What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I went to Dowling Steel today and picked up some square tubing. 47 cents a lb. I can't hardly use recycled steel at that price.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

George ...You really do have a neat neighbor ... 8)

I'm working off the Carpal Tunnel surgery , PT Dr. said no need to return as I have already surpassed what they expect after about 3 weeks of PT.. ( The surgery was 10 days ago).

I'm getting a spare engine ready to drop in the Olds , (The 350 from my old red pickup).
Nothing fancy, just a set of valve seals & a "rattle can" beautification...
I will just leave the hood closed at shows .... :idea:  :roll:

I can't wait to start the "autopsy" on the Olds engine to find out why it took me 2+ qts. of oil & a set of plugs to get to K-Zoo last year ... The engine only has about 36K  miles on it & should NOT be using oil like that ...The good news ???  
The cylinder that fouls the plug to the point that the electrode disappears has about 10% leakdown & is the worst cylinder in the engine ....  :shock:

This is going to be an "adventure" ..... :lol:  :lol:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I found out today that raised white letters on a tire go all the way to a sidewall. I know many of you already knew this. The selection of 15" tires is getting smaller all the time. I needed rears for the 32 and the ones I bought are rwl on 1 side. I was going to remove them. After a little work and some research, I see that black shoe polish maybe the best thing to fix my slight problem.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I mounted the new tires on the rear of the 32 today. My beadbreaker is manual operated. If I can figure out a way to make it hydraulic without becoming large or heavy, I'll be in good shape for this task. It would be nice to have a good tire shop locally but I don't expect that to happen. I've threatened to buy a machine but have no place to put it and don't want to own one anyway. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Got the Mustang buttoned up all except for the cowl panel (waiting to buff off the car) and quarter extensions (color not perfect). It went OK all things considered, although not without issues and took around 40 hrs to get back together. I had to thrash on that last day so much, I didn't stop for pics.

Why "thrash" so hard to finish? You're not gonna believe this, I have strange luck... see my 68 Camaro bodywork thread for the answer.

About the kid stuff daily driver 99 GTP- I finally managed to get set up with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the TorquePro app on an Android tablet. What that means is theres a touch screen computer hanging on my passenger visor wirelessly communicating with the engine computer. So I can set up a bewildering array of gauges on a custom "dashboard" screen and monitor just about anything.:idea:

A friend sent me a re-tuned engine computer and after monitoring the stocker for some time, I put the tuned PCM in. Its mounted in the air filter box on mine. Easy peasy.

Mostly its a transmission tune and fan control thing, but the tune is based off a "canned" level 1 buy the computer off a website kinda tune. He is not local but we plan to do an in-car tune later. Anyway, I love the modifications, mostly the altered shift times. :shock:  So I thought I'd tell you-all about it. I dig the car more now. If only I could freshen up my 455... that would be cooler but this is a nearly-free and peer pressure thing ha ha
:roll:
Matt

purplepickup

Spending the day with family for Easter. I'm blessed to have a family that celebrates more than just the easter bunny.
George

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "purplepickup"Spending the day with family for Easter. I'm blessed to have a family that celebrates more than just the easter bunny.

We are as well George , and we are also blessed with the same type of family ...  8)

Bob.... :wink:

kb426

I spent part of the day building a guitar reverb in a case from an old computer power supply.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Finally:  

first piece of firewall for Simca is fitted to where I am happy.  I say first piece:  which means the other 2 pieces  sucked.

With me working with  fresh steel sheet. Sheet Steel  Prices will go up with increased demand since I am soooooooo bad at this.

Another month:  I will be ready to weld the firewall in place. i hope
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

Crosley , if you would like to seal up the firewall around the forward roll cage tubes you can get rubber grommets from a trucking supply store . I got ones that were made for signal lights and installed them on the tubes before they were welded in . You would have to split them in your case but they will provide a good seal between the engine compartment and drivers compartment and give a nicely finished look . Firewalls can be a pain .

idrivejunk

KB, very cool.:)  8)

Crosley- even cooler.  :D  8)

Rinky-dink headlight adjusters ate my lunch today, but I thrashed past it ha ha. All done but cowl needs a buff yet. Far from perfect but vastly improved...

Matt

416Ford

Productive night last night.
Picked up my grill from the polishers. My buddy Vance came out last night to work on his car so we installed the tranny on the engine and stuffed the newly reworked engine back in the car.

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Canuck

Finally, bits and pieces are starting to go together.  The plan is to have it on the road this summer as long as nothing unexpected happens.  Won't have a finished interior and probably missing a couple of body trim pieces that have to be custom made.

The hard part is avoiding the impulse to just throw it together as quick as possible.

Anyhow, here are a couple of shots of the dash, finally all together.  All vintage SW gauges, vintage indicator lights, reworked heater (the defrost works great, lots of air flow), custom made stainless trim pieces and knobs, custom column drop.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

kb426

TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Nice dash Canuck.. 8)      Looks good ..
Now that I see how nice they look in an A I'm sorry that I let mine get away from me ...  :(

I kept a '34 standard to use instead....

Bob.... :wink: