New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Another minor update. A few weeks ago, I found out that my front end will only work with 4" backspace wheels. That took the Mustang wheels out of the pic. After doing a lot of research and finding nothing that I was happy with, I bought a pair of torque thrust d's. The color doesn't match so that will have to be addressed later on. I mounted tires and aligned the front end. The left side exhaust manifold had a metric thread for the heat riser that I had nothing to match to. I threaded it to 1/2" pipe and will weld a bushing to the flare adapter. The exhaust pipes are back on and the front hangers roughed in. The trans has oil and the driveshaft is in. I installed the starter and connected the fuel lines also. I have enough parts that will have to be adjusted somehow that all the body will have to be assembled and removed for paint. I plan on driving it some before disassembly. I want all of that done before it cools down alot. Painting may have to wait until spring. My rate of progress isn't as good as I had hoped. If I speed up, I'll try to get it painted before it gets cold.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Nice looking chassis, that'll make an excellent foundation for your truck.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

I got a little more done today. I spent an hour this morning throwing away stuff that I might need tomorrow but I couldn't stand the mess. I sanded the bed frame and primered and painted it the same gray as the chassis. The fenders are fresh from the engine vat. Aren't they jewels. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Taking a break. I shot rust encapsulator on the floor of the cab. I don't know that I believe in the product but I had it left over from another project and didn't want to blast the underside. I welded up the short seams on the cowl and top. I'm tempted to weld the long seam on the back of the cab. Does anybody have any thoughts about that?
TEAM SMART

kb426

I blasted the firewall and dash to remove the rust from sitting outside the last couple of months.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Firewall is painted to match the frame. The new to me box. It's way better than the one I have.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

For my money, I would seal the seams on the cab with urethane caulk. done right it will completely hide the seam, and no problems with warping.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, what brand do you use?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, what brand do you use?

If I can get it Sikaflex. Otherwise I use 3M.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

This update will really put you to sleep. :) I had to make new plates to bolt the door hinges to that fit in the cab. I removed as much of the original tar from the seams that I could without wasting huge amounts of time and put sealer back in. Break is almost over. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Trans tunnel and bare areas on the cab blasted and epoxy primed.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Another small update. Several hours spent drilling and removing hinge pins. The pic is of the body side bolted to the new plates made last week. The others are what I think is the last rust repair on the doors and cab. It took about 20 minutes to find the new hinge pins that I put up last fall. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote. It took about 20 minutes to find the new hinge pins that I put up last fall. :)
[/quote]

You put them right "there" so you would remember right where you put them & would not loose them ....Correct??   :P

Happens around here ALL the time ...  :oops:

Why not look into a "Lighter" color for the exterior  ??  It would be different ... 8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, your suggestion about color is the direction I'm headed. I lost the road map to get there at this point. :) I'm taking a break from doing body work on the doors and dash.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Welding some cracks in the doors and doing some body work.
TEAM SMART