New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I replaced the cracked passenger side window today. Then I went back to work on the rear fenders. It's almost 6 pm and they're starting to look like fenders. I intend to get them in primer still this weekend.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This is the "mobile fender relocation device." My plan was to get them into primer today but there were too many spots that needed more work.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Finally in primer. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Early this morning I finished sanding the fenders and put the 2nd coat of high build primer on.
So you have bent bed rails? You need the Tool Time bed whacker 5000! This is what I made to repair the bed rails.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

That looks similar to the tool I have here to straighten John Deere combine auger tubes. They bend a lot of them on trees. But mine is bigger.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rrumbler

We used a similar swage to true up lead sleeves we used in splicing underground power cables, only ours were made of hard maple, and a lot bigger..
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

kb426

How do you like my new flatbed?  :lol:
Box is all apart and ready to be repaired.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I've spent the day working on bed parts. The sides and tailgate were vatted. I worked on the stake pockets  and bed rails. There is welding to be done and then blasting. My plan was to sand with an 80 grit disc but it isn't going to be good enough. I'm aware that none of what I'm doing is cost effective.  :lol:  :lol:
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

Nice work on the fenders. I like the bed rail tool too. You are making good steady progress even though it seems some of the not so fun stuff is taking a long time.

Tom

kb426

A few months ago I had a discussion with a manufacturer of front end kits and the subject of rack and pinion units came up. He said all NAPA units are crap. Today I came home to a puddle in the drive. I might have 300 miles on this one. When I remove the front fenders, that will be changed out. Too cheap is just that. I would like it if manufactures would  at least offer better parts for there kits. Never is good to buy it twice.  :(
TEAM SMART

kb426

" It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." For those of you that have read Tale of two cities, you maybe wondering where this is going.  :D Because I have no memory, I can't remember which person had left the post about his I believe 40 Ford that got an award last year that had mentioned a painter telling him what to purchase to make sure his car was straight before paint. My apologizes for not remembering your name.     :oops: I bought Durablock sanding blocks last year. I'm now hand sanding just like when I was 16 years old. It is the best way that I know of to make panels straight. The airfile and da aren't as good as the blocks. I spent almost 2 hours on 1 rear fender this evening. it's better than using the airfile. Progress slow but sure!  :lol:
TEAM SMART

jaybee

95% prep, 5% actual painting...this is going to be nice.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

3rd application of primer. Stake packets filled one one side. Front end of bedrail capped. Most cracks welded up.
TEAM SMART

moose

My daughter trial fitting the Coupe on for size.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "moose"My daughter trial fitting the Coupe on for size.

Looks like HER car is well on it's way ...  8)

When do you get to start on YOURS... :?:  :?:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****