New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Quote from: "kb426"Old parts are interesting. :)

Ain't it the truth?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

UGLY OLDS

QuoteOld parts are interesting.

Are you trying to say perhaps the Mustang was "Rode Hard & Put Up Wet" one too may times ????

Bob ...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, shot in the rear and left to die would be more accurate. :)
I had 2 gas filler necks, one from the mustang and one from a 83 tbird that was a donor for a 53 chevy pickup years ago. The bends on the tbird one suited my goal better. It had the rubber hose inside as Frank had posted a pic of. I cut a few degrees out of a bend and connected it with gas hose. I now have a hole in the rear fender so I can put fuel in without removing a fender. :) I'm pretty sure I cut a part of the mustang's quarter panel out to have the recess for the filler door. I haven't found it yet. I drilled the left side of the intake for the second coolant sensor. After doing some research, I wasn't confident that the one in the block in the new engine would replicate the readings necessary to run everything needed for the ecu. I started working on the bed floor before I quit. At least it's not cold now.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Pic of the bed floor. I'm going to use .125 x 2" strap in between the strips. I took a short drive. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I like your choice of bed floor. It's different and is appropriate for your Pro Touring vibe.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Today the wiring for all the lights on the rear was finished. I made 32" extensions to run the harness' out to the fenders. The wiring for the wipers is completed. I couldn't make the turn signal  control run both speeds on the wipers. The broken electronic control is what makes the factory wipers have 2 speeds and the interval wiper functions.  It was high or nothing so I used the switch that came with the Newport kit. I had to make some connectors for the backup switch on the trans. The new axle is installed in the rear. I'm going to let it sit over night before I fill the rear.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I'm done with the bed floor until the decision on how to finish it is made. I'm not thrilled with the battery access panel but I haven't had a better idea. It is split under the unpainted divider strip. I wanted to be able to remove the battery with out removing the strip but I didn't want the strip to be multi piece. I filled the rear end up and gave it a test spin. The axle run out is gone. I put the old axle in the lathe and checked it. .018 run out. I'll probably cut the flange off and use it for a punch or pry bar. I'm taking a break but I'm not sure I'm going back to work. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Gratuitous drive way shot for those that aren't watching basketball. :) I'm going to raise up the rear. You can't get a tire off without raising up the body. Because I want this to be a dependable driver, I think that needs to be addressed.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I would put that axle back in the lathe and face off the .018 . then you have a spare.

UGLY OLDS

KB ...It's lookin' GOOD !!  I like it ..

It's shame but I agree, the rear end needs to come up some for a dependable driver ... I remember years ago at K-Zoo , we helped a couple of Canadian guys change a flat tire on a Pro-Street Desoto..  SUPER neat car , but we had to drop the rear axle from the suspension for clearance to get the tire off & on ...  Nice looking ..Not very practical ...

Everyone laugh's at me because I carry a full size "Mini-Spare" ..   They would prolly laugh harder if they knew that before one of my cars hits the road, I deflate one Front & one Rear tire in the garage ... I then install the spare using ONLY what's in the car ....  :idea:

I feel it's better to figure it out there than on the side of the road ..... :lol:

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

TEAM SMART

chimp koose

My Anglia was like that for rear tire removal . I actually had to remove the back bolts from the wheel cyl. to get the top 4link  bolts out to drop the rear end and remove a tire.

kb426

I had a short conversation with the Vintage Air tech department today. After talking to him, I ordered a new ac compressor. I was planning on using the compressor from the Mustang. For those of you that have followed this thread, you know my used parts success % is pretty low. Rather than take a chance and loose all the new parts, I ordered the pump. Just a little more money. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

The new compressor was installed today. I spent hours trouble shooting the factory relay module that runs the ecu, fuel pump, two speed fan and the ac. I have narrowed it down to ecu or the project devil is hurting me. :) I had to order spring lock fittings for the compressor. I thought the local shop had them. Miscommunication between them and me.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today I have the horn mounted and wired. When I removed the anti theft, I broke the circuit. I now have inside door handles. I used the Mustang hardware. I will have to make some surrounds to cover up the mechanism. The handles will get painted flat black when the interior gets finished. I cut off the coil pack mount of the left side of the engine. I kept the part that mounts the power steering reservoir.
TEAM SMART