1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

to be honest i dont know....I didnt ask.  It had to be done and I do not have the skill or patience to do that kind of tedious work.  Sometimes you just have to call in the pro's

the stainless will be a little more expensive up front but I will save money by not having to jet hot coat them.

kb426

I understand. This is looking great. From what I've seen of your work, the paint and finish will be great also. I like where it is now. The craftsmanship in raw form is one of my favorite things to see.
TEAM SMART

sirstude

Beautiful car.  I have been seeing lots of the bodied cars have the headers pointing out right behind the front wheels like yours.  Is this mostly a space concern, so you don't have to run the headers under the car?  I would think this would help in getting the car lower also?  The other part of the question, is the exhaust turn up to get some downforce help in the front from the exhaust like the Funny cars?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Glen

Yes, i think the header out the fender really started with the turbo guys, it was easier to run the exhaust forward to the turbo which was mounted  up front and then just dump the exhaust out the fender in front of the tire.  some of the longer cars started putting the turbos behind the tires and then just dumping out the fender.

And yes, I have read some numbers where they have put the car on scales and then spooled the turbo on the trans brake and measured the difference in weight.  I did not want to run the exhaust under the car.

and even though the heads are offset left and right, it still looks symetrical

there you go Tony....the dash fits too.

we also put the bungs in the tube for air temp sending unit, boost pressure, and map sensor.

Glen

I thought I had plenty of room for radiators but it got sucked up really fast.  Ron Davis makes these 18x21 radiators and they are very nice, the fans and shrouds were included, double pass.  The NPT fittings are on the bottom so i flipped them on their side and put the fittings in the center.   He makes them for dragsters so the off they were cheaper than asking for custom built pieces.

UGLY OLDS

Looks good as aways , Glen ....  8)    What are the Red /Maroon  parts on the air tube coming out of the turbo by the cowl   ????  

Thanxxxx.....

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

great looking ....

i just had an idea...    think of the super trap exhaust discs..

i wonder if one with a water jet cutter.. could create multiples of discs.. put short springs between them  on the bolts.. and some kind of top cover that turns..     this would be an air strainer..  that could NOT get sucked in..

turning the adjustable top changes the gap between the discs to change the amount of debris rejection..   so you could tighten the gap in a few seconds for street driving.. and open it way up for track time..

this might keep FOD from the impeller blade..     i would imagine that the inter cooler is going to need flushing once in a while..  to rid it of dust build up on the pressure side..

one might even figure some kind of K&N custom air cleaner that would slip over the entire assembly..  as you cannot wait out dusty days to drive..

just ideas i have..   like directional fins on wheels.. and sub frames for early F bodies..    if you make it .. somebody will buy it..

if you want more thought.. just pm me..

sorry to step in..

Glen

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Looks good as aways , Glen ....  8)    What are the Red /Maroon  parts on the air tube coming out of the turbo by the cowl   ????  

they are called blow off valves, they stay open during vacuum (idle and cruise) releasing any boost trying to build.  At WOT (no vacuum) they close and provide boost, when you let off WOT they open so the blower doesnt get hammered when the throttle body is suddenly closed.

if you watch the dyno video you can see it open at the end of the pull and the concussion rattles the glass on the dyno room.

Quote from: "wayne petty"this might keep FOD from the impeller blade..    

I have a couple of bars at the radiator and I can mount a lexan shield there to keep stray gravel and sand out from a direct hit.

UGLY OLDS

they are called blow off valves, they stay open during vacuum (idle and cruise) releasing any boost trying to build.  At WOT (no vacuum) they close and provide boost, when you let off WOT they open so the blower doesnt get hammered when the throttle body is suddenly closed.

NEAT .. I am familiar  with how regular blowoff valves work but have not seen one that works like that .... :idea:
I learned somthin' new today ... 8)

Thanks .....

Bob... :wink:

Glen

I haven't updated you guys lately, been working but its small stuff that really doesnt show up in pictures.  I finished the core support/bumper mount/radiator mount.  It turned out great and squared up the front end nicely.

Spent a small fortune on AN fittings for the cooling system, and the fuel delivery at the motor.  Still have to run fuel lines from the tank to the motor and the fittings it will require and the -12 AN lines back to the tank for the return.

boost reference fuel pressure regulator (why cant they make them black)

throttle arm, i didnt want a cable, the pedal has a toe hook for safety.

Meziere water pump and the dedenbear water header at the motor plate.

this picture makes it look high in the chassis but its below the centerline of the radiator and just a couple inchese above the outlet.

kb426

Looking good. I sympathize with your plumbing bill. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Looking good. I sympathize with your plumbing bill. :)

Me too. I remember what it cost 30 years ago.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

Well, while I wait on more backordered AN fittings I might as well start some wiring.  I found these boards and they are sweet, the board on the right is basically just a really board, power comes in and then off the trigger power is sent to the device.  

The board on the left is pretty slick, the signal goes in on one side and then is sent out on the other corners.  For example when the Trans Brake switch is activated the signal goes out to the two step wire on the msd box, the TB solenoid, and the EFI box.  
Should have my transmission late next week, one of the last big expenses before paint.  

if anyone is interested in the relay board they are at www.leashelectronics.com

Glen

thanks to the good people at Hughes I have a new XP4 transmission assembled by the world famous Tony himself.

I have most of the plumbing completed, waiting on 4 -20 AN fittings that are intergallactic back order, which includes the two fittings that run from the water pump to the bottom of the radiators.

fuel pump is mounted in the trunk...

these wiring pics are not current....i started by placing the electrical stuff where i wanted it and then started routing some wires, i had to be careful not to route some ignition wires next to EFI wires and the digital dash.  Since these pics were taken I have cleaned up the wiring  and routed things nicely.

UGLY OLDS

WOW ....It just keeps getting better & better   :b-d:

Bob..... :wink: