1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have made tubs in the past. It's a lot easier if you have access to a machine to make a Pittsburg seam.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

_Drewfus_

that makes me go

w

o

w

very cool, on so many levels, very, very very wow.

paint time must be about now?

Congrats, great achievement,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

UGLY OLDS

Lookin' GREAT Glen..... );b(

Your wheelie bars look stronger than the tri-anglulated four bars on the back of my "A"...... 8)

You swept the floor again, huh  :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Your wheelie bars look stronger than the tri-anglulated four bars on the back of my "A"...... 8)

thanks, i still have one more X to put in the bottom section of the wheelie bar, but I want to verify the proper lengthe before I do.  The tube adapters are only tacked in just in case I have to shorten them.

Glen

I finished up this tube this weekend.  This rule goes into effect at the first of the year.  The driveshaft must be enclosed in a piece of .050 min. chromoly sheet and have four attachment points on the chassis.  I just added to my existing loop and added the rear attachment points.

this loop takes car of the rear u-joint/driveshaft area, its made in two pieces so you can take the front cone off and to access the rear u-joint bolts.  This piece is made by Tom Yancer race cars here in AZ

The NHRA inspector came over and signed off on the car and gave me my chassis sticker.  As promised 25.2 and 25.4, the car is good to 6.0 seconds

and my motor plate is finished off.

Flipper

What categories require the driveshaft tube?

Glen

Quote from: "Flipper"What categories require the driveshaft tube?

it is in the 2011 rule book under advanced ET, which i understand to be 7.50 or quicker.  Google Barbara Nesbitt, she was injured when a drive shaft broke at the stripe and got into the seat with her, this rule is in response to that incident.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2012 all full-bodied vehicles, where the OEM floor has been removed, each end of driveshaft must have round 360-degree driveshaft loops within 6 inches of U-joints. Additionally, driveshaft must be covered by 360-degree tube, covering the front U-joint and extending rearward a minimum 12 inches. Minimum thickness of tube is .050-inch chromoly or titanium. Driveshaft tube must utilize a minimum of four attachment points to the chassis, either bolted with minimum 5/16 SAE bolts or welded or 1/4-inch push/pull pins. See
General Regulations 2:4.

UGLY OLDS

Looks good as always Glen .... 8)    I can see why the tube is a good idea ...... :idea:   Being certified to 6.0 seconds ,
what happens after your first 5 second pass   :?:    :wink:

Bob .......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

The Yancer adapter is nice. Before cnc I don't think anybody could afford stuff like that. I used to look at stuff like Mark Niver's and wonder how many hours he spent machining parts. Then I kinda figured out that I wasn't a very good machinest compared to the good guys.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Glen

Im surprised nobody asked about the final HP number on the motor.  I left the motor in Michigan back in May.  Steve was working on a new prototype inlet for the procharger.  He asked if I would wait for this new product.  This info was made public today so here is a pic of my motor.  I had to wait until his new CNC machine was delivered, programmed and running but I think it will be worth the wait.  Dyno numbers should be here next week.  

I also sold my medium sized intercooler and went to the largest one that chiseled performance makes.

the old:

the new:

kb426

What is the logic on the inlet?
TEAM SMART

Glen

Quote from: "kb426"What is the logic on the inlet?

He made the first one out of fiberglass and put it on an f2 (smaller blower), it picked up almost 200 HP on the dyno.

He put it on a f3 yesterday and picked up an additional 140 hp and 3 lbs of boost without changing anything.

He is shaping and funneling the air as it goes in.  Some of the high tech cars have exotic inlets from the front bumper all the way back to the inlet to help feed it.  My 66 nova wont have anything like that.  Will i see any gain in hp over 100 mph?  maybe not....but I think we will see an improvement in the first 330 feet.

kb426

Free horsepower. Pretty hard to beat that.
TEAM SMART

_Drewfus_

any updates?

I realise there's alot going on at the moment, but I appreciate seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

Glen

Thanks for asking....I have been trying to keep the updates interesting and I just didnt have much to post.  Its frustrating, so many things are delayed....I waited 4 months for this -20 AN fitting to arrive, it came in today.  

Nobody makes an electric fuel pump that will support this motor unless you put the tank in the front, which I dont want.  I bought a waterman mechanical fuel pump that is cable driven, its the same setup that Nascar uses.  
The pump runs 12.5 GPM  :shock: Its a piece of art.  Sorry, no pics i sent it straight to Morris.

I put a piece of carbon fiber on the passenger door so i can mount some of the electronics to it.

I made these quarter panels, you are looking at the b-pillar/quarter panels.

I finished the tinwork for the trunk....It is my first attempt so its not perfect, i learned a lot.  I plan to powder coat it all charcoal grey.

The dark panels center rear are steel and tacked in.

this should be self explanatory, thats the coilovers hanging, the trunk floor to the bottom of the pic