Mind Boggling 2

Started by enjenjo, February 15, 2004, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

well i'm still a newspaper pressman here in the phx area. i've been there for over 22 years and the longer i'm there the longer it seems. i've got a 53 chevy 2door sedan and a model A tudor sedan in the garage.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

jaybee

I'm in transportation management, all on the carrier side.  Over the last 15yrs I've been in vans, flatbeds, intermodal (piggyback & containers) refrigerated, brokerage, outsourced logistics, and probably dabbled in some other stuff that slips my mind at the moment.  About to start (2/16/04) a job supervising a customer service dept of 10-12 people at a trucking & warehousing company.  I always tell people you have to be a little nuts to enjoy this business and I must be a little nuts because I do enjoy it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Fast Elvis

Quote from: "unklian"I'm a Tool and Die Maker.

My kind and generous employer thought I deserved
to have more spare time,so I find myself Unemployed. :shock:
It's hard to argue with somone who can turn a $50+ Million a year company into a $25 Million a year company,in a growing market.

:D  Those types of employers call you  not unemployed or layed off but a liberated tool and die entrepreneur in a fluctuating market place.....wishing you better luck UnklIan.....F.E.

DRD57

I can't wait until I'm retarted....er....I mean retired. I don't have enough time to do everything now. When I'm not building cars, hanging out with my friends, or going to hot rod events, I work as a logistics manager for an office products manufacturer.

OldSub

I do data mining by day and dream of retirement by night.

In between I either write programs or play with my trucks.  Or sleep in front of the TV.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Sean

Union Sheetmetal Worker specializing in Custom Stainless and Aluminum Fabrication, mainly Restaurant and Food Manufacturing equipment. Also AWS Certified Welder for TIG and MIG.

Spent about Six years as a Mechanic straight out of Highschool, but got burnt out pretty quick. The stuff I learned in those six years has definitely been useful though. It was an old fashioned garage owned by an old Hot Rodder so most of what I learned was dated, even back then.

bowtietillidie

I am a 61 yr. old retired boilermaker certified pressure weldor. Retired two yrs now!   I spend my days now working in my shop . I work on any thing that I can get thru the doors.  Mostly hot rods and car projects that guys have run into trouble with . In the last couple years I have played  
with electronic feul injection.(after market=  Felpro/ Fast  /  Accel)  When
the shop starts to be a drag I play with 1/4 scale model air planes(WAR BIRDS) on the week ends. If the shop allows I would like to take in some  
car shows, cruise ins , swap meets this year.    Maybe I could meet some of the RRT group at these events.     AHHHHH yes life is great :D

BOWTIETILLIDIE
BOWTIETILLIDIE

purplepickup

My job is to procure prototype parts for a test and development engineering lab.  If an engineer can dream it up, I get it made.   I've done that for 16 years.  Before that I worked 21 years at Clark Equipment.  We made darn good forklift trucks from scratch.  We did everything....made the hydraulic cylinders, uprights, frames, sheet metal.  They couldn't compete with the foreign made forklifts so they went pretty much out of business.  I liked doing that and I like what I do now.  I want to retire but I'll prolly miss my job...it keeps me on my toes.

I've got a '31 Chevy pickup that's garage built on a budget but it's fun.  There's a '30 and a '31 chevy that are projects.
George

midnight sun

I am a retired Air Traffic Controller. I started in 1970 and retired this year.  

I am finishing up a shop and plan to work on street rods until I cant!!
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

MrMopar64

I own a small vending company now Was a truck driver for about 10 yr. before that run Ca,Nv, & Az.....
Spend my spare time working on the Sedan Delivery someday I hope to have it done also have a 64 plymouth fury chopped

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Bruce Dorsi

I worked 25+ years in my Dad's lawnmower shop, doing whatever was necessary.  
...I did sales, parts & equipment inventory control, pick-up & delivery, custodial duties (yup, even cleaned the crapper!), and my own favorite, REPAIRS.  
....We never asked an employee to do anything we hadn't done ourselves!

For 33 years (15 years concurrent with the mower shop) I have been  building, repairing, or modifying carwash equipment at my Dad's carwash.    

My Dad celebrated his 90th birthday last month. ....He never retired, and was very active in the everday routines of the carwash until his health declined shortly after his birthday.  
.....He always told me, "Come in early, stay late, work hard, work cheap, and I'll give you the business!"  
.....I'm not sure just HOW he meant that!    :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

choco

I'm a contract Technical Author, currently working for the Australian Federal Police, publishing on line technical and help documentation for the Fed's primary software management information system. I am also the network administrator for the application development team in the Feds IT section, administering a Sharepoint/Windows2003 server over the AFPs sub-domain.
After work, I write Technical Manuals dealing with Auto Electronics, Electronic Fuel Injection and Engine Management Systems for Hot Rods. I have had 3 books published by Graffiti (Larry@Graffiti), the latest of which is about to be released - the Electronic Engine Management Reference Manual.
I am building a 1936 Plymouth Coupe with an injected 360, my Wife has a 56 Crown Vic waiting for me to play with and my son has a 36 Plymouth sedan which is getting its top chop while he sources a big block Mopar for it.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Carps

Quote from: "Pep"I've seen a lot of changes in that time...I remember seeing the last morse code message being sent from the Sydney GPO around 1969..

Hey Pep, I've got one of the machines that did the same thing in the Melbourne Telegraph Office which was located in a bluestone building in Little Bourke St. behind the GPO and also closed around 1969.  It still works great although the wires are a little frayed and the battery is flat.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

I'm a professional 'Knowitall'. or as my job description calls it, a 'Smartarse'.

I'm expected to know everything there is to know, about everything my company does in order to ensure that everybody who needs to know anything, is taught everything they need to know.

To do that, I must become completely intimate with every detail of each product.  Thus I'm involved in some small way fom concept or inception thru the design, engineering and testing processes to manufacturing, marketing and and maintenance until the end of its life.  I also must have a very good knowledge of our competitors products and how they comapre with our own, thus I have to spend much time evaluating and comparing all of them.  Like Choco and others here, I too have authored and published a number of books on behalf of my employer and annually I produce volumes of printed, video and or multi media based material dealing with each product in detail.

My 'company vehicle' is usually provided by Boeing, although I often clock up a few hundred thousand ks each year at the wheel of various motor vehicles.

My job requires me to speak with authority and confidence to groups of people ranging from 30 to 500 at a time, a task I actually relish for some strange reason.  My strength is the ability to descibe each and every feature of any given product in detail, explaining in layman's terms what it is, what it does, and what that means to the end user.  I can also demonstrate & descibe how it's made and show you how to diagnose problems and repair it in the highly unlikely event something goes wrong with it.

Even tho my job can sometimes be very frustrating and it often keeps me away from home for extended periods, I'm nowhere near old enough to be considering retirement and even if I was, I can't imagine not getting up each morning and cursing the fact I have to be leaving for 'the office'.  Fact is, for a bloke like me, I really do have the best job in the world.  Sometimes I even have to pinch myself to make sure it's not a dream that I'm getting paid a large sum of money for having more fun than one can have without getting nekkid with a member of the opposite s*x.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

nzsimon

I own New Zealands largest and oldest company in the music business we used to make guitars and amps speakers etc we even used to assemble Fender guitars now we import everything I have 3 retail shops, 15 staff , an install division and mainly import and distribute everything you see on a stage including all the stuff you cant see www.jansen.co.nz and yes I probably can get something for you cheap

I am building a high tech 32 ford roadster with a 4l lexus engine and 8 throttle bodies independant stainless suspension all four corners in between working on the girlies Lotus Esprit turbo ( because it's british they're built to break down ) she is a famous nz artist www.kyliesmith.com

before all this I worked for the phone company for 20 years started digging holes and ended up in corporate sales till they got too hard to work for and I walked

I live in the best country in the world with 2 cats and a shed that is never big enough
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true