What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"I know a guy who has done that a couple times and he says getting a salesperson to take you seriously is actually quite the challenge. You may end up having to deal with a manager because that type of purchase is so unusual that sales may not know how to make the sale.

Wonderful news on her retirement! Keep in mind as you go along that retirement is to be stricken from the english language after you guy's generation. Sounds like a laugh but its a cry.

QuoteI want to take a big roll of hundreds with me like Richard Rawlings on Fast and Loud, but I'll probably write a check. 😉

It's sad , but true ... I remember my Dad negotiating the purchase of a new car one time ...  The negotiations went on for about an hour to determine a final price after colors, options & etc. had been discussed ...
Once the final price was determined, my Dad said " Sounds Good, let me give you a check" ... At that point the salesman was taken aback & responded ," Oh , I cant sell at that price for cash .. I based my pricing on you financing the purchase" ...
I never could understand that logic .....   :?

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"I know a guy who has done that a couple times and he says getting a salesperson to take you seriously is actually quite the challenge. You may end up having to deal with a manager because that type of purchase is so unusual that sales may not know how to make the sale.

Wonderful news on her retirement! Keep in mind as you go along that retirement is to be stricken from the english language after you guy's generation. Sounds like a laugh but its a cry.

QuoteI want to take a big roll of hundreds with me like Richard Rawlings on Fast and Loud, but I'll probably write a check. 😉

It's sad , but true ... I remember my Dad negotiating the purchase of a new car one time ...  The negotiations went on for about an hour to determine a final price after colors, options & etc. had been discussed ...
Once the final price was determined, my Dad said " Sounds Good, let me give you a check" ... At that point the salesman was taken aback & responded ," Oh , I cant sell at that price for cash .. I based my pricing on you financing the purchase" ...

My Dad bought all his cars with cash, he wasn't wealthy by any means, he was a U.S. Customs inspector, he always said "If you can't pay cash for something you don't need it", those days are loooong gone Dad. 😄

kb426

The shortest deal I ever made was for a 94 intrepid. I asked for the cash no trade price and the salesman opened up a book and read of a number. I tried to bargain some and he said "that's it" There's no other price. We wrote the check and drove off. Didn't take 5 minutes. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"The shortest deal I ever made was for a 94 intrepid. I asked for the cash no trade price and the salesman opened up a book and read of a number. I tried to bargain some and he said "that's it" There's no other price. We wrote the check and drove off. Didn't take 5 minutes. :)

Yep... back in 2005 , GM was blowing out trucks at special prices. "Here is the price, take it or not."  I got  the 2006 truck , because GM slap ran out of 2005 trucks and the sale was still running

The Dealer finance guy, called my credit union.  They told him "no" :   then he calls me with an attitude like I was full of bull feathers.  Some one at the credit union turned down the payment number on the truck that I had set up. Credit union needed the amount from the dealer to cut the check.

I called the credit union. After several apologies from the credit union manager, the truck was paid for.

Turned out in the long run:  the Dumb A finance guy did not call the number & name I gave him.  Then gets an attitude with me.  Likely he was po'd more , since I refused all the add-on warranty type crap he wanted to sell me
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Today I took this picture of the freshly painted, aluminum headed 390 for the 67 Ranger pickup. Thats body color with flat clear.  :shock: Makes you want to go for a swim somehow, don't it?

As soon as I hit the clock this morning I was waved into the office and handed this copy of the May 2016 Street Trucks magazine, opened to page 92. Theres a slammed blue 68-72 Chevy on the cover. Anyway, I put Kindig-It handles and bear claws in this a couple years ago, and surgery to make clip meet cab, etc. It turned out slick but the wheels just slay it.

To claim my (ours, everyone's) braggin rights, I say this makes three for me. All trucks and I love muscle, but still... I'll take it!    :D

There was a 62 F-100 in Truckin', then a 41 Ford pickup in Classic Trucks, now this! I told the crew we'll never get car ink until we put exhausts in the front bumper of something with wheel-sized hairdryers.  :idea:

It was another episode in 68 Camaro land today. See thread for report. :arrow:

In reference to the previous conversation... I have never figured out how to get a car newer than ten years old. True story!  :?  :oops:  :!:
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Congrats on the truck spread.....   8)

I'm tellin' ya...  The word is out & more people than ever know to bring their stuff to you.... :idea:   );b(

On the downside, better not plan any vacation time .. :roll:

idrivejunk

I'm used to no vacations! Actually thats a sore spot to be honest. Big money would be great though  :lol:

The article only says he took the truck to us to have it sanded and prepped, and even credits somebody else for the handle install. But I have plenty of pics. It was a mess.

I hope to just keep fixing muscle cars always, but theres a lot of satisfaction in anything old. It tears me that when I took this job it meant death to my personal pursuit of the hobby :cry: but nobody wants to hear about that!

It sure beats the thankless grind of late model collision repair but theres just no potential for income growth. I'm getting better with steel as I go, and as I look back... it really is like 80% fixing other people's fixes. I just like doing sheetmetal repair and panel replacement and those are carryover skills from before. Anything goes smoother if you do a lot of it, I reckon.

Thanks for your encouragement  :-o

Matt
Matt

sirstude

Just brought the Impala home from winter storage.  I rebuilt the carb last winter, and it took right off and idled.  Not bad for a Holley with guessing on the float levels.  They look just right in the sight glass.  Going to take it off one more time and open the rear butterfly a bit more, helps with the idle. The front blades don't have to uncover the transfer slots so far with the cam.  Old school was to drill the front blades with 1/8 in holes.  Holley on the Street Avengers finally put a screw adjustment on the rear blades.  Only hard part is that it adjusts from the bottom.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

papastoyss

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

My Dad bought all his cars with cash, he wasn't wealthy by any means, he was a U.S. Customs inspector, he always said "If you can't pay cash for something you don't need it", those days are loooong gone Dad. 😄
Most car dealers make as much $ on what is known as the "back side" of the deal where the F&I person tries to sell you on financing, paint sealant ,extended warranty, ect after you have negociated (bent over) the sale price.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

WZ JUNK

My brother and I drove his 57 Chevy truck to Austin, Texas to the Lonestar Roundup this weekend.  We met a group at Dallas early Thursday morning for a backroads tour to Taylor, Texas and a pre event barbecue.  On the way there one of the cars had a front brake lock up.  He turned into a semi truck that was going the other direction.  The car spun and threw him out the passenger door and he landed in the highway.  The car just behind him swerved and missed him. He got up and walked off of the highway with minor injuries.  That is him standing by the car.  One of the oddest things I have ever experienced.  We were 4 cars behind him when it happened.   The last report I got said that he had some minor injuries.  We should no more about him in the days ahead.  I plan to stay in contact with the leaders of the group for updates.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Boy John, it sure wasn't his day to die! He missed the bullet several times in that deal. When it was over, did you look at your brother and have a rather interesting statement to make? :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

The most important thing ......Do you think that his next car will have seat belts  :?:  :?:  :shock:

idrivejunk

Just wow. :shock:  Thats a lot of luck to have both ways in one day let alone one instant. Seat belts are your friend :!:
Matt

enjenjo

Fay Cat has been working on his trailer again. Axles are under it, and he is doing the floor now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I have been checking in for days but it has been awhile before I could remember my password. We are in New Jersey at my sister's house. Did a cousin get together {because of me, I'm the oldest}, Elis Island, Statue of Liberty, Botanical Garden in the Bronx and today the Jersey shore. I don't know what beach but it's to see a cousin's beach house. I hope it's near Wildwood so I can see if I can use it to see the "Race of the Gentlemen [?]" in early June this year I think. Tomarrow ,one day trip home then probably mow the lawn. GPster