What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Played "Happy Homeowner" Syndrom all day yesterday!
Found my kitchen cabinet under the sink was full of water!! So upon examination, decided that the current fawset was leaking under.
Went to Lowes, found a suitable replacement, and started!
First, the hot water valve was frozen open, so I had to shut off the water to the house. Then I found that the mounting under the darn thing was coroded and rusted to the point of using my Dremmel with a cut-off wheel to cut all the connections free!!!
It took me from 9am to 4PM to aclomplish this PIA!! Started with 6 tools ended up with a zillion!!! Even had to go buy a tool!, Which I returned and got my dollars back.
My left side is aching from laying there with the sharp edge of the cabinet poking me even I used some pillows and some folded towles!!
End results are that everything worked perfectly, NO LEAKS! I'm happy!!

Bruce

phat46

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Played "Happy Homeowner" Syndrom all day yesterday!
Found my kitchen cabinet under the sink was full of water!! So upon examination, decided that the current fawset was leaking under.
Went to Lowes, found a suitable replacement, and started!
First, the hot water valve was frozen open, so I had to shut off the water to the house. Then I found that the mounting under the darn thing was coroded and rusted to the point of using my Dremmel with a cut-off wheel to cut all the connections free!!!
It took me from 9am to 4PM to aclomplish this PIA!! Started with 6 tools ended up with a zillion!!! Even had to go buy a tool!, Which I returned and got my dollars back.
My left side is aching from laying there with the sharp edge of the cabinet poking me even I used some pillows and some folded towles!!
End results are that everything worked perfectly, NO LEAKS! I'm happy!

Bruce

My brother and I in our handyman business have replaced many faucets, sometimes it's just easier to pull the sink if things are too corroded.

Mikej

Sharp metal chisel  on the nuts, wood chisel on the plastic nuts or take the faucet apart on top and use a sawzall. Never had to take the sink out unless I was replacing it. Hour tops.

BFS57

Hello;
All the time I was working under there I was thinking "don't screw up any thing else! Almost called a plummer but the response time was hours away, so I just stuck with it, frustration and all!!!
GOT ER DONE!!

Bruce

UGLY OLDS

"So where was it?"

Frank ..This one is soo simple .... You put it right where you would not loose it ... :idea:

Like was discussed before ..The best way to find the parts you put away for your car is to buy new ones ..... :roll:

On a different note ... Has anyone ever had neurosurgery on the nerves in your spine ??  

Bob ..
:wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "Mikej"Sharp metal chisel  on the nuts, wood chisel on the plastic nuts or take the faucet apart on top and use a sawzall. Never had to take the sink out unless I was replacing it. Hour tops.

We can usually replace a faucett in 15-20 minutes without pulling the sink, if everything goes good, about 40 minutes pulling it. We can't charge our usual hourly rate or we woould only make $20 to split between us.  :D

WZ JUNK

I have wanted a flag pole in the yard for a long time.  This summer I was given a Ham Radio antenna mast. (All I had to do was trim some trees and take it down.  That is a story in itself)  It is a 40 footer that is made with a hinge and a winch so that the tower can be tilted up and down.  Today I set the primary pole that the winch and hinge are mounted.  It is the white pole located in the left front of the attached picture.   Now I will start cleaning and painting the mast pole.  My first step in the process will be straightening the pole.  The mast is made of several sections of telescoping pipe that are welded together.  If you look close at the picture, it is on sawhorses just in front of my shop between my pickup and the shop.  This mast was made 40 years ago and while it is structurally sound,  it is not very neatly done.  It will fit right in with the other junk around this place.  

If you have any thoughts on how to straighten a 40 foot long, telescoping pipe, pass it along.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

bowtietillidie

When I was  still working we straightened lots of structural steel
with your flag pole , I would use two metal horses ( stands) .  Place the stands as far apart as possible ( about 6 inches of overhang on each end ) Turn the pole so the bend part is facing straight up. anchor the pole to keep from rotating.  Using a rose bud heating tip on your torch , heat opposite from the bend.   DO NOT use much heat I would start with about 500 degrees , you can buy temp sticks at your welding store .   As soon as you get to 500 degrees stop  start pining the heated area.   Want to see your progress ? Stretch a string the length of the pole after it has cooled down.
Depending on the bend it may take several heat applications.  Don't give up and don't try to hurry it may come easy or NOT , but it will come your way.  If you have more questions ask and I'll try to answer    

PS:Don't be temped to use more heat if thing aren't going your way.  If you get it to hot Like RED  you will have to start over. When this happens we always let it set then started over the next day
BOWTIETILLIDIE

WZ JUNK

I was able to straighten the flag pole today.  I laid out some tapered string lines, roughly the taper of the flag pole, across the slab in front of my shop.  I place some wood V blocks over these string lines so that I could lay the pole in them and rotate it to find the bends.   There were two, one near the very top and one near the middle.  I used some large blocks of wood, and the mass of an overweight 65 year old man to bend the pole.(ME)  I was surprised by the ease that it worked back into a useable piece.

An old fat man is still a good thing to have around.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

I made a round trip to Monticello Ill to pick up soda for Frank's shop.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'm taking a day of vacation to work on the 51. I bought 2 more lights to help with the painting. After hanging them, 1 bulb wouldn't work. I went and got a replacement and 5 minutes later the new fixture craters. The replacement for it is up and working as I type. I hope the rest of the day get's better. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

4 .... count em, 4 light tubes.  8 footers.  Bought, replaced. they all 4 work.  I did not drop - break any of them.  Yet.

the weekend is young, we shall see
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

The radiation plaque was removed Wednesday, but I've got double vision for a while, so I'm wearing a pirate patch to keep from seeing double.  No pain. :D
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

Hope things go well for you Phil.  Congratulations on your retirement.
George

WZ JUNK

My wife and I went on a run with some friends today.  A great afternoon.  Some back roads and then a run on old route 66.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck