New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Huh? is this a reality show build with a definite due date to be done?

I'd be pulling that V8 and tearing it down and rebuilding it. With all the fab work you've done so far I would think an engine rebuild would be an easy project add.  At worst a rebuilt shortblock and valve job.

Unless you are looking for an excuse to spend money and really want a newer Hemi.

kb426

GPster, those are all very valid considerations. I'm like you in selling so that hasn't been much of a concern. To not have dependability is a huge concern. After I bought the car and disassembled it, I realized the owner hadn't been honest about some of what he told me. I also found the remains of a SCT decal on a fender and the cable for a laptop connected to the obd port. At that point, I was concerned about what had been done to the car. Some of my friends have voiced their opinions about the engine choice in good fun. But I thought it was better to look at some options before going ahead. In the last 2 weeks, the price on crown vic 4.6's has gone done considerably. I know the crank is seized. You can't rotate it either direction. I can buy the newer engine and get a small warranty for far less money than almost anything I could do to the current engine. As I'm typing, the fluids are draining. I'm pulling the engine and giving it a quick look over. By the end of the weekend, I will know if there's any hope for it. I haven't lost sight of the original goal, it just got a little more expensive. :) I have to drive 100's of miles to car events so making sure that the engine is good is really important to me. The engine and trans are the only major items that haven't been rebuilt or are new in the drivetrain. I know that everytime you buy a used engine there is an element of risk. Buying from a company with a warranty and the fact that it came out of a family car lessons that some. And you are correct about me being tired of looking at fenders. :) Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate all that has been posted on this thread. Now it's back to work. Put the engine in, take the engine out. put the engine in, take the engine out. That must be my new exercise program. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

George, this is the logic for replacement. If I rebuild that engine I won't be satisfied unless it has everything done to it. The parts for these are pretty expensive. I would spend at least 2 grand and still have a 215 hp version. The newer Crown Vic version is the same as the 260 hp. Mustang version with a different exhaust and tuneup in the ecu. It will have the improved spark plug thread engagement and a different balancer that is supposed to control harmonics better to avoid oil pump gear fractures. If I buy an engine that is low mileage, I will tell myself that I don't need to mess with it. I enjoyed your comment about the reality show. :) I'm always in a hurry to get finished no matter what the subject matter is. This project has lasted longer than any other I have done.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Gee KB ...  You need to look at the positive side ...  :roll:   At least you need not worry about scratching the front fenders while changing the engine .. :idea:  AND ..All the bolts are easy to access & not rusty ... 8)

I agree that the later Crown Vic engines are better with more power .. Are they drilled for a pilot bearing  so you can keep your trans ???  PM me ...I have a contact close to you that has New take-out engines available for reasonable pricing ....( With Warranty ) ...  

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, you have it figured out! The crank hole is the same on all the 6 bolt flange 4.6's as far as I can tell. I bought a 70,000 mile Grand Marquis engine for $422 last night. 90 day warranty and from a salvage yard company I've used before. Thank you very much for your offer.
TEAM SMART

GPster

Quote from: "kb426"90 day warranty                              
Will you be able to drive it in 90 days? Continuing the original idea only better. GPster

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"George, this is the logic for replacement. If I rebuild that engine I won't be satisfied unless it has everything done to it. The parts for these are pretty expensive. I would spend at least 2 grand and still have a 215 hp version. The newer Crown Vic version is the same as the 260 hp. Mustang version with a different exhaust and tuneup in the ecu. It will have the improved spark plug thread engagement and a different balancer that is supposed to control harmonics better to avoid oil pump gear fractures. If I buy an engine that is low mileage, I will tell myself that I don't need to mess with it. I enjoyed your comment about the reality show. :) I'm always in a hurry to get finished no matter what the subject matter is. This project has lasted longer than any other I have done.

Pardon my ignorance here..I really know nothing about these engines.
  Nor do I know cost wise what is involved in tearing one of these down.
  To me..doesn't seem like too big a deal to turn one of these into a cop engine.
  Maybe just some used cop car engine parts and some gaskets..

There are zillions of these "Police Interceptor" CV's up here.In use,taxis,people buy them at the auctions and drive them. I see them ALL the time. For sale too.
   I have heard the exhaust rumble and seen a few of them go..
  I think they have a lot more than 260 hp.

kb426

Bob, I fully intend to be driving before 90 days have passed. The rusty metal won't get painted until summer. I may eat doodoo on that but that is my plan. Arnold, the police version is the same as all the 4.6's you see listed as PI. That means power improved. The Mustangs got that in 1999 and I believe the four doors in 2001. The Mustang had the highest rating at 260 hp. The police version is 252. The only difference in all the newer ones is the exhaust and the tune in the ecu. The police tune is very close to the Mustang. The crown vic and Grand Marquis have a milder timing curve and the fuel parameters have been changed.
Today's task after cleaning up the mess from the engine removal was to pull the pedal assembly and modify the mounts. There are 4   .5" risers that protrude towards the firewall that I believe were to provide spacing for firewall insulation. The master cylinder rod attached to the hydroboost is non-adjustable. In order to equalize the clutch and brake pedal heights, I removed .350" of those risers,now the pedals are very close to each other. I double walled the firewall in that area for stiffness for the pedals and didn't realize there wasn't any adjustment on the brake rod.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Seems you have it figured out on the engines and a plan.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Tony, by using the newer 4.6, I have components that are all factory designed for the power level that the engine produces. The 260 hp. should be satisfactory with the 5 speed and I'm estimating at 3500 lbs. I think I'm done with surprises. I know that the wiring and ecu will let it run so after I get the engine installed I can resume removing wiring circuits that I don't need. It won't ever be as clean as an after market harness but it will be better than when I started. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

We've had a little Indian summer the last 2 days. Today while it was 82 degrees, I vatted the bed floor panels and epoxy primed both sides and painted one side. I'm still thinking of using bed liner but I'm going to think about the budget before that decision is made. You can see I had a spectator in one pic. Doesn't he know it's February? :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today's boring task. The hood had been ground on where the lead was and it was really thin. The brace underneath is bent and I'm going to have to make a jig to straighten it.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

KB ... How do you control the warpage welding a panel into a low crown area like that ???     Also ...Do you Tig or Mig ???

Thanks ...
 Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I tig everything. I spotted every 2", then 1", then 1/2" and there is still some warpage. I believe because the area had been repaired once before that the warpage was worse than I expected. The reason there was 2 pieces of metal used was that I was using up the last of the .035" metal I had. The fenders are all .047" or there abouts. The hood was thinner which I hadn't been aware of until I cut it and measured it.
TEAM SMART

kb426

The replacement engine was delivered today. There was a large cardboard box hiding the contents. There was no visible damage to the box. After removing the box I found that they used a pallet that didn't fit the engine at all. The oil pressure sender was broken and there was a thick oil over the front of the engine and in the valley. After I removed it from the pallet I gave it a solvent bath. Something strange blew off the intake. It appears to be leftover rib bones. They were large for chicken bones. Nice of someone to leave his lunch mess for me to clean up. After cleaning up the mess, the engine looks to be sealed up well. There's no sign of an oil leak on the pan or seals. I put a socket on the crank and it turns over so that's how far I got today. This weekend there will be lots of items to changeover.
TEAM SMART