New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I used to be embarrassed if it took to long to do simple things. Now I'm happy to be able to complete them. Both doors have latches and handles. The drivers' side has a key lock installed. It took way to long to do this. The long rod is what it took to make the key lock work.  I'm back to Mr. Bondo. I'm concerned that the warm weather is about to leave me. I'd like to get the inside of the cab and all jambs and glass areas painted before it gets to cool to paint. Weather has seldom been my friend. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Anyone that doesn't understand this maybe on the wrong forum. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

This is so you don't think I've been goofing off.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

It's looking good there KB.... What do you have planned for after lunch  :?:  :?:   :P

Why was the lock cylinder mounted soo low in the door  ?   Or did I miss a prior explanation  :?:  :roll:

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, to clear the window channel and it's mount, the actuator rod had to go almost to the back of the door. It's connected to the jamb side of the latch and then runs inside the mount for the window channel. I needed some length to allow the bends in the rod to work. The key latch protrudes far enough into the door that if it was very high, it would hit the glass with the window lowered. If I would have spent way more time, I might have been able to come up with a better plan. The idea god doesn't always know where I am. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

1st round of high build primer. I'm tired!
TEAM SMART

kb426

I just updated my daily log on the project spreadsheet. Today is 1 year and 3 months since I bought this. Man, am I ever slow! I haven't worked on this every evening like a lot of my projects but I'm a long way from completion.  I thought I'd be finished in a year. I must have been on fantasy island! :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Slow? You bought a shell,converted the suspension AND driveline . Adapted parts instead of using a kit on everything and you think progress is slow?You are making remarkable progress in my estimation and I look forward to the updates each time as the workmanship is always top notch.I have seen some cars that are built in a year and turned out great,they were drivers when the work began! I started on my T roughly 2 years ago and it is not a roller yet.

UGLY OLDS

I think that I hold the record for slow ... I bought my A sedan in 1980 ... I started gathering parts & started the build ....

My  updates ....
The body has not been off of the body cart for 22 years ..  :shock:

I did roll it from one side of the garage to the other & repacked everything back into it ..  ...Do I get points for that  :?:

The frame & chassis have been mocked up for at least 14 years ... :shock:

I am still not satisfied with the rear suspension & am still trying to perfect it ...  :oops:

Many parts for the tuned-port engine are now obsolete &  no longer available .  Almost all have gone through the "Close-Out" stage at Rock Auto ...  :roll:

Some day ..... :(U)

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Block sanding this evening. No pics. necessary. Block sanding is American for ( fill in the blank with as many 4 letter words as necessary). Time consuming !!!
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

It's looking pretty nice. Enjoy the block sanding.

Tom

papastoyss

Quote from: "kb426"Block sanding this evening. No pics. necessary. Block sanding is American for ( fill in the blank with as many 4 letter words as necessary). Time consuming !!!
Have you tried the 3M Dry Guide Coat product? The guy who does my paint work showed me this & a set of the foam sanding blocks that have removeable steel rods & that made  a big difference in my amatuer prep work.( Big head alert) Our '40 coupe is on page 84 of the current Street Scene!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

papastoyss, I'm familiar with the guidecoat. I haven't bought those blocks yet but I probably will before I'm done with this. Your car looked good in the mag.

Today's update is the 2nd application of h.b. primer.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I have disassembled the Mustang ac/heater unit. After looking at everything that would have to be moved, I decided that using it was more time than it's worth. The budget just went up $500 for whatever Vintage Air unit I decide on. I expected this so it's in the original estimate. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

You're right about the A/C unit. I've salvaged THREE from different vehicles and have yet to find any of them to be even close to fitting under the dash of an older car. Have to admit the Vintage Air people earn their money.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)