New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

The first pic is of a flare union in the return line. I found an area where a bend had collapsed for some reason around the center crossmember. I removed that and spliced in some replacement tubing. That lowered the fuel pressure to 48 lbs. I got to measuring the unions and found that they were smaller than the id of the line which is 3/16". I bored each union on the lathe to 3/16". Then the gasket on the schrader end of my fuel gauge came apart so I don't know if I'm where I need to be yet. The bed strips are painted and in. Foot prints are free. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

This morning the brain engaged and I decided that the o-ring kit I have was the answer to the fuel pressure gauge. When I got home, I found an o-ring that was close to the size of the Schrader valve and tried it. Success! The fuel pressure problem has been fixed. I still have something going on but I haven't come to a conclusion as to what is causing it yet. I'll try not to be boring until I have the answer at which time I will post it. Note that I'm positive that I will find it. :)
TEAM SMART

348tripower

I just got done running the feed and return lines on my Hemi. I am also wondering about the unions I had to use. The ones I bought connect plastic to steel lines. The plastic side has a support that fits in the I.D. of the line so you can clamp the ferrule with the nut. This greatly reduces the I.D. I also found the original Hemi fuel rail line is 3/8 push to connect on the rail and 5/16 where it connects to maybe a filter/regulator on the other end? :shock:
I will have to see if I have enough volume of fuel.
Don Colliau

kb426

What I thought was a piece of hose in the fuel return line near the tank with factory connectors turned out to be a piece of plastic hose with rubber sleeve. It was kinked at both ends. I now have the correct fuel pressure and believe I have solved all the efi troubles.  :b-d:  :b-d:  :b-d:
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

If you have to splice the plastic fuel lines into anything, you can use DOT NTA compression air fittings for plastic lines. The liner sleeve is very thin, made of stainless, and works well. They don't make 5/16" DOT fittings, but my hardware store carries a brass sleeve that will fit in 5/16" plastic tubing, and will work.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Thanks for the tip, Frank. That line was 8mm. I had 15" of that expensive efi hose left over from the 32 that I found last weekend when I was cleaning up. That turned out to be an easy repair. It sure wasn't easy to find. :) I went for a ride and most things are gone. There is something going on with the constant control relay module when the fan comes on. That's about the last thing that hasn't been replaced from the Mustang. I'm going to do some diagnostic work before buying one. I want to be sure I didn't do something wrong. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

This is a short video that I took with the window down and me operating the camera. The last of it is no hands on the wheel.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Because I still haven't made the decision as to what color to paint this, I painted the running boards the Bullitt green so I can look at it for awhile to form an opinion. The rear fenders are off now for more dent removal. They're so rough that I don't have a good plan as to where to start. I guess I'll start in one corner and more around in one direction with the hammer and dolly until I think it's as good as I can get it. Then I'll coat the whole fender with plastic and keep going.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Thanks for the video and for all the great updates. The motor sounds healthy, it put a smile on my face.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

This morning I got started early. I'm sure someone appreciated the noise. :) I spent 5 hours doing hammer and dolly work. I'm not good enough to make it good but now the plastic will be thin. I rolled the openings for the tail lights and fuel filler hole. I blasted them one more time and hit it with the da. I'm ready to weld in the panels where the running boards bolt on and then it's time for bondo.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"This morning I got started early. I'm sure someone appreciated the noise. :) I spent 5 hours doing hammer and dolly work.
QuoteI'm not good enough to make it good
but now the plastic will be thin. I rolled the openings for the tail lights and fuel filler hole. I blasted them one more time and hit it with the da. I'm ready to weld in the panels where the running boards bolt on and then it's time for bondo.

My fenders will be arriving by you shortly ..... 8)  

Do you have your own sandblasting setup on site ??  Back yard , etc ???  

Bob .. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I use the driveway and clean up the mess afterward. It's a necessary evil to doing your own work when nobody within 200 miles offers the service.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Two more repair panels in. I'm tired of rusty metal.  :(
TEAM SMART

kb426

Threw them in the vat one more time and epoxy primed.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I spent all day working on the rear fenders. I'm on the second coat of plastic. This isn't fun.
TEAM SMART