New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'm taking a break. I've been bent over sideways for a little too long. :) Light switch is mounted. Fuse panel is hung. Progress on the rest of the inside harness. All the coiled wires are extra feeds that I believe I will need to finish the ac, stereo, windows, dome light, and whatever else I have forgot.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Laying under the dashboard takes it out of a body, doesn't it? My weight has been up and down over the last 10 years and when it was up it got really hard to be curled up in those awkward positions.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Towards the end of yesterday, I started working on headlight wiring. The mustang had been messed with some and I was converting to halogen sealed beams to retain the look of the 49 front end I'm using. I didn't end up with the desired results. This evening I disassembled the steering column. My multi function switch might be referred to as no function. I ordered a new one. One more mustang failure. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Jeez that mustang has been stingy with useable parts . I hope your door handles don't strip out !

kb426

Today we have some ac hoses. We also have the engine cooling fan operating. The pic will show that space was a problem. If I would have had tubing of the correct sizes, I would have relocated the compressor outlets. It still would have been close.
TEAM SMART

kb426

The last part of the cooling fan circuit was solved tonight. I wanted to have a manual override to turn on the fan for "parade mode" as it has been referred to. That circuit has been isolated and test connected with the desired results. I hope this isn't the only accomplishment for the upcoming weekend. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I loomed up the headlight wiring, removed the coil pack to cop connectors and replaced them with weatherpak. The underhood wiring is as good as it will be unless I decide it needs to be dressed up somehow. I have the evaporator connected to the compressor pulling vacuum checking my manifold mod for leaks. So far, so good.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This is today's task. I'm pretty sure these mustang parts are going to work. :) I'm thinking about welding small rod around the openings to give it a finished look. I'm thinking of using some black rubber in between the metal and the lenses for an interface. This will provide tail, turn, stop and backup lights.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

It looks like they fit pretty good.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, I think I got lucky for a change. The brackets to hold them in place have slotted holes to line them up. That took a little time to figure that out. The left is on the right and vice versa. I'm not done tonight but I don't think it will take too long tomorrow to finish them up.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today the tail lights were finished up. I put the front end on but it needs work. This is a 3/4 ton fender unit. The openings are larger than 1/2 ton. One fender appears to be longer than the other. I'm going to need to do more measuring to be sure of what's not correct. The air filter is going to be relocated but I haven't thought about it's destination yet. I put my tag on and drove it to the gas station and put a few gallons in. I modified the original front marker lights for a 2 filament bulb. The old gaskets for the cover fell out in pieces. I'm about to get enough of a list of oem parts to place what could be the last order. :) I raised up the rear about an 1.25". Now I can get a tire back on the axle without raising the body. :) I had the rear wheels off so I could work inside the fenders to mount the tail lights. The ridetech shocks have real nice machine work and adjusting them was easy. If you ever looked inside a 51 Ford pickup rear fender, you know how much room there was. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

KB...How much of an "adventure" would it be to close up the front fender wheel openings to match the rear ???

Maybe install a wheel opening from another fender like a
big "patch panel"   :idea:

The rest of the front fenders  look pretty good ...  

Bob ... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I've thought about this some. The pic I posted shows a little of how wide the front end is. A standard 1/2 ton fender would have clearance issues. My thought has been to close up the front and rear and maintain the clearance from the top. To do that and not turn it into a clown car will be the deal. As an example, most have seen a 50 Dodge pickup and looked at the rear fenders and said, how lackluster. I've seen several with 56 Ford rear fenders and it transformed the truck entirely. So if I can come up with a design that makes you think it belongs there, then it will happen.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I think if you closed up the front of the fender and left the back alone it might work. I would try closing it up with a similar contour to the rear of the fender but don't go as low .maybe add to the front but don't make the bottom any lower than it already is.

chimp koose

picture how it would look from the side if the drivers rear fender was put on pass side front .I think that sums up what I meant to say in my last post.