1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

hey,  those look like the computer  drawrings that Steve posted on another web site.

very nice
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

When are you picking up the 396 shortblock in my garage....it needs to go in the project your working on?

and what website were they on?

river1

Quote from: "Glen"and what website were they on?

Facebook

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

_Drewfus_

at the risk of being an 'echo' of sorts, great job, and great to see you tackling this big job, and exceeding.

firstly, a couple quick questions,

1.brace -  on your barwork around your helmet, in the top left rear corner you appear to have a 5/8" dia. brace running at 45 degrees, what is this for, and if it's for bracing then why not on the right hand side (when viewed from the drivers position)?

2. firewall - whilst I realise the firewall didn't need any more 'strength' as such, but other than 'time' is there a reason you didn't add and swaging or die-work? even for asthetic value? again, not that it matters (nor any of my business), but I figuire your a man of detail hence would expect that you'd have added it.

I like the stands, if I may add a suggestion, maybe get a pair made up that are 12" tall, just to assist with raising and lowering by yourself as whilst my circumstances are different to yours, I too have a couple sets of stands which are of great assistance, and used for a number of tasks, and found the smaller set to be a real assistance when 'juggling roles' and tasks by ones self.

Anyhow, again great work, appreciate your posting it for us to view.

Cheers,

drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

Glen

Quote from: "_Drewfus_"
1.brace -  
2. firewall
I like the stands, if I may add a suggestion, maybe get a pair made up that are 12" tall,

Thanks for the kind words.
1.  the brace is required by the rule book and when you stand back and look at the car you will see the same bar added on the other side near the passenger B pillar of the car, it ties the halo to the main hoop, you will also see these on the A pillar on the windshield side and the door side.  

2.  I didnt bead roll the firewall, i thought it had enough going on and may look a little over done if i ran a bead around it.  I also like to stay away from things everyone does.....If builders "always" run it one way...I like to find another way and in that case I decided not to bead roll them.

The short stands are a great idea....I had not thought about it but I will need them during final assembly when the car gets heavy.  Last week I just picked it up with two hoists.

_Drewfus_

thanks, hadn't seen the other braces, and your reasoning for the firewall detail makes sense, and can appreciate your decision.

Any more detail on the engine and turbo format?

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

kb426

Ya, how much horsepower is going into this? What is your et goal?
TEAM SMART

Glen

Quote from: "kb426"Ya, how much horsepower is going into this? What is your et goal?

I think it will take 1600 HP to get into the sevens and i want to be there without having to redo anything.  Steve Morris Racing engines in Michigan is working on the block.  565 CI, F3 Procharger, Brodix 383  Head Hunter CNC ported heads.  They tell me this will make 1600 easily and capable of 2000 HP with a different tune.

I wanted to run a crank driven procharger, but it would not clear the rack and pinion.  I will have to run it like this, belt driven and reverse rotation.

If any of you read about the drag week contest the black camaro ran a procharger with a blow thru carb on pump gas from track to track pulling his gear in a small trailer......and then ran a 7 every day.  

I decided against the turbo due to the turbo-lag and the goofy staging process, the procharger is instant and since i have a big tire it makes it even better it eliminated the crazy exhaust too.  

here is a video of one of their side mounted prochargers:
!

kb426

It's amazing to me that we have that level of hp and such a degree of drivability. If I would have had space under the hood of the 32, I'd had some kind of blower.
TEAM SMART

Glen

Not much going on.....I got tied up the last couple of weeks. I did weld the stands up, they should work very nice:

added an extra seat for the little lady:

a shifter:

and a battery cut off:

the motor should be here in about 7 weeks dyno tuned and ready to run, then I can start running the tubes to the intercooler.  The water to air intercooler, fuel tank and ice tank will be here in about a week.

UGLY OLDS

Beautiful work as always Glen.....  8)      BUT ......
We gotta talk about those "dangling" tail light wires ....... :shock:   Tacky Glen ...VERY tacky ..... :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It really is neat watching this car come together ......I like it .. );b(

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Charlie Chops 1940

Glen,

Up to your normal great stuff. I really like the stands. I see in one of the prior posts that you are working with Steve Morris here in Muskegon on your engine. I've known Steve casually for a number of years and admire his work. His shop is just 3 or 4 miles from my house.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Glen

yes, he seems like a gentlemen over the phone.  I might fly in for the last day of dyno tuning.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Glen"yes, he seems like a gentlemen over the phone.  I might fly in for the last day of dyno tuning.

Glen, let me know when that will be. If I'm not day caring the grandson that day I'll pick you up.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Glen

Finished up the passenger side floor and I am ready to mount the intercooler this weekend.  I plan to put it right in front of the passengers feet......luckily, Laura is not that tall

got the rear bumper mounted...I hate dzus fasteners.

here is the intercooler:

and this is the ice/water tank and the pump in the pic below it.

and the fuel tank