New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

After an embarrassing amount of time today, I have painted both sides of the hinges white. The mounting surfaces were in epoxy primer and they rusted. Then the rust ran down the door jamb.  :(  I spent lots of time installing the new ac controller. There are some flanges on the inside of the dash panel that are left over from the original Ford design that were obstructing the 2 hold down clamps that are with the control unit. Took an hour instead of 5 minutes. :) Those of you that have fabulous memories will remember that the ac controls and vent used to be below the dash. Now everything is in the dash. The fan override switch will be moved to a panel to cover the area below the dash to clean everything up. Tomorrow I plan to finish the dash and get to the under dash panel.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Matt, the plan with the dash isn't going to be congruent with logic. I believe that the hood, dash and steering wheel are what we look at most so they need to be the best. The dash in my 32 was white and boring. When I painted it green, the sun would shine through the windows and it would sparkle. It made a huge amount of difference in how I enjoyed the long trips that I take. The 51's dash needed the same effect. Totally incongruent with the rest of the truck. After it's back together and driving, I'll report back on whether i accomplished my goal. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, the plan with the dash isn't going to be congruent with logic. I believe that the hood, dash and steering wheel are what we look at most so they need to be the best. The dash in my 32 was white and boring. When I painted it green, the sun would shine through the windows and it would sparkle. It made a huge amount of difference in how I enjoyed the long trips that I take. The 51's dash needed the same effect. Totally incongruent with the rest of the truck. After it's back together and driving, I'll report back on whether i accomplished my goal. :)

I totally get that.  8)  Dang the congruence... grin on face is what matters to us non-dragstrip users. You are going to enjoy watching the tree reflections whiz across that new improved hood too. Wish I had a dab of your motivation :!: Nice job and cool truck.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Moving the A/C controls & the other panel to the dash "breaks up" the massive "Sea of Green" that we first saw... 8)
It looks MUCH better now ..Will be even better with the instrument cluster installed ... :idea:
You SURE had us worried there for a moment ...... :lol:

Almost ready for my fenders  :?:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

This is for you that have been here a long time.
How about clecos and CAD?  :lol:
TEAM SMART

kb426

Bob, fenders? What fenders? You have fenders?????  :lol:
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Bob, fenders? What fenders? You have fenders?????  :lol:

I even have GOOD glass fenders so I know what the steel fenders are supposed to look like .... :?  :shock:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:

kb426

After way too many hours, I'm at a stopping point. The pics are before the steering column is in and then after. The after pic also was with the lights on but the camera didn't pic up the blue light from the inverter on the white face panel. I ordered the speedo with the blue light also. For those of you that remember, the speedo was hung from the dash and it's now sunk in the new gauge face panel. It's not perfect but I think unless I purchase an aftermarket gauge kit, this may be as good as I can get it. I ran out of ideas.  :(
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Like. You just made it a lot funner to ride in  );b(
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Looks neat KB ...  8)  If I am understanding correctly , the speedo face is supposed to look like the other gauges   :?:
That will look GREAT  :idea:
Those panels you installed take away the "in your face" harsh ,(IMO), expanse of green... :b-d:

Bob... :wink:

kb426

Thanks for the comments, guys. Bob, after the lights are turned on all the gauges have blue lighting similar to my wife's 12 Chrysler 300. If I had a clear vision of where this was going to end up 2 years ago, I would have ordered the speedo with a white face also. I didn't know they made a white face kit for the mustang panel back then. It's coming back out this morning. I have a better way to connect the rear panel to the dash then I have know. It should give it stability and take the tension off the clear cover. We'll see if this is a good idea or mindless ramblings at 4 am. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

The gauge cluster mounts have been redone. Way better. :) The next task for today was to change the throttle pedal. I moved it to the right about an inch. We all know an inch is important. :) Lunch is over, back to work.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Afternoon break. Slightly more progress.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Under dash panel on the right side. Covering the steering column will be a task.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I just spent hours putting the hinges and latch plates back on. Removing items that were never supposed to be removed is an exercise in patience. Moving forward, though. :)
TEAM SMART