1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Very nice Glen...  I need to visit your place again.  but ...  I've been sick with stomach flu in january for a week, then some head cold thing, then... .... so far, 2011 sucks for my health
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

This car is really pushing my abilities....I have never done anything like this before.....at least in the past it was always covered with carpet so I didnt have to be so accurate.  I got the tunnel wrapped up today...well excluding the dzus fasteners.

This filler panel goes on each side of the frame rail, the tunnel fastens to it.

the horseshoe just gave me a way to attacht the tunnel to the bulkhead.

I moved to the trunk after that....this is 5052 aluminum

the workstands have been a big helper

Bruce Dorsi

Impressive as always, Glen !!!!!!!!!!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

chimp koose

superior craftsmanship to say the least!

Flipper

Those jack stands are downright cool!

kb426

Very nice. You're making good progress.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Nice work as alway's Glen ....  8)    
Does the effect of the Ice/Water intercooler & pump  justify the weight of all the components   :?:
 (   I assume it does or it wold not be going in the car ... :(U)  )

How much difference does it make  :?:   Maybe that is a better question ... :idea:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
 How much difference does it make  :?:   Maybe that is a better question ...

I have heard a lot of numbers but I dont know how it would affect my specific combination.    I think with no intercooler you could cut my HP in half, you could not run as much timing or boost, with an air to air intercooler (no ice water) you are still limited probably to 1300 HP.....The temps after the procharger can be as high as 300 degrees, but after the ic you can see 60 degree air.

I started making some mounts for it today so I can secure it in the car.  

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Glen"
I have heard a lot of numbers but I dont know how it would affect my specific combination.    I think with no intercooler you could cut my HP in half, you could not run as much timing or boost, with an air to air intercooler (no ice water) you are still limited probably to 1300 HP.....The temps after the procharger can be as high as 300 degrees, but after the ic you can see 60 degree air.

Glen:  Does anyone use water/alcohol injection with the Procharger system?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Glen

UGLY OLDS

WOW   :shock:      I never knew it made that much of a difference ...With numbers like that it is more like an intrigal part of the engine combination , rather than something "added on" ... 8)

I learned something new today ...  :idea:  

Thanks Glen .... );b(

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

Some racers argue that a procharger and a air to water intercooler should count as two power adders, instead of one

Crosley.In.AZ

the dash looks recent add-on.  I do not remember Nova dash as that shape

Looks like Monte Carlo
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

I read  in a book about modifying and calibrating quadrajets (by doug rowe?)that a 3degree F change in temperature was equivalent to a 1% horsepower increase if proper A/F ratio was maintained.

wayne petty

ice to water intercooler...

hmm...

it would probably take a special pump...

but.. would it not be really effective...   with alcohol and dry ice.. as a cooling fluid medium...   you might only have problems with the air freezing as it passes through the inter cooler..

i don't know if you could use straight antifreeze.. as its not as thermal conductive as 30  to 50 percent water with 70 to 50 percent antifreeze.

the dry ice might take it to low and solidify it..

bilge pumps may also not have the flow you might want... i know you forward think everything..  but they are a low head no restriction type of pump...

perhaps... one of the electric water pumps from an engine application..  mounted through the side of the box... so the motor is not submerged..  

i am thinking like a electric version for the mopar big blocks with a factory timing cover.. 4 bolt flange about 6 inches in diameter..

you should have the ability to create the internal pump housing flutes to allow you to create a single sided flow pattern... i don't know what the timing cover side of the pump housing internals are called..

this would/ MIGHT create a LOT more flow than the sump  pump...

unless you are running a dry sump... and can add an additional  stage.. but that would probably overcome the flow rating of the intercooler causing the tubes to crush the fins like a radiator that was mentioned a few months before where the tubes expanded till there was NO airflow between them. ....

you are going to have to move a LOT of water to cool the air coming in that fast....

these are just thoughts....   from a guy seated at his chair thousands of miles away...  sort of a back seat driver...  just wishing .. that you have included several camera mounts... and a GPS mount..  so you can track speeds if the gps can keep up with brutal acceleration that car is going to have....

i am also taking that you are going to prepare... several sheets of masonite... with paint that might match the car... to store under the car on the trailer or transporter... so you can lay it out in the pits...  that car is far too good looking to park on asphalt..   (or even painted black.. with a dashed line along one edge... so it looks like its parked on the drag strip already.. when its in the pits.. )    don't forget... big sheets of plastic mirrors are available.. as are mirror tile...  you are going to need something to help the crowds see under the car when you are in the pits...