What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The radiation plaque was removed Wednesday, but I've got double vision for a while, so I'm wearing a pirate patch to keep from seeing double.  No pain. :D

Best to you Phil on the eye and retirement.

I am a few yrs behind you on retirement, seem to getting further behind $ each week.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Digger

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The radiation plaque was removed Wednesday, but I've got double vision for a while, so I'm wearing a pirate patch to keep from seeing double.  No pain. :D

AARGH!
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

58 Yeoman

Thanks again for the well wishes.  I"m looking forward to retirement; 4 days and counting.  I got to choose what we're having for the dinner, and which retirees I wanted to come (I always thought that they were all invited).

Weird feeling; my eye is still red and very dilated.  I go back to see the doc on the 11th.

Back at ya, digger!
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Josh and I put the engine in his S10.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Josh and I put the engine in his S10.
Well, that's a new project. First generation or newer S10 ?In making room for my exercise bike in my garage and I uncovered some parts from the ('87) S15 that I stripped for the Jeepster. Not much and mostly machanical but it could use a different home. Did you get that bolt (?) out of that '34's axel? GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Well, that's a new project. First generation or newer S10 ?In making room for my exercise bike in my garage and I uncovered some parts from the ('87) S15 that I stripped for the Jeepster. Not much and mostly machanical but it could use a different home. Did you get that bolt (?) out of that '34's axel? GPster

97 S10 SS 4.3 engine. I kinda threw a rod in the original engine.

Yes I got the perch pin out, I adapted a ball joint press to push on it, and alternated heat and penetrating oil on it for three days before it came loose.

fast401

Jacked the AMX up to inspect the front suspension and change the oil.  Gotta find out why it broke into a shimmy on the way home from a car show in sept.  I rebuilt the whole front end back in the late 90's but I didn't do the idler or pittman arms.  Something still feels loose and I get a clunking sound sometimes.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"

Quote97 S10 SS 4.3 engine. I kinda threw a rod in the original engine.

Isn't "Kinda threw a rod" a little like being "Somewhat  Pregnant"  :shock:  :?:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

Hey Bob...remember that they're from Ohio... :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

Quote97 S10 SS 4.3 engine. I kinda threw a rod in the original engine.

Isn't "Kinda threw a rod" a little like being "Somewhat  Pregnant"  :shock:  :?:

Bob..... :wink:

Hey, I was able to save the heads, so it was not a total loss. :roll:

I spent the afternoon assembling a T5. I got to 5th gear on the countershaft, and the snap ring groove was covered up by the gear. I had changed the 5th gear ratio, and the new gear was .075" thicker than the old one. I did not have the right spacer, and my supplier said it's no longer available, so I had to make a mandrel, and cut .075 off the spacer I had. It is hardened steel, so a carbide tool, and light cuts were needed, but I got it done.

jaybee

Quote from: "fast401"Jacked the AMX up to inspect the front suspension and change the oil.  Gotta find out why it broke into a shimmy on the way home from a car show in sept.  I rebuilt the whole front end back in the late 90's but I didn't do the idler or pittman arms.  Something still feels loose and I get a clunking sound sometimes.

I've seen idler arms do that.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

fast401

Quote from: "jaybee"
Quote from: "fast401"Jacked the AMX up to inspect the front suspension and change the oil.  Gotta find out why it broke into a shimmy on the way home from a car show in sept.  I rebuilt the whole front end back in the late 90's but I didn't do the idler or pittman arms.  Something still feels loose and I get a clunking sound sometimes.

I've seen idler arms do that.

fast401

I found nothing loose.  Any guesses?

idrivejunk

Quote from: "fast401"I found nothing loose.  Any guesses?

That AMX is a unibody, isn't it? When you get back under it for further inspection, don't limit your looking to just the front end parts. Look also for cracks in the structure or separated seams, especially near suspension / steering mounting points. GM's control arm mounts used to rip off sometimes, and we all know about fatigued classic Mustang-type structural problems. Usually if I have a worn idler I notice it on the highway as a wobble, and it requires more input to drive straight in a crosswind. A pitman arm would have to be cracked, and thats something I would not want to drive another mile!
Matt

348tripower

Well today is the day. At 11am the wife gets a whole new left knee. Looks like I will be out of the shop for a few days.
Don Colliau