New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This is really lackluster. I got the throttle pedal installed and the wiring to the alternator changed so it charges. Only took 3 hours.:)
TEAM SMART

kb426

For those of you that appreciate first times! :)
TEAM SMART

416Ford

Way to go. Hope this one holds up longer then the last one.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

NEAT  :!:   An "Off-Road" Street Rod"   I LOVE it  :!:  
It sure sounds good ...  8)

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

416Ford, this engine is the complete opposite of the original. That Mustang had been abused from every way possible. The new engine fired instantly, sounds right, takes throttle well, had great oil pressure, other than the nipple being broken, I expect good things from it. When I was swapping the harness from engine to engine, I found that most of the clips on the connectors were broken. What kind of person breaks 8 and never figures out how they work? I really believe that the other engine seizing was a gift from the project god. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Thanks, Bob. I have to run over a curb with one wheel to do what I did. It sure doesn't have a leaf spring suspension. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today's project was a harness to go from coil pack to coil on plug. The anti-theft wiring I stripped out gave up some of it's life for this. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Let me preface this by stating that I'm not a 4.6 expert. I have some knowledge of the engine series. With my research, I have found more bottom end failures that anything else until you get to the Triton series. Today I removed the heads and front cover from the old engine. Those parts all looked very serviceable. There was minimal wear in the cylinders. No sign of oil consumption. The heads look fine. I didn't pull the pan to see how bad the bottom was. I hauled the shortblock to the scrap pile. I think it added to the statistic of bottom end failures.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

did those engines have the fractured rods , you know , the ones that were split with a press after finish machining and were supposedly non rebuildable ?

kb426

CK, that would be correct. I have read that there is an oversize rod bearing for these. I don't know if it's regularly used or not. The assembly for my 302 was a grand. Most for the 4.6 is 2 grand. They're just expensive to work on. I was happy to see nothing but orings on what I removed. No leaks is always good. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I worked on wiring today. About 80% of the firewall forward has been modified. The lights are hanging loose still. The master fuse panel and the relay module will be attached to the inner fenders after the front is installed. I removed the rest of the door lock and anti-theft from the rear harness. It's hung with adel clamps. Tomorrow I work under the dash and try to run everything through the firewall. I don't know if 1 day will be enough to do that.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I am amazed at what you do with wires...  I put a 1989 TBI chevy engine in a 1970 Chev truck yrs ago... with a book , I used the OEM wire harness.  I've done many things "once" & never again.  LOL

Looks good
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I decided to run the harness through the trans cover. I spent enough time filling holes on the firewall that I don't want to put any back unless it's absolutely necessary. The ecu is mounted on the right side firewall. I left enough clearance in the bracket to put insulation next to the firewall. The inside fuse panel will need a bracket to hold it under the dash on the left side. The coiled up wire in the middle is extra circuits from the maxi fuses and relays to be used with the ac and stereo. The wipers will be run from the inside fuse panel. It's the middle of the afternoon and I quit. I'm brain tired. :) Once the wiring is in the best place to work around the evaporator, I'll build a cover to seal all the wiring off from the engine bay.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This surely won't surprise some of you. I have redone the radiator hoses for the new engine so there isn't restrictions. I let it run long enough to find out that I have a problem with the cooling fan coming on and the speedo and the tach have problems. After doing some research, I see that it is common for a Mustang cluster to have a double speed tach and a speedo that shows nothing. The fan may not be related to the rest of the panel but I quit before investigating that. Aftermarket gauges are starting to look better. :) The Mustang donor hasn't proved to be as useful as anticipated.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This evening I installed the COP harness and removed the coil pack units. I noticed the right rear wheel had runout. I removed the wheel and found a bent axle. I never thought to check the axles while rebuilding the rear. Old parts are interesting. :)
TEAM SMART