New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Everything's ready to do the swap tomorrow. I wonder if I can turn a 2 hour job into all day? :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Everything's ready to do the swap tomorrow.
QuoteI wonder if I can turn a 2 hour job into all day? :)

I can stop by to help ...Together we could prolly stretch it out to 3 or 4 days  :idea:  :?:  

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

With my help, we won't even make it to the shop for a couple weeks.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'm taking a little break. I've been bent over changing out stuff on the bottom side on the heads and block. I found out that if you buy a $33 belt tensioner, you don't have to change front covers. You can guess how long it took to make that decision. Bob and Frank, I think having you 2 helping, we'd spend more time laughing and have a great day. Old guys seem to know how to enjoy life! Back to work.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Sounds like $33 well spent.

I would have spent a couple of hours struggling with something that should've almost fallen apart, watched it fall apart, and spent the $33 anyway.

The important part is the bleeding. No job is finished until blood is drawn.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"With my help, we won't even make it to the shop for a couple weeks.
The trouble with getting old is that you start to realize that you weren't as fast as you thought you were. GPster

416Ford

Quote from: "kb426"I found out that if you buy a $33 belt tensioner, you don't have to change front covers. You can guess how long it took to make that decision.

I am cheep. I would have swapped the cover out, bought new gasket @ $25.00 cracked the original cover, bought a new one for $110 and had it all done in two weeks.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Crosley.In.AZ

If me n enjenjo were there... it'd be a mess.

I firmly believe more than half the tool box must be emptied to have enough tools out & in the way.

Franks thinks they should be tossed on the ground first to save dropping them or the tools falling off the bench.  i agree with that!

So, the floor would be full of tools, nothing would get done since old guys dont want to trip, fall , break a hip joint.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Jaybee, I drew blood. Now the frame has some character on it. I'm 4 hours behind my estimate but better than a lot of days I've had in the last couple of years. :) One of the pics is of a heater hose nipple that was broken off when I got the engine. There was a red plug in it so I assume the salvage yard new it and didn't mention it. We'll have a discussion about that. I faced it off and tapped it for 3/8" pipe. One pic shows the clearance that I have for the oil filter now. The new engine didn't have the oil cooler that the old one had. 2 less lines and 2 less places to leak. I had to drill and tap the crossover on the intake manifold for the ect sensor for the ecu. There was a few other items but most were small. I've spent most of the day bent over. I'll be feeling that for awhile. Back to work.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I'm taking a little break. I've been bent over changing out stuff on the bottom side on the heads and block. I found out that if you buy a $33 belt tensioner, you don't have to change front covers. You can guess how long it took to make that decision. Bob and Frank, I think having you 2 helping, we'd spend more time laughing and have a great day.
QuoteOld guys seem to know how to enjoy life! Back to work.

Yessir ...That old Frank feller is ALWAYS  good for a good time .... :P  :lol:

Hey KB ..  Look at the bright side ... At least this engine had the correct exhaust manifolds ......  :idea:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

It's running and we have oil pressure. I'm having difficulties with the wiring. Ford uses 2 ground systems. I haven't got it all solved yet. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"It's running and we have oil pressure. I'm having difficulties with the wiring. Ford uses 2 ground systems. I haven't got it all solved yet. :)

watched the video.

looks like there is 300 feet of wire setting there!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I worked all day and got about 30 minutes of results accomplished. :) One pic is of the trans harness after it was changed from auto to manual. One is a pile of some circuits that I traced and removed. One is the rear harness in a semi- complete form. The throttle pedal hasn't been installed yet but it is able to move under it's own power now.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

On that heater hose fitting, you may want to remove the fitting you threaded into it, and reinstall it finger tight after coating the threads with epoxy, and let it set up. Using a tapered thread tends to crack the plastic after a short time from stress.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, I wondered about that. I coated it with silicone and didn't tighten it too much. I'm going to have to drain the antifreeze and change the hoses. The angle of both outlets on the engine were different enough that the hoses have some restriction in them. I'm going to wait until I connect the heater hoses to the heater.
TEAM SMART