New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have doors.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

No drip rails looks real cool  8)  Nice progress!
Matt

kb426

Really boring update. Color sanding in the driveway. Being really careful to not break through the clear.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Pitiful update. Pitiful pics. The rear fenders and most of the cab have been color sanded with 2000. Tomorrow will be a buffing day.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Why pitiful  :?:  All you got left to do is make shiney & then "wax on / wax off" .. 8)
 That means my fenders will be done that much sooner .. :idea:  8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

No pity for bodymans  :lol:  Prepare to be snowblind  8)

Thats a big bunch of work but think about that new old shiny improved truck, mmm. You're gonna get some cruising in after all. );b(
Matt

kb426

There's a tiny bit of hand work left and the cab is finished. This isn't show quality by any means but it's going to be as good as it gets. :) The fly is still freeloading on the top. I've buffed the fenders the 1st time but I couldn't see good enough to do the rest. The box will be coming in the shop to finish the buffing.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I gave the chassis a little bit of of a bath before proceeding. Moved the bed inside and buffed the fenders. Then picked it up and pushed the frame outside. Backed the 51 in and very carefully set the box back on. 3 days shy of a month, it looks kinda like it did!!! LOL
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Looks neat KB... 8)   Do you plan on pin striping or a graphic of some kind to break up the white  :?:
Can't wait to see the "reformed" front fenders in position...

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I'm still thinking about that. I can barely think about 1 subject at a time so when it's all back together, I'll explore options. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today's 1st task is completed. The pics show the adapter that was supposed to work with the airbag clock spring. :) The machined adapter and the new wheel. I may paint the adapter flat black to match the column.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Task no. 2 for today. I wanted something different than the Mustang latches I used. I did some investigating and found that there are lots of latch pins that were the same size as the Mustang's without any support. Because these doors aren't near as substantial as a Mustang convertible, I decided a single pin would be adequate. I made pins from 1/2" cold roll steel. The 1/4" plate was the support that was behind the Mustang latch I used. The 1/4" plate was machined for adjustment slots and the new pin welded in. There is flat black paint to keep it from rusting. The nuts on the back side were difficult to get in place so I welded them onto a plate that has a 90 bent on to it so I can hold it in place during assembly.  I've played with the doors for a while and I think this is good. There's no vibration or strange sounds when the door closes. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I just spent 2  1/2 hours with mis-matched parts and poor quality to make the horn button work. The horn button was made for the steering wheel but not the adapter. I figured out what was different from the 2 adapters  that was necessary to make this work. I made a spacer for under the wheel to hold the button in place. I used a pvc coupler from the hardware store. Machined the id on the lathe and cut some recesses for the tangs to go through to allow assembly after it was in place. The coupler was 74 cents. :) I put everything together and no horn. After trying repeatedly, I figured that one of the parts wasn't the right depth for contact upon pushing on the button. I removed the metal contact from the outside part and took a punch and drove it towards the contact direction. Reinstalled and I have a functional horn. FINALLY. :) It only has 1 moving part. How can this take so long?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I like your strikers. :)  A clockspring in a 50 model is counter- intutitive but I get it.  The steering wheel is cool. 8)

I dunno... what you're going through sounds easier than putting together parts that ARE supposed to fit can often be.  :roll:

You'll be able to stare at the truck and smile at the new goodies all winter long, and be satisfied without lifting a finger. :idea:  :arrow:
Matt

kb426

Thanks for the comments. :) Today's first task was to install the new tag bracket and plate holder. This is a Bob Drake unit that is widely used. I re-bent the tag bracket so the tag is perpendicular to the earth. The connections are heat shrink crimp style. I'm using a SAE 2 prong for a disconnect. The next task was to remove all the brackets around the radiator that weren't painted when the truck was put together for test fit. They will be finished and painted in the next couple of days.
TEAM SMART