What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Went to Detroit today to look at a couple fun daily drivers - didn't get past the first one which I drove home. It's a silver 2005 Cadillac CTS-V  4 door, black leather, 6 speed manual, LS V8. It's basically a 4 door 5 passenger Corvette. I think I'm gonna like it....
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

chimp koose

Dove in to my friends 62 T bird today to fix a badly aligned p/s pump . We made a mounting bracket by cobbling one out of a mid 70s 1/2 ton bracket. Whipped up a few spacers and it works just fine . He is happy and so am I . It felt good to get after and finish a project for once in a long while .

kb426

Frank, I used to build race car trailers. I think my record was 1600 rivets in a 26' trailer.
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

I took a Wells Cargo trailer down to the bare framework once and re-skinned it. It's a ton of work that's for sure.

I had to buy a new gas grill today. The old one was pushing 25 years old and the bottom literally corroded out of it. I knew I was in trouble when the instructions said "Approximate assembly time 20 minutes". Four hours later it's ready for steaks. Oh wait; I bought a gas grill today. Have to settle For hot dogs.

Tom

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Due to idrivejunk's post, I have purchased an obd2 dongle and Torque Pro software. I'm using a Galaxy tablet because I'm not a phone person. I have it working and am getting educated about it. It's too early to know if it is useful or just interesting. It sure has a lot of capabilities, though.

You got the stuff and it works? Awesome. It is fun to mess with, especially when you "need" it. If nothing else, you can amaze your friends. At least around these parts. I played around with it until I started to get my mind around EFI but whew it makes my head hurt. Just be safe while monitoring.

My 99GP GT threw me a curve yesterday and has a new stalling issue that Torque might help diagnose. Hope it ain't the dang fuel pump  :roll: $$$ I don't recall seeing a fuel pressure PID when I looked before  :?

Oh and uh... Is a dongle a cord? I kinda wanted a cord.
Matt

Carnut

Rivets? Rivets? Try a time study from start to finish on a Cessna Citation 550 Fuselage, Wings and Empennage or the wings assembly of a Learjet 25 Model. Heh, Heh, there's some rivets.

kb426

Matt, you have to buy an extension cable for the "dongle". There are straight and right angle ones available. On the 51, my plug is under the dash out of the way. I plugged the dongle in and went to work connecting. I'm an android novice so it took just a little to get the right bluetooth connection. The mustang's ecu is old enough that it doesn't support all the available functions but it sure is interesting to use. I can tell that I will burn up lots of time with it. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Still had to look up dongle.  :lol:  :wink:

The cool thing is it works with just about anything with OBD2. I am fairly clueless with it, and when I started monitoring KR I just could not get my mind around how the car runs so well with so much timing taken out. A wise friend pointed out that more displays on a screen runs slower, and suggested I try just KR and timing advance alone on one screen together. Then I began to see the light. I had been monitoring fuel trims mostly up until then and begun to see how they work together. Timing is the same way, kinda. The table is configured to throw a timing curve that would make a race car on race gas proud, and knock retard constantly reminds it of the conditions and brings advance to the sweet spot at any given moment.

I just hope it doesn't send you running away screaming about going to a carb!
Matt

idrivejunk

Walked past this... looks to be getting to the interesting stage-

Lookin like the MAF died on the GT, and I have a spare L67 engine at the shop so... luckily the L36 uses same and I grabbed it to try later. :)
Matt

58 Yeoman

Yesterday, we lost water pressure; we live in the country. Power to the pump, but nogo. Called a local well driller, and luckily he was just finishing up a job, and came 90 minutes later. He could tell the pump was on, then kicking out with the thermal overload. His son came with the boom truck and they pulled the pump, it was shot, and so were the pipes going down...all rusty. He had a new pump on the truck, but had to run to Peoria to get the new pipes.

The well is a 4" casing, and it has a slight bend somewhere down the line. They cleaned the well, and had trouble getting the new pump down, partly because of the bend(warp), and partly because of the rusty sides. Five hours later, we had water, but we're $2100 shorter on cash. We were really lucky to get someone so soon, and I told him that I really appreciated it.

This was the first time I've ever seen a well pump replaced, and I learned quite a bit about wells. The house was built in '79, and the first pump had been replaced in '95; he read the date on the old pump. We did better on the second pump; it lasted 21 years. I think he said that the old pump was a 'redline' brand, with plastic parts. The new pump is a Gould with SS parts.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Did he say what depth your pump is at vs. the total depth of the well  :?:
Did they use PVC or plastic pipe on the new pump ??

You are fortunate that they were able to get the "pitless adapter" loose from the casing ... :arrow:   Around here they rust solid & sometimes cannot be broken loose from the casing .... :shock:   ( Picture the front of the boom truck 4' in the air & the operator "bouncing" the winch trying to shock the adapter loose)  :twisted:  
That's when you see the "old timers" vs. the new guys in the well buisness...   My next door neighbor had that exact scenario....  :roll:

The well guy poured 6-- 2L bottles of Coke down the well casing on the adapter with the front of the truck 2' in the air for leverage ...It broke loose on the 6th bottle ... 8)

He advised the only other option is to dig the top 8' of the well & casing out & cut them loose with a torch... :shock:  :?:

There are some people in our area that have actually built decks over their wells ..... :roll:  :shock:  :lol:  
 The well guy says that in that case he uses a chain saw for access.... :idea:
A town north of us has old homes that still have closed off wells that were dug in the basement ....   :roll:

All things considered, it sounds like you did well for your $$$$....    Gould is a good pump..... 8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

The depth of the well is 91', and he replaced 84' feet of galvanized 1" pipe. The pump is at the 91' level. The pipe was screwed into a metal adapter on top of the pump that was screwed into the plastic parts of the pump. I asked the son what they would've done if it had broken. He said that they have some 'home-made' tools that will twist into the broken pump that usually works.  Otherwise, dig a new well.

They've been in business since '58, a 2 man family business. He knows many of the wells in this whole area, and who dug them. Many have gone out of business. He said that they put in 24" wells now, instead of 4". He put it in his records that the next pump installed at this site will be a 3". IIRC, he said that it spins at 11,000 rpm's and will put out the same pressure/volume.

My spool is 4' down.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The depth of the well is 91', and he replaced 84' feet of galvanized 1" pipe. The pump is at the 91' level. The pipe was screwed into a metal adapter on top of the pump that was screwed into the plastic parts of the pump.

Around here, black polyethylene pipe (continuous from a coil) is commonly used in place of galvanized pipe on a relatively shallow well like yours.  ....A stainless cable or polypropylene rope is used to suspend the pump so if the pipe should  separate, the pump can be retrieved.  ....These can be easily pulled by hand, without the need of a boom truck, and I've done it for several relatives.

The well at our carwash uses 2" schedule 80 PVC pipe, but requires a boom truck.  ...The pump is 180' down.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Arnold

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The depth of the well is 91', and he replaced 84' feet of galvanized 1" pipe. The pump is at the 91' level. The pipe was screwed into a metal adapter on top of the pump that was screwed into the plastic parts of the pump.

Around here, black polyethylene pipe (continuous from a coil) is commonly used in place of galvanized pipe on a relatively shallow well like yours.  ....A stainless cable or polypropylene rope is used to suspend the pump so if the pipe should  separate, the pump can be retrieved.  ....These can be easily pulled by hand, without the need of a boom truck, and I've done it for several relatives.

The well at our carwash uses 2" schedule 80 PVC pipe, but requires a boom truck.  ...The pump is 180' down.

Stainless cable.
 Dug well,black poly.No basement but no sump pump :D
 We had high water table a while ago and I actually knew several people who had their sump pump fail/power off AND their battery backup pumps  fail at the same time.

enjenjo

It's been one of those days :x  Yesterday I picked up a transmission, and loaded it in the back of my Escape. I had to run over to Sylvania to pick up a distributor this morning, and when I came out of the place there was oil running out the back of my car. The transmission had tipped over and drained about 4 quarts of oil into the back of the car. So I had to pull the carpet, spare tire cover, spare tire out, wash them all up, wash out the inside of the car, and put it back together. Fortunately it all ran into the spare tire well so it didn't get all over the back seat.

So then I needed to put new tires on the back of my lawn mower. It took me three hours to mount two tires. :evil:  When I had that done, I decided to mow the grass, half way around the yard the belt to the deck broke, about 5 minutes after the store closed. So I called it a day.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.