1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Some guys run a water cooled transmission pan...

route the return water from the inter cooler through the trans pan
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

One year ago today I drug this car home.......

I wanted to put the intercooler in the floor on the passenger side, but after I got the tubing and started measuring it, there was no way that was going to work without making some big nasty curves and cutting the dash up.

and I got the tanks mounted

If you are wondering what a procharger is here is an F3 135 Procharger.  the coke can fits in sideways, this is going in a friends  car.

_Drewfus_

wow....that is displacement....what sort of cfm does that push?

cranky * that car is going to be....real mean.

love it :wink:  :lol:

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

Glen

Yes, I know three weeks and no update....I have got my butt kicked on this trans tunnel.  But I think i finally have it whipped....the flange on the front is not welded on or shaped yet but you can see where im headed.  I wanted it completely removable for easy trans maintenance, you cant pull ithe transmission out from the bottom of the car because of the chassis.

Drewfus, i have never seen a displacement chart on those so i cant answer your question. The motor is nearing completion, it was a 5 week wait on the pistons.

The bolts down the center have a steel nutsert in the bottom half so there is not nut to lose

Glen

Stamp this part DONE......I cant believe how time consuming this was.

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good

I know who to ask for help with interior sheet metal if I get to that point
Tony

Glen

Finally....the pistons took five weeks to arrive after they were ordered.  Steve hopes to have it on the dyno by the first of the month

[/img]

enjenjo

Did you use Dzus bottons on the trans hump?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

Quote from: "enjenjo"Did you use Dzus bottons on the trans hump?

The center row of fasteners are 1/4-20 bolts and i will swap those to button heads....but yes:

the rear tail section has dzus fasteners that connect it to the tunnel.
there are three down each side that attach it to the main frame rails
there are 5 of them around the firewall that secure it tight to the firewall.

_Drewfus_

Quote from: "Glen"Finally....the pistons took five weeks to arrive after they were ordered.

Ok, from that I take it that they were 'very' special order, hence....what size and compression are they?

Sorry for the thousand questions, but really enjoying the detail, and not something I get to see much of.

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

rog

Are the pistons ceramic coated? interior looks great  :D

Crosley.In.AZ

i see coated pistons, special block, special rods, O-ring grooves around the  cylinders
Tony

Glen

Good eye Tony.....

The piston coating is called hard anodizing, it is the same coating they put on nitro pistons.  Callies crank and rods....basically all blower stuff.  Its 565 CI with 9.5-1 compression.....the blow off valves stay open during cruise and idle and dump off blower pressure,  they close after W.O.T. and provide the boost.  

they are the two red valves in this picture below...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"

The piston coating is called hard anodizing, it is the same coating they put on nitro pistons.  Callies crank and rods....basically all blower stuff.  Its 565 CI with 9.5-1 compression.....the blow off valves stay open during cruise and idle and dump off blower pressure,  they close after W.O.T. and provide the boost.  

they are the two red valves in this picture below...

I will be danged...  I thought the pistons looked like  hard anodizing.  We have tried that on aluminum pump sections of power glide pumps to reduce wear. The anodizing  process warped the sections too much.

What block is used?  I see unique bolt pattern on the oil pan

Blow off valves must open when throttle is closed from high boost or the pressure feeds back and will tear up the compressor.

kool... can not wait for first test runs
Tony

UGLY OLDS

Glen ... Beautiful work as always.... 8)

With all the parts special & unique to this engine , is there a reason that main cap bolts are being used rather than studs & nuts ?  Are the bolts stronger in this application??
 Just wondering .... :?

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****