1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

Good question, i left those details in steve's hands so he must feel confident in that setup.

Flipper

Car is looking great!  That thing is going to be a beast.

Crosley.In.AZ

Glen dropped me some email on the engine dyno tuning in Michigan..

I will let Glen post the numbers, but his motor made a bunch of torque and horsepower.  

On the flip side it was determined the carb was holding the engine back, so the carb will get re-worked
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

Yep....I flew to MI on Friday and spent Saturday with Steve and the new motor.  Air to fuel ratio is critical on these because you can quickly burn a hole in a piston.  He made some low stress test pulls and was measuring fuel volume going in the carb and the air fuel ratio.  He started making big changes but the air fuel ratio was not coming down and the volume of fuel was not going up.  So the carb has to go back to C&S for a checkup.  I got what I wanted though, and that was a good lesson on carb tuning.  I wont have a final number for a couple weeks as the carb goes back and forth.  He threw some of his shop valve covers on for the tuning.

With all that it still made 1943 HP at only 23.7 lbs. of boost, he will finish around 29 lbs. of boost.  2100 HP should be no problem once the timing is in, fuel is in and the boost is up.

[/img]

UGLY OLDS

ONLY 1943 Horsepower  :?:  :shock:   Incredible .... 8)  

They sure don't make 'em like they used ta'   .....    

Good Job.... :b-d:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

That's going to be a brutally fast ride.  Wow.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Glen, thanks for the update. Everything is looking good. Blown gas is horribly sensitive as you know. That's a lot of power for a steel block. How quick do you expect this to be?
TEAM SMART

Glen

Quote from: "kb426"Glen, thanks for the update. Everything is looking good. Blown gas is horribly sensitive as you know. That's a lot of power for a steel block. How quick do you expect this to be?

I try to think slow....I know each .05 of ET improvement requires exponential HP.  But, I am going to add some bars to pass a 25.2 inspection which will pass for 6.00 or slower.  I am so close I might as well.  It currently passes for 25.4 which is 7.50 or slower.  Hollis Jones runs a 67 nova with the same setup and has ran 6.95 at 200 mph at 31xx+ pounds, steel and glass! no lexan.  The question is "what can you afford to run?"

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"I try to think slow....I know each .05 of ET improvement requires exponential HP.  But, I am going to add some bars to pass a 25.2 inspection which will pass for 6.00 or slower.  I am so close I might as well.  It currently passes for 25.4 which is 7.50 or slower.  Hollis Jones runs a 67 nova with the same setup and has ran 6.95 at 200 mph at 31xx+ pounds, steel and glass! no lexan.  The question is "what can you afford to run?"

gonna add some bars to the cage?  I heard that suggestion some where

:wink:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"gonna add some bars to the cage?  I heard that suggestion some where

:wink:  :wink:

All i have to change is the two smaller door bars from 1.25 to 1.50
Add another single bar diagonally across the halo
and add some more small 1" od gussets in the corners.  I cant pass that up.

Glen

As if you guys didnt think Im crazy already.
I did get these bars added.  It was a total of 10 of these gussets in the corners, the additional halo crossbar, and changed one of the door bars.
Now the car is certified to 6.0 seconds slower 25.2

Check out these valve covers, clearly not an Ebay item  :shock:

kb426

Way cool. When did everything we do become an art form?
TEAM SMART

river1

Quote from: "kb426"Way cool. When did everything we do become an art form?

when it is done by artists.

glen=artist
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

UGLY OLDS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said .... :b-d:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

Hey,If anyone needs any wheel tubs..................Dont call me, this was a big pain in the neck.  The white is just a protective film...they are aluminum.

And i moved the parachute handles, i was not happy with the other mount: