What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"It's been one of those days :x  Yesterday I picked up a transmission, and loaded it in the back of my Escape. I had to run over to Sylvania to pick up a distributor this morning, and when I came out of the place there was oil running out the back of my car. The transmission had tipped over and drained about 4 quarts of oil into the back of the car. So I had to pull the carpet, spare tire cover, spare tire out, wash them all up, wash out the inside of the car, and put it back together. Fortunately it all ran into the spare tire well so it didn't get all over the back seat.

So then I needed to put new tires on the back of my lawn mower. It took me three hours to mount two tires. :evil:  When I had that done, I decided to mow the grass, half way around the yard the belt to the deck broke, about 5 minutes after the store closed. So I called it a day.

You gotta know when to fold 'em :idea:  :roll:

Better luck tomorrow, Frank. ATF, sheesh  :cry:
Matt

UGLY OLDS

I'm going over estimates to re-roof my house & garage... :?  What a back stabbing crazy business to be in .. 3 estimates , ALL quoting the SAME specific products, $$$$ all over the place  ... :shock:   A difference between the high & low at +++++  4 figure$  :roll:

Maybe tomorrow I'll try something easier ...(See Below ).....

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Gettin ready to smooth out the rear panel under the trunk lid on my Falcon 1962.. Owned the car near 14 yrs.  Time to doing something.

Straight edge of my square against the panel.  Shows the low spots.  Will need some bumping of the metal.  I am very slooow at this.

The small round holes off left n right of center.. were silly looking backup lights. I will fill those in.

May fix the gas  filler hole or fill it.  Gas tank filler is in the trunk for several years.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Bob, in my area, we have been changing to metal because of hail damage over the past decade. I'm pretty knowledgeable about metal products if you're interested.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Jeez Frank,

You shoulda slept in a little - LOL. Man I've had days like that. I dropped a freshly opened gallon of red lacquer on the shop floor years ago. I didn't know I could jump the fast. Ya did the best ya could.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Bob, in my area, we have been changing to metal because of hail damage over the past decade. I'm pretty knowledgeable about metal products if you're interested.

Thanks KB , I don't have enough "structure" under my roof deck to support metal.. No trusses, formal framing,etc...Picture concrete forms laid on 4 sides of the house until they touch & then nail them down..3 collar ties across the middle & call it complete ...I can not get up there & move around to add any additional bracing / etc.. Part of this repair will be to open the roof deck &  replace a 2X6 rafter that split lengthwise over the years .... :shock:

The good news is that the contractor that I have doing the work offers a full 10 year warranty on his labor ..( All the "biggies" in the area only offer 5 years ) ..
We discussed the 15 year / 30 year warranty on the shingles & he asked where I plan to be in 30 years ... :?   Pretty good point ....
He was also the only bid that did not "push" things ... I had some questions, he gave me straightforward answers , no "maybe's / if's / could be's / etc"..

He also came in $4K BELOW the high bid for the exact same product..:shock:  :roll:

Thanks again for the offer ..

Bob ... :wink:

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"It's been one of those days :x  Yesterday I picked up a transmission, and loaded it in the back of my Escape. I had to run over to Sylvania to pick up a distributor this morning, and when I came out of the place there was oil running out the back of my car. The transmission had tipped over and drained about 4 quarts of oil into the back of the car. So I had to pull the carpet, spare tire cover, spare tire out, wash them all up, wash out the inside of the car, and put it back together. Fortunately it all ran into the spare tire well so it didn't get all over the back seat.

So then I needed to put new tires on the back of my lawn mower. It took me three hours to mount two tires. :evil:  When I had that done, I decided to mow the grass, half way around the yard the belt to the deck broke, about 5 minutes after the store closed. So I called it a day.

Frank, when I have days like that, after I'm done cursing the world, I like to think that at least it all happened on one day and didn't spread out and ruin several days in a row! 😄

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"

Frank, when I have days like that, after I'm done cursing the world, I like to think that at least it all happened on one day and didn't spread out and ruin several days in a row! 😄

Today is not much better, I went three places before I found a belt, and the mower gas can tipped over and spilled gasoline in the car.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "phat46"

QuoteToday is not much better, I went three places before I found a belt, and the mower gas can tipped over and spilled gasoline in the car.

Did it at least help clean up the spilled oil from yesterday  :?:   Sort of a "grease cutter" kind of thing   :?:  :?:
See... Yet ANOTHER reason for somebody to stop smoking .... :P
 In that car anyway ..... :lol:

Bob... :wink:

58 Yeoman

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one with great days like that. Today, we bought a 'round' dog pen, 9 individual fence panels, 4' high and 2' wide, all connected together to make a circle for your pet. (We bought this at a garage sale).  I brought it home and took all the panels apart, with 5 clips on each side of each panel. I then turned 5 panels sideways and clipped them together using the same clips. This will be a fence for my wife's flower garden, 20' long and 2' high. It will keep the cats out of the garden.

I set it in place and noticed that 3 of the 5 panels are backwards, with the horizontal bars on the inside instead of the outside. That'll give me something to do tomorrow.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Annual maintenance on the old truck today.  Oil change, grease, adjust and check things.  I decided to bleed the brakes and change out the brake fluid.  I broke off a brake bleeder.  No one stocks the nonmetric GM calipers.
I got the bleeder about but that also removed a repair fitting that no one stocks locally.  The parts I need to finish will be here tomorrow.  Do not fix things that are not broke.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

You guys are scaring me. :) I went to Liberal this evening for the kickoff party for the Yellow Brick Road show. Tomorrow I'll go back and hopefully have a day without incident! The only thing I have to add is: this seems to happen more frequently with age. We all have stories to tell. John, years ago one of my best friends is getting his 29 ready to go to St. Paul. He's tightening the throttle linkage and breaks it off. It's a 10-32 rod end ball for a morse cable style end. He knows that no one will have one. Except for his racer friend. I always carried several in the trailer just in case. I fully understand your story. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I got home from Liberal. I left a little early because it looked like some weather could develop. The 51 made 3 60 mile trips on this fill up. There was wind both hurting and helping at times. The average is 20.1 mpg. I'm not real happy with that number but I'm not sure that  I can do anything to improve it. I cleaned it up and now it's ready if the weather hits. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

A show car and car show story, fresh from today-

The owner of this came in last week for a visit:

Thats one I did eveything but paint on 2-3 years ago, and its still my favorite Ford. For now. Anyway, I asked if he was still showing it and the answer was pointing and telling me about the car show today. I wanted to see my old friend Mach, to see how its holding up. He says perfect.

So I went, knowing he and a few other dudes I know would be there. Of course, I showed up as the tail end of the parade cars were leaving for that. Missed the Mach1 dadgummit.

But since Gary had asked if I to work the Meguiar's display, I knew there would be friends hanging out near that. Place I work was a sponsor, I guess. Anyhow, there were cool local Pontiacs that rarely miss a show-

Pontiac is my main squeeze! Those are a couple nice ones.

The FWD Pontiac in the foreground above... well I can't talk jive about that, its minty and I got there in this-

21 city MPG and a blower, so OK. On with it.

So I headed for the black trailer area. Everybody was splitting but I got to hear em which is way best. Saw one of the few bullet T-birds we haven't resto-modded yet at the shop. Been 3 so far.

Anyway yeah, the green one stands out, thats Gary's ride. Hang on, I walk slow on my day off.

Before I made it over there I saw another familiar one.

That one is in the current month's issue of StreetTrucks. Sweet. Guess who did bodywork on it?

After that pic, I looked left. Theres Jerry's Camaro and Alvin's Roadrunner. Didn't work on those myself (a little on the Camaro cowl), but where are the guys? Hmm...

Hey wait, I recognize Ray's Model A also-

Gary's. I think I may have straightened quarters and extensions on that. Or something.

Then I was like yeah! I do love a 68 Chevelle! I took the pic and walked around, told the guy there I loved it. He thanked me and proceeded to strike up a little conversation. Of course I asked whats in it, but he didn't know for sure.

That line of four cars is a local rod shop family. Aha. When he said "Thats MY truck" and pointed at the red 55 with 57 cab sitting low with ghost flames, I said I'm your bodyman.

After a lightly awkward pause I said I did your door handles and bear claws and did surgery on your cowl and doors and stuff. Out came a hand and we properly introduced ourselves. Man you just never know who you're standing next to, do ya?

So the Chevelle has an LS3 and I found all my friends and bs'ed then caught a few more pics on the way out. Slim pickins but these are what appealed. I dig the lead sleds.

Matt

UGLY OLDS

Neat photo's Matt ... 8)   Thanks for takin' us along ... :D

Bob.... :wink: