New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Gee, Frank, it's a good thing I used that high quality Mustang wiring to connect it. That way it won't fall completely off. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Gee, Frank, it's a good thing I used that high quality Mustang wiring to connect it. That way it won't fall completely off. :)

Installed with more Mustang parts  :?:  Does it work  :?:  :?:

Wait ...It's only been a day or two ...... :roll:  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

KB have you thought about doing a headliner with the fiberglass resin over a sweater like enjenjo's post about doing speaker boxes ? You could spray glue it and cover with some type of cloth . You could also make it pop in and out with clips like on door panels . That way it would be easier to replace the mustang wires when they short out  :wink:

chimp koose

Sorry , I just had to say it , at least you didn't use the mustang dome light.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"Sorry , I just had to say it , at least you didn't use the mustang dome light.

Perhaps it didn't work "on arrival"  :?:  

WAIT ..  That was a convertible .... Maybe the dome light only worked during the day  :?:  :?:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:

348tripower

Quote from: "chimp koose"KB have you thought about doing a headliner with the fiberglass resin over a sweater like enjenjo's post about doing speaker boxes ? You could spray glue it and cover with some type of cloth . You could also make it pop in and out with clips like on door panels . That way it would be easier to replace the mustang wires when they short out  :wink:

High strength hook and loop :D
Don Colliau

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"KB have you thought about doing a headliner with the fiberglass resin over a sweater like enjenjo's post about doing speaker boxes ? You could spray glue it and cover with some type of cloth . You could also make it pop in and out with clips like on door panels . That way it would be easier to replace the mustang wires when they short out  :wink:

with large metal flake
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

You guys are GREAT!!! :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I have a few things to add. I kept having trouble with the Speedhut speedo going crazy when you would hit a bump at real slow speed. I sent it back and they updated it. Same thing. I had the wiring going to it off 3 times and didn't find anything. I tied the harness up so the only way it could move was if the engine fell out. :) I emailed them a few weeks ago and they suggested that I send it in and they would change it to the gps version. I had nothing to lose so off it went. I was apprehensive because of signal drop outs. They suggest you install the receiver on the roof. Not going to happen. :) It's on the dash right next to the windshield in the middle. So far it's working. It has normal gps functions like time, altitude, max speed and it has 0-60 mph and 1/4 miles times. Driving off normal it says I ran 15.25 at 91.2 mph. The mph is about what I would expect from my 260hp. engine. I'd like to think it will run 14's with some effort and traction.  This morning as I was going across town and running through a dip, this awful noise occurred. I looked in the mirror and saw something bounce off the pavement. I stopped and found a 4" piece of 3/4" tubing. I was puzzled for a bit and then guessed that it might be a swaybar link. When I got back to the shop I found a broken link. The first pic is of the manufactuer supplied all thread. It was run inside the 3/4" tubing as a spacer. The next pic is 2 3/4" bolts that I cut off and bored and threaded for replacements. It's all back together so we'll see if I improved it or there is still a problem lurking. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

It almost looks like the bar went 'over-center" & over stressed the link ..  :?:
Most 80'-90's GM 4X4 trucks do that often but somehow the bolts don't break .. They get installed straight, but one good trip around the block & they return  with the bolt bent at a 45* angle at the bar connection.. :?  
They then stay in that position & rust until they match everything else on the front of the truck requiring removal with a saws-all..... :evil:
I started using long grade 8 bolts in mine a long time ago....They seem to hold up well ...  :idea:

Was that a Mustang "replacement part"  :?:   Do you think that word might be spreading  :?:

Bob.. :wink:

Charlie Chops 1940

Sway bar links...I buy the least expensive ones I can find with nice washers and poly bushings and throw the bolts and tubes in a box and make my own to length with grade 8 bolts and 3/8 ID tubing. I eventually use some of the left overs.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

Bob, that was the manufacturer supplied toilet flush valve handle , I think. :)  Charlie, if they had used 3/8" id tubing, it might not have been able to bend and then break. I'm not willing to try that again and see if that is a correct theory. I believe your use of the links would be a good way to go. Without the spacer, it should be free to pivot how ever needed. I have no idea what the logic was for the supplied parts. I took my wife to lunch today 50 miles away. It was her first real ride in it. When we got home, I asked if it passed the test. She said "absolutely". It has so many more creature comforts than the 32 that this is a real deal. So once again: it's the wife's hotrod! :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

New tail pipes. These are under the axle. I was going to paint them but couldn't find any high temp metalflake. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteNew tail pipes. These are under the axle. I was going to paint them but couldn't find any high temp metalflake. Smile

Paint them wit Eastwood high temp nickle, and sprinkle glitter on them. :twisted:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

You think that will make Chimp Koose happy?   :lol:
TEAM SMART