New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Thanks for the comments, guys. Trust me when I say I really value the comments from this forum. Old guys that have built many things and haven't let life defeat them but has made them better are most appreciated. :) I had a thought about building a cover and having it shaped so it could have some airbrushing to look like a flathead or something cool but I don't like phony very much. I'm the guy that has the real blower, not the one with the carb inside. Clean and neat will be my goal. That may change as it will be a while before all this gets finished. It seems to take a long time to make a decision anymore. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I don't know about you, but in my experience I make better decisions if I don't jump in until I feel confident it's right. Sometimes that's right away, sometimes it takes a while.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

348tripower

I like the engine cover idea. I'm also with Ugly Olds on the closed hood. :lol:
Unless somebody twists my arm really hard the lid stays closed on the COE. Just last night at a cruise in one of those guys that bleed MOPAR just had to see under the lid. SUPRISE a CHEVY!  :shock: I told him I knew he was a Mopar guy just by his smell. :)
Don Colliau

Bruce Dorsi

Just tell everyone that is the original engine from the factory and you didn't want to disturb the patina!

You don't have to tell them that it was original to a late Mustang!

Those in the know, will chuckle.  ....Those who aren't will be impressed!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

I've been following along on this adventure and am impressed with the work you have done to this point. I also like the reliability and performance of the modern drive lines but also don't like the fact that they look like a train wreck under the hood......I am looking forward to the solution you come up with and am sure it will look great.......Keep up the good work!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

kb426

I worked on the efi system today. I had a cel so I started doing diagnostics. After eliminating the most obvious that checked to be within the operating voltage ranges, I ended up swapping out the injectors. I have 3 sets of 19 lb. units. I have a set from an explorer that had about 70,000 miles on them. I removed the egr valve that had been disabled. I put a plate on to make sure there wasn't a vacuum leak. I've driven through several heat cycles. No light, yet. I'm not positive that it's all correct but I'm gaining.
I trimmed up the air filter housing and scrubbed on the inlet tube for a while. It's cleaner than it was. :) If the injectors prove to be the problem, we can chalk one more up for the mustang donor.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Bob, I've thought about this some. The pic I posted shows a little of how wide the front end is. A standard 1/2 ton fender would have clearance issues. My thought has been to close up the front and rear and maintain the clearance from the top. To do that and not turn it into a clown car will be the deal. As an example, most have seen a 50 Dodge pickup and looked at the rear fenders and said, how lackluster. I've seen several with 56 Ford rear fenders and it transformed the truck entirely. So if I can come up with a design that makes you think it belongs there, then it will happen.

Hey KB ...
I been chewin' on this fender thing some ...

How about closing the opening up similar to this Chevy ??

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/PCarps/August%202014/NSRAdsc_6736_zps9c3b482e.jpg
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

This is a cutout of the rear fender. The weather isn't cooperating for outside pics so this is just stuck on to give everyone an idea of where this can go. At the bottom of the cardboard front and rear, there would be around 3" to add. Bob, the chevy is headed in the right direction. Close to the tire but not covering so there is no interference.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I think I'm about 30 hours from being finished on the abs for the headliner. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

This is the stopping point until I get more velcro. When it arrives, there will be more trimming. I'm searching for the dome light to go on the original mount and look like it belongs there.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I wasn't satisfied with all the numbers from the scanner in live feed on the efi. I replaced all the sensors and now the numbers look better. I don't know that I have everything 100% but I'm optimistic.  The velcro I ordered arrived and the headliner is stuck down in the loose areas. I installed weather stripping under the bed floor panels. I'm expecting no rattles when I finish. I painted the 2 panels from the bed floor and the shift lever this afternoon. The 2 divider strips for the floor are left. I didn't think I had enough time to prep them before it got too cool to paint. The weather forecast says that I shouldn't have to worry about that after tomorrow. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

In the spirit of spending too much time to do something, I used a leftover 7075 t6 motorplate from the top fuel car to make a mounting ring for a shifter boot. This is 1/4" alum that I machined in the lathe to the desired outer and inner dimensions. I put it in the mill and used a radius cutter to profile the inner and outer edges. I bored and countersunk the mounting holes. I dug out the sewing machine that hasn't been used for months and tried to remember how to use it. :) I used some left over black vinyl for the boot. I went out to make a video of driving it. It was too shaky  so I went out to do better. The fabulous mustang donor bit me again. I now need an alternator. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

The shift boot & ring look neat ...  8)

Do you have a list of the remaining "Mustang Parts" just in case ???

Yesterday I cleaned out a box of "left-overs" from the last donor vehicle that we stripped ..
 It was a '76 Mustang II we stripped in '87 to get a front end for the Kidd's Dodge .....

I remember having him strip the car to "learn" how cars went together.. :idea:

I DO need to visit the shop attic more often ... :oops:  :oops:  It's amazing what's up there ..  :roll:

Bob ... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, off of the top of the poor memory, I have the fuel tank and pump, steering column, power steering pump, cooling fan assembly, starter, hydroboost assembly, throttle pedal and cable, throttle body assembly, and the cruise control module which isn't connected yet. All the other parts have been replaced or modified. I suppose I should be prepared. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

The new alternator is on and I have 14.5 volts steady. The check engine light came on after driving around for about 15 minutes. I'm down to the last item to check. Fuel pressure. Holy cow! I have 70 and it should be 40. New regulator is about to be ordered. That will surely be the last time. :) As I was driving around yesterday, it was about 95 degrees. I had the ac on low and almost got cold. I wasn't doing 70 at 105 degrees but I have high hopes for that part.
TEAM SMART