New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Woops nope, I was looking at the wrong hood and flapping my gums about something I obviously haven't a clue about. Surfed up the wrong thing, but now I get that they are made of unobtanium. Arg. Any fresh thoughts on what to do? Need alternative repair method ideas? I think I need more pics to   :shock:  at.
Matt

kb426

I jumped of the elevator without a parachute today. I'm going to try again before I give up on this hood. 1 pic is of the panel that has been run through the roller. The other is the area I cut out of the hood. Tomorrow I will know if I wasted my time or not. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I think you'll be able to make that patch work much better.  :)

Looked back on the first attempt and all I can say is Go forth and make dots, KB! Will you use TIG this time also? I only tried it once so far and it takes a steadier hand than mine. :oops:
Matt

kb426

Matt, I haven't used anything but tig for better than 20 years. Now I'm old and can't see. :) I just ran out of argon but you can see some progress.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

That looks a LOT better than the first go-around did.  :D  

I would have a metal yardstick out there next to me so I could kinda gauge it in between welds when fully cooled. Almost looks like the outside edge is trying to draw inward a little. But if you straightedge it, you can catch that and correct it with a hammer as you go, much better than trying to get it all stitched up then grind and dolly it flat. Beats trying to 100% eyeball it in my book.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the hood is not supported as it would be hanging on the truck. On sawhorses it may be flexed a little just sitting there.

My eyes are acting their age too. Don't make it easier. Get some gas and make us proud. Looks like the panel fits perfect.
Matt

kb426

End of the day. There is a brace that the hinges and springs attaches to that isn't removable. Not being able to work properly over it causes grief! I have some shrinking to do and some hammer and dolly work but it's better than it was. The small patch is a rusty area that I had decided to forget. I never expected this to be bondo free but it won't have any deep spots. The whole hood and front fenders are going to need bondo from one end to the other.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I think that's OK to hand in to the teacher  8)  Nice day's work!  :D
Matt

kb426

Thank you. I sun was coming in and I see, those are poor pics!
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Looks good to me ... 8)   Are you ready for my A fenders  :?:  :?:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I made a t-bar to bolt to some of the hood hinge pins and clamp to the front of the hood to facilitate holding it while sanding. I hammer and dollied some more areas and am ready to start sanding again.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I spent a lot of today working on the hood. I hammered and dollied on the last repair some more. I put the hood on the truck for a test fit. The brace at the back is bent some and I don't think I can bend it without causing more problems. It makes the hood wide at the cowl at the bottom. I started to fill the side vents by bending the metal back flat. That proved to be a poor idea. I ended up cutting out both sides and making panels to fill the area. One is tacked in before I quit today.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I can think of two trucks where I solved the wide brace problem with tiny slices in the brace. Both got big print articles when done so I don't think anybody minds if you do it that way.
Matt

kb426

Matt, that is an option. I'm not sure what is bent yet. When I figure that out, then I'll have to get a plan of action.
Today's work was finishing the side started yesterday and doing the other side. All the holes are filled and I believe after one more test fit, I'm ready to start bondo.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

hurry up and finish the bondo , my T is waiting . Seriously I hope you didn't find the bondo in the trunk of the mustang  :P  :lol: . Nice work by the way !

idrivejunk

Looking good!  8)
Matt