I am now , I always wanted to run a machine shop of my own when I worked in the trade and now I have that as well as the full time job of passing on skills to kids . It is a great feeling visiting machine shops and see kids you introduced to the trade making a good living at it . I am nearing the end of my career and I am going to miss the interaction with kids when I am gone . At least I now have machines at home to keep machining in retirement .

do you assign video home work from online sites..

videos?view=0&flow=grid

https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/Abom79/videos

videos

or do you have your own channel..  since you have home machines.. start recording.. might as well make the internet pay you..

this happened yesterday..

You are correct Wayne  .. These are all good sites with LOTS of info...

Another source with an incredible amount of info is here :

http://neme-s.org/Tubalcain/machine_shop_tips.htm

This is a retired machine shop teacher that has put almost everything machine shop related on video....  Kinda "dry" but LOTS of info .....

Oh... I saw the cam "degreeing" video..I don't think that he had the correct temperature  on that wheel for proper alignment ... :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

So you teach machine shop! I had only heard vague references to you being some sort of instructor, and heard your joy when you got a cool machine. And now you're planning retirement! Whatever that is. Congrats on it all, sir.  8)

This week I've been a metal custodian. Never seen such rushed slop before and it troubles me. Had a sour mood lately anyway. I had no desire to even take pics of yesterday's adventure at the tail end of this but the firewall is beginning to clean up.

Matt

WZ JUNK

I finished a couple of jigs to hold body parts yesterday.  The one with the hood will rotate so that I can weld and peak the hood without leaning out over the hood.  I have some finish work to do on these pieces to prep them for paint.  I was tired of chasing parts around the shop on saw horses.  The metal for these stands is more of the free tubing that was packing crates.

I have jury duty today.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThis week I've been a metal custodian. Never seen such rushed slop before and it troubles me. Had a sour mood lately anyway. I had no desire to even take pics of yesterday's adventure at the tail end of this but the firewall is beginning to clean up

PLEASE tell us that those were the "before" photos... :shock:  :shock:  :roll:

Bob.... :wink:

idrivejunk

Did what I could with it in a day. It'll live. Theres grinding left to do.

Matt

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Did what I could with it in a day. It'll live. Theres grinding left to do.

Looks like a lot of hard work to me.  My old bones could not work bent over in an area like that very long.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

58 Yeoman

Looks good.

How was jury duty today, John? Get picked?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Looks like a lot of hard work to me.  My old bones could not work bent over in an area like that very long.

John

Mine either! Its on a two-post lift so I had the floor just above knee height  and sat or leaned into the cabin most of the day. Access was actually a delight in this case but yes lots of grinding dust stuck to my face. I only raised it up for that five minutes of grinding underneath at the end of the day.
Matt

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Looks good.

How was jury duty today, John? Get picked?

Trial was canceled, I collected my $18.21 and returned home.  Small town fun though because I know the judge, the county clerk is a former student, as well as the court bailiff.  I had a nice visit with all of them, and did my civic duty.

As a side note, I will be one of the ones standing when the national anthem is played.  A football player should respect the symbol that allows him to express his political views.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

UGLY OLDS

Sorry about my "before" post ..Ya gotta do what the customer wants .....

I agree ...That's a LOT of work for one day .... 8)
It would take me longer than that to decide what to do ... :?

John..I agree with you .. I also will be standing ..Perhaps wobbling a bit but standing .... );b(

Bob... :wink:

kb426

Matt, good progress. John, I agree with you  and I'm always glad when I don't have to serve. :) Bob, maybe you shouldn't drink so much before standing? :)
I'm about to prime the areas of work on the drip rail project. Little masking and I'm off. Break time is over. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

been off line for a few days . Back to work and having back pain to boot . had not been to the chiropractor in11 years . Matt , that floor to firewall overlap looks kind of poopy for a hot rod . perfect for a fix and get on the road job . The thought of retiring creeps up now and then but all I need to do is look at the bank account and I put those thoughts on the back burner . Just making sure that when I decide to go I will only be leaving the students behind . Never want to put down the tools .

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, good progress. John, I agree with you  and I'm always glad when I don't have to serve. :)
QuoteBob, maybe you shouldn't drink so much before standing? :)
I'm about to prime the areas of work on the drip rail project. Little masking and I'm off. Break time is over. :)

It's the junk legs & feet that cause the wobble ... :oops:    As long as my cane is handy I rely on a "three point stance" ... :idea:  
I'm REAL easy to track in the snow ...Two footprints & a dot ...... :?

When that fails, I do my best to execute a "graceful landing" ..... :lol:

Bob..... :wink: