Mind Boggling 2

Started by enjenjo, February 15, 2004, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry@Graffiti

Magazine and book publisher for past 27 years. Publisher of Australian Street Rodding Magazine and quite a few hot rodding related books including those written by Choco. Love my work but there are never enough hours in the day. Currently doing a book on Australia's early hot rodding history which is absolutely fascinating - will probably have to do a third book to get it all documented properly. Just started a 36 Ford tudor project but haven't been able to get near it much lately. Married to Mary for past 33 years - 4 children (2 girls grown up and gone, 2 boys 18 and 13) one grandchild.Would love to retire soon but there are too many books I still want to do and too much happening in hot rodding at the moment. Live in Castlemaine - the Street Rod Centre of Australia which is a great place to live even if you aren't a hot rodder, but even better if you are. Will be at NSRA Nats and Bonneville again this year.

old32

Hi All, I'm a radiographer, been taking x-rays since I was 17 years old. I opened my own practice over ten years ago and now find I'm working harder and longer than ever.
In my "spare" time I manage the Victorian Hot Rod Show (an indoor static show) for the Victorian Hot Rod Association here in Australia, I've been involved with the show for about thirty five  years and have managed it for the last 20 years. See http://www.hotrod.com.au for some more info.
I drive a 32 Ford roadster that I have owned for the last 38 years which was registered in 1957, probably Australia's longest registered rod. Still doing things to it.
For the rest of my time I am restoring a 1887 Victorian house and gardens. (Wanted: help in pruning over two hundred roses).
I married with three grown kids, two of whom help with the show. Two sons puter programmers and my daughter an insurance broker, (she owns a mean 51 Studebaker 2 door sedan.)
:twisted:  :twisted: The Older I Get The Faster I Was :twisted:  :twisted:

elVago

Currently in semi-retirement. Started out pinstriping when I was 11 years old,did my first car when I was 13 and never looked back.Did a stint in the Navy(1964-67),toured the country for awhile afterwards(due to a failed marriage attempt)finally alighting in Massachusetts(my home state).Worked in a Corvette body shop for awhile,then a Mercedes-Benz dealer(first as a body man,then in parts and eventually as parts manager)for the benefits and still doing striping because I loved it.Married in 71 and managed to stumble thru that for 20 years.Had a son(and lost twins)and a herd of foster children(about 170 give or take)and wrote a book about it.Grew up with my grandparents and finally met my dad(and half-siblings)when I was 44.Got divorced and married my first true love(whom I had met in 65 while in the service)in 93.Been battling cancer for 2 1/2 years(and winning)now.Turned 60 a few weeks ago and enjoying every minute of it.Have a 1955 safari wagon I drive all the time(108K to date),a 1957 Safari(ex-race car)that hopefully will be out soon,a 25th Anniversary T/A that needs to be either sold or torched,a 1991 GMC Syclone that DEFINITELY needs to be torched.My bride has a 1972 Thunderbird(70K one owner AZ car)and our trusty GEO Tracker;oh yeah and our dog Muttley,along with our 3 kids(29,33,and36)and 2 grandkids(10 and 16).Hope I haven't forgotten anyone or anything;CRS ya know!
                                  Ray

1FATGMC

I just turned 60 a week ago, so now I'm with the elite group on this board.  I own a tourist store in the southeast part of Utah (  Purple Sage Trading Post  ) that somehow manages to do less sales each year, but still provides enough income to keep going.  I don't see retirement anytime soon, but Social Security is just 2 years away and that will help.  I don't really do much at the store now(4 to 5 hours a day), just read your guys and gals posts and deal with the occasional customer  :roll:.

I drive a '48 GMC pickup I bought in 76 and made into a rod in the '90's.

I used it to haul all the building materials for my house in Wyoming, so it is special to me.

As soon as I can finish building my house, a year and 8 month project at this point  ( A too long house construction project     ), I'll finish

a second teardrop I started and start working on a lakester for B'ville  that I have been collecting parts for from some of you and

at the same time will work on the '38 or '39 Ford pickup I dug up in the desert along with

building a small 5th wheel camper to pull behind the '38.

Look forward to seeing a lot of you again this summer at B'ville.  If you are in ever in my part of the country be sure and stop and visit.

c ya, Sum

himmelberg

I am a professional artist. To keep the wolf from the door I teach elementary fine arts.
Previously, a senior engineer at General Dynamics, advanced design.... F-16's and beyond. Before that, pattern maker and model builder.
Built hotrods as a young man... am rodding my '54 F-100.
Working with kids is great stuff... builds endurance, enthusiasm and energy. Fooling with the truck brings the balancing calm to all that other.

himmelberg

Jokester

I'm a Product Manager for Standard Motors.  I evaluate/initiate parts into the product line for the Wire and Cable Division.  Just moved to the Kansas City, Kansas area to begin this new phase of my life.  Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.

bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

ONE37TUDOR

I live in Austin Texas and will turn 56 in less than a month. I worked as a Utility construction manager for the City of Austin for 33 years, spent 4 in the good old US air force where I got to see some really exciting places like lovely downtown Sigon.
Raced late modle stock cars for 14 years then got away from cars and started woodworking but somehow about two years ago I drug up a 37 ford tudor body and started working on it - then hauled in a 46 Chevy pickup and started working on it - then got a 55 Chevy pickup and started working on it. As you can see I have a hard time focusing on one thing so as a result I may never finish anything? But what the hell I like it.
I an now retired but doing Construction Management on select projects.
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

HotRod John

I'm a senior manager at an engineering design and manufacturing firm that designs and builds automated assembly systems (robotics, fixtures and jigs) for the automotive and other manufacturers with process control requirements.  I used to own a hot rod parts shop called Hill Country Performance (9 years) but sold it in 1999 (2 full time jobs were taking all of the fun out of life and only one of them was putting money on the table).  Been into cars since I was old enough to fart.  Still have my first street rod (34 Plymouth acquired in 1974) and have more projects sitting around the house than I can hope to complete.  At 55, retirement is still a few years away, but I can still have fun today.

I am a General Contractor and have owned my own construction business for many years.We build mostly custom homes,an occasional commercial building and a little rental repair and remodeling.One of my Grandads owned an Auto Repair business and the other was a carpenter....I guess I will blame them for the path I travel.I have no plans to retire and instead try to spend as much time as I can doing the things I enjoy now.We also have a full time 7 year old and,after being empty nested for several years,we are quickly realizing that we now have another full time job...you know...swimming lessons,CCD,Soccer practice,Cub Scouts etc,etc.He is a great kid and we enjoy every minute of it!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

OlBuzzard

I've done lots of things in my life but retired as a junior high computer teacher--also taught at college and now teach old folks (my age) beginning computer classes at our county library.  I also taught 5th grade.  My wife and I bought our little retirement house built in 1916 and have been remodeling it for the last 5 years.  I enjoy cars, woodworking, traveling and reading.  As soon as I finish one more project on the house I plan to get back to work on my '36 Ford tudor humpback.  My workshop is 24 x 36 with one end for woodworking and the other for my street rod.  My wife and I are very active in our church.

tomslik

been an auto tech(mechanic) for 25 long-assed years and now looking for something to do when i grow up, maybe work in a candy factory in the shipping department.... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Gilles

At 15 years old to 17 I learned to fix cars in a technical high-school, but never worked on cars as a living. I did different jobs but at 31 decided to change and learn how to work on tool machines.

Now I work as a mechanic in a public research laboratory for 3 years. My work is to draw on a 3D software some parts an make them on a lathe or mill. Each new experiment is different than the previous so I have always news things to do.
It's not a very good paying but safe job because my employer is the government. I have the chance to work 35 hours a week and have 9 weeks of paid vacation every year.
This job let me plenty of free time to work on my projects, actually I just finished to restaure a 1966 renault 16 (the same my dad has when I was a little boy)  and now I started again on the roadster (which is running for 3 years) to replace the TH350 by a Th700, with the goal in mind to drop the gas expense.

One year ago I travelled to California for the second time (first in 1988) and visited everything street-rod relateds places as possible. Next summer I will go to england at the biggest car event in this country (3000 cars)
And think to go again to the states in 2005 if the dollar stay low as is it now!

:D Gilles  :D

rumrumm

I have been a university professor since 1984 (I am a director and a playwright), and have been working at Western Illinois University since 1989. I left teaching in 1997 and work in a non-teaching role for the College of Education. I no longer direct but I write almost everyday on plays and screenplays. And no, I haven't gotten rich yet!  I have been a car enthusiast since the seventh grade when a kid flunked into our class who had Hot Rod magazines.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

4T64RD

I work for the local school board, they call me a "Sr. Document Systems Operator". I think it means I work on computers.

When people ask, I'm a graphic artist.
http://www.poorboysflorida.com

New site!!!

Boycott IHOP!!! Buy American pancakes

40_Tudor

Tech Illustrator since about 1983, Graphic Design/Illustrator the last couple of jobs. Jet engine mechanic in the Navy, mechanic manager at a local private garage that has been in business since about 1950, while going to college and a couple of years after. I still help out there when someone is off. I've been laid off looking for a comparable position for a little over a year. Lots of job if I want to drive a couple of hundred miles or relocate. Been doing freelance jobs at home when I can find them. Worked at Rockwell on B1 bomber illustration and lots of other manufacturing and a research company. Last job was at a engineering consulting company that did front end analysis, logistic support analysis and tech manuals. All the managers where retired military officers. What a great place to work, not.  :wink:
If anyone knows of any tech illustrator work let me know. I've developed illustration and exploded views for AECMA, MIL, ATA and customer formats for service and installation manuals and SGML data modules.
My wife's been really sick for a while so it's a good thing I've been home.
I have a 40 Tudor I bought from a friend.  It was pretty ruff when I got it. Still needs a lot of TLC. I've installed a 3L TPI SBC with a T5 out of an Iroc. Doing bodywork and new floor now. Still need rad, wiring and a few other things before its running. Also helping a buddy build his 37 Chevy streetrod.