New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Another day working on bed sides. I capped the front of the bedrail and radiused the rear. None of this was good enough to metal finish. With the spot welds and cracks I welded up, there will be bondo work.
TEAM SMART

kb426

TEAM SMART

jaybee

This is the hard part for sure. As beat as a typical old truck is, the bed takes the worst of it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

papastoyss

Quote from: "kb426"" It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." For those of you that have read Tale of two cities, you maybe wondering where this is going.  :D Because I have no memory, I can't remember which person had left the post about his I believe 40 Ford that got an award last year that had mentioned a painter telling him what to purchase to make sure his car was straight before paint. My apologizes for not remembering your name.     :oops: I bought Durablock sanding blocks last year. I'm now hand sanding just like when I was 16 years old. It is the best way that I know of to make panels straight. The airfile and da aren't as good as the blocks. I spent almost 2 hours on 1 rear fender this evening. it's better than using the airfile. Progress slow but sure!  :lol:
If it was me, the product in question is 3M Dry Guide Coat.It's a finely ground black powder you apply w/the furnished applicator sponge, being dry you don't have to wait for it to dry & it doesn't load up your sandpaper like rattle can black paint.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

papastoyss, I bought some of that. I wasn't close enough to need it yet.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

kb426

3 of 3 . I'm done blasting for the day. 6 hours start to finish.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Mission accomplished. Primer applied.
TEAM SMART

416Ford

If you keep up this pace you will be done with the body work by the end of the month. :) That the hardest part of the project in my opinion.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

After 2 applications of high build primer, most of the scratches are filled. Slow going.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I worked on the bed sides all week after work. I have them in primer again but I can see they need more work.I'm pretty sure I used to be faster at this. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have some color! The good news is that the bugs didn't arrive until after I finished. It will have to be sanded and buffed so the bugs are not a problem.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I was wrong. The bugs didn't sand out. Another repaint is on the way.  :(
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I was wrong. The bugs didn't sand out. Another repaint is on the way.  :(

Gee KB .. That's the wrong way to achieve that "Hard Shell Finish"..   :P  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

The PPG magazine for jobbers is called " The Repaint Reporter". I told the guys at the parts store that they may have my pic in next months issue!  :lol:  :lol:
TEAM SMART

kb426

Fenders without insects. Orange peel will be dealt with later.

orange
TEAM SMART